Bootcamp practice test scores: Can be totally skewed by one person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoh95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*This may be the reason you would never want to rely on "practice test scores"

So, the score that you get at the end of each practice tells you that you did "better than 92.5% of other test takers" based on the other BC people along with a number of 21 or so...

(I know that this is similar to how the ADA would score us since it's relative to other test takers..)

But my question is, lets say, I take the same o chem practice test #5 a hundred times, do those scores go into effect of the pool of percentages?

What if I took it 200 times and got all 30's.. am I skewing that percentage over?

Has anyone thought about this?

I know this is the least important thing I can be thinking about but I'm just curious!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the same thing when designing the test system, and to avoid this problem only your first attempt will be recorded into our database to estimate your score. I also don't record any scores from students who get less than 5 questions right (some people just submit a blank test to see the answers) :)

I still don't recommend you to focus exclusively on your practice test scores. They really don't matter that much, but it is nice to know whether or not you're improving. Focus on learning from your mistakes, filling in the gaps of knowledge, studying the explanations in detail, and your score will improve.

Reactions: 4 users
*This may be the reason you would never want to rely on "practice test scores"

So, the score that you get at the end of each practice tells you that you did "better than 92.5% of other test takers" based on the other BC people along with a number of 21 or so...

(I know that this is similar to how the ADA would score us since it's relative to other test takers..)

But my question is, lets say, I take the same o chem practice test #5 a hundred times, do those scores go into effect of the pool of percentages?

What if I took it 200 times and got all 30's.. am I skewing that percentage over?

Has anyone thought about this?

I know this is the least important thing I can be thinking about but I'm just curious!
Agreed this is not important at all, too many students get stuck on scores, when more time should be focused on learning. No test will give students what they want and that is to take a test and be guaranteed a score on the DAT. Wish it were so, but it's not.

The ADA has there own mystical and mysterious way of scoring, using a lot of data that we don't have access to.

Wishing you the best...

Just my 2 cents..Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
I thought the same thing when designing the test system, and to avoid this problem only your first attempt will be recorded into our database to estimate your score. I also don't record any scores from students who get less than 5 questions right (some people just submit a blank test to see the answers) :)

I still don't recommend you to focus exclusively on your practice test scores. They really don't matter that much, but it is nice to know whether or not you're improving. Focus on learning from your mistakes, filling in the gaps of knowledge, studying the explanations in detail, and your score will improve.

Thanks for your reply.

I have one more question for the biology section:
Are the subject-specific tests coming from only practice tests 1-5?
I am counting 200 questions total from all the subject tests.. thought it should be 400

Thanks in advance