Totally stressing about QR!

mthomas2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to take the OAT(Nov.22nd) and I haven't really improved on the QR section. I have used kaplan, topscore & oat achiever and i keep scoring below 300. I can't think quick enough when I am testing. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, good luck on your test! :) I just took mine this past Tuesday and I did decent on the QR (320)...and I'm not good at math either. I used OAT achiever (got a 290 on the first QR and then a 330 on the second QR) as well as the Kaplan QR practice for timing and finding new ways to calculate things faster. Just answer what you can first and if you can't answer it fast, put an answer and move on to the stuff you can do since you can go back to the questions you had a hard time on anyway if you have more time. Between now and then, maybe you can practice breaking down word problems (which were the hardest for me) and reviewing geometry stuff? (that's what I did) I hope this helps somewhat. ^_^;

I just took my OAT the other day and I guess I did okay. The best advice i could give u is to go through ALL the questions and answer the easier ones first

QR wasn't bad at all. Most questions were straight forward computation. Word problems were towards the end. It just takes practice, practice, practice! Achiever QR is a good place to start your practice. Very similar to SAT math.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am about to take the OAT(Nov.22nd) and I haven't really improved on the QR section. I have used kaplan, topscore & oat achiever and i keep scoring below 300. I can't think quick enough when I am testing. What should I do?

Try to find somebody that has old Kaplan materials...there was this one Kaplan book I worked with that provided strategies and shortcuts to the problems. You can also always search on Amazon.com "math shortcuts" or similar keywords to find books that can help you with your speed.

Try to find somebody that has old Kaplan materials...there was this one Kaplan book I worked with that provided strategies and shortcuts to the problems. You can also always search on Amazon.com "math shortcuts" or similar keywords to find books that can help you with your speed.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I knew this before taken the OAT today.

QR wasn't as bad as expected. However, it was the lowest score I recieved
(310) and I really didn't improve much from the practice test, but I am glad it is over.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I knew this before taken the OAT today.

QR wasn't as bad as expected. However, it was the lowest score I recieved
(310) and I really didn't improve much from the practice test, but I am glad it is over.

Haha...don't worry, I totally bombed the QR and got a 270 but still got into SCCO, SUNY, and Berkeley...:cool:

May I ask what your other scores were (alferec)? Those are 3 of the schools that I have applied to, any advice? Can I ask why you chose SCCO over SUNY & Berkeley? How was the interview process with each? I would really appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks!

May I ask what your other scores were (alferec)? Those are 3 of the schools that I have applied to, any advice? Can I ask why you chose SCCO over SUNY & Berkeley? How was the interview process with each? I would really appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks!

I don't remember the exact scores of each section, but I got a 330 AA and a 350 TS. You must note that despite my average OAT scores and average GPA (3.4 cum), I probably got in because I have strong ECs (Army ROTC, many hours of volunteering, etc.).

I chose SCCO primarily because of the location. Also, SCCO consistently produces excellent clinicians. We also have an awesome clinic - you'll see exactly what I mean when you come for interviews. Berkeley has a great program too but the city is just not for me, and the facilities are nothing compared to SCCO. And SUNY was simply just too far (it was my third choice).

The interview process for each:
- SCCO: I had the traditional "ask-question-then-answer-it" inteview. Somewhat tough, but I came prepared so it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be.
- Both SUNY and Berkeley were very informal. Pretty much a conversation with a few interview-type questions sprinkled here and there. Note that my SUNY interview was done by Dr. Johnston, who came to my school, and may be different from the in-school interview at SUNY (I believe they have a panel interview there).