Totally, Utterly Immobilized

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duysal

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So, in two weeks the floodgates will open and the event I have been working toward for two years will begin. The problem is, I am so freaked out I can't move. I work full time as an assistant, which I love, but I am also finishing up this semester's A and P classes this weekend. I am trying to write a personal statement (not getting anywhere) and the only thing completed is my LOR's.

My biggest concern is that my DAT is scheduled for May 26th, and I feel completely terrified about taking it, with good reason. I have looked over the material for eons and still it doesn's sink in. The Kaplan quizzes for math and orgo take me 4X the amount of time they're supposed to, and even though I have every single resource at home, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I love Destroyer, but there never seems to be enough hours in the day to do all I want study wise. I am only scheduled for a May 26th DAT because I want my entire application in by June 1st, and I want to have enough time to wait 3 months and retake the DAT if I have to (have a feeling I'll have to) within the '08 cycle.

Does anyone have any practical advice? Shoulder to cry on? ;) I know, others probably have it worse. Inspirational stories? Sorry, I just had to discuss this with people who would understand. I literally feel like I am barrelling full-speed towards a brick wall. What deserves my attention first, since everything is due the same week? Personal statement, AADSAS application, DAT test? How did you guys juggle the final month of insanity before AADSAS opened up?

Many, many thanks in advance for your insights.

Duysal

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not mentally and physically ready then don't take it.

Thanks for your input. That really is the bottom line. But, the reality is that it has to be taken at some point, so I better try it out at least and go from there. That's what I will do...

Just remember, if you take it and do bad, then you gotta DO IT AGAIN. At that point, I think you will be disappointed and stressed out more with the fact you gotta improve the score.

IF you are not ready, you are not ready. Don't waste your time and money by just taking DAT because you think you have to, when you are not prepared.

I suggest you go sit in those classes you have problems with. That seems to be the best way for you.

Be strong and follow through. Worst case you will reapply next cycle. 1 year is plenty of time for studying DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you're just freaking out a little bit. I was like that too, a few weeks before my test. You sit there feeling like you don't know anything but it's really just your mind playing tricks on you. Also, like those above me said, don't take it if you're not ready. Good luck.

I took the DAT at the end of August and my AADSAS application was in much earlier. You have to remember that it takes AADSAS a lot of time to get your application sent out so if you turn in the application on June 1st you should have a couple of months to complete the DAT and have both arrive to schools at the same time. Definately do not rush the test if you do not feel ready, wasting money on an application due to a bad score and taking the test over again is not fun...trust me I know. Just buckle down and study hard and schedule the test for sometime in July and your application should be okay.