Tough but not over yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreOnTheRise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever performed poorly in high school? But when you went to College you started to appreciate school more. Do you wish you'd payed attention so you wouldn't have to work extra hard in those science and math classes in College? It sucks because you feel like you're never going to get the grades you need for vet school. I wish what I knew now back then because it follows you. The teachers were right.

Members don't see this ad.

I was an average student in high school, didn't do poorly, but didn't do great either. Work hard in college and get good grades, that work will pay off. Your high school grades will not follow you.

I was dangerously close to failing out of high school and I'll be starting vet school later this week. Honestly, high school grades really don't matter in the long run outside of getting admitted to an undergrad school and recieving scholarships.

Like raf2769 said, just make sure you work hard and do well in undergrad. A poor high school GPA isn't going to doom you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope because high school science and math was a joke. High school didn't hold my interest because it was simple, so I slacked off because I could. Didn't matter anyway because vet schools don't evaluate your high school performance.

Still managed to become a vet despite completely slacking off in high school and putting in minimal effort. Only thing it counts for are scholarships and undergrad applications.

Has anyone ever performed poorly in high school? But when you went to College you started to appreciate school more. Do you wish you'd payed attention so you wouldn't have to work extra hard in those science and math classes in College? It sucks because you feel like you're never going to get the grades you need for vet school. I wish what I knew now back then because it follows you. The teachers were right.
The thing about high school is that it's not the subject material that really matters, it's your ability to understand how you learn and develop the discipline to learn it. Even people who completely coasted through high school often get slammed in their first year of college because all of the classes are much more difficult than they were in high school (and many people were also used to putting in 0 effort for studying/learning in high school while still doing well). They then mistakenly believe that this means they are not good enough for college or not cut out for pursuing their dream jobs etc. Don't worry about it too much, as feeling that way happens to a lot of people when they start college.

Take the time to figure out what works for you and stick to that. I know for me my biggest issue was discipline - I hated studying, I hated sitting down to write papers ahead of the deadline, I hated any kind of responsible approach to my schoolwork. However, the schoolwork was important and my need to be a procrastinator was not, and I had to change my learning habits to accommodate that. Yes, there are plenty of classes that are pretty hard in college, and yes, in some cases paying more attention in high school could have given you a (very small) leg up in that class. However, doing poorly in high school is not even remotely close to being the nail in your educational coffin. What's important in college is being able to advocate for yourself and your needs (do you need a tutor? testing accommodations? extra help from the professor?) and take the time to get to where you want to be.

As you've seen from some other posters, high school really doesn't have much impact in terms of actual vet school admissions. However, I know that anxiety about not being good enough is something that can definitely impact your ability to do well in your classes, and I encourage you to take some time processing that and cultivating a mindset that's more realistic about your own abilities and capabilities. Most people are significantly more hard on themselves than anyone else is on them and you should know that doing poorly in high school has nothing to do with your ability to succeed in undergrad.

I was an average student in high school, didn't do poorly, but didn't do great either. Work hard in college and get good grades, that work will pay off. Your high school grades will not follow you.
I know high school grades don't follow you. What I mean by follows you is that if you don't pay attention then you will be behind. That's what happen with me. In College you see some of the same material that you should already know from high school, but in my case it's like learning somethings brand new. That's the challenging part.

I was dangerously close to failing out of high school and I'll be starting vet school later this week. Honestly, high school grades really don't matter in the long run outside of getting admitted to an undergrad school and recieving scholarships.

Like raf2769 said, just make sure you work hard and do well in undergrad. A poor high school GPA isn't going to doom you.

I been through 3 high schools. I didn't fail out just got realeast from the first two. The third one is when I actually got it together and graduated. But anyway Congratulations on starting vet school soon!! . I wish you the best of luck!

I'm aware high school grades don't matter. It's just that I wish I've done better in high school to be better suited for College. I'm totally trying my best right now in College. I could study a bit more and eliminate extra things. It's hard to gain experience while you're trying to get good grades. I have one more year left before I become a junior. My sophomore year is very important to me because it will determine will I transfer over to a University and continue to do this.

Nope because high school science and math was a joke. High school didn't hold my interest because it was simple, so I slacked off because I could. Didn't matter anyway because vet schools don't evaluate your high school performance.

Still managed to become a vet despite completely slacking off in high school and putting in minimal effort. Only thing it counts for are scholarships and undergrad applications.

Not everyone could do that. That's a gift. You have the brains. I'm struggling with Math and somewhat science. It's mostly the Math. I feel like I should have payed attention in high school or something, then maybe I wouldn't be so lost all the time.

Last edited:
The thing about high school is that it's not the subject material that really matters, it's your ability to understand how you learn and develop the discipline to learn it. Even people who completely coasted through high school often get slammed in their first year of college because all of the classes are much more difficult than they were in high school (and many people were also used to putting in 0 effort for studying/learning in high school while still doing well). They then mistakenly believe that this means they are not good enough for college or not cut out for pursuing their dream jobs etc. Don't worry about it too much, as feeling that way happens to a lot of people when they start college.

Take the time to figure out what works for you and stick to that. I know for me my biggest issue was discipline - I hated studying, I hated sitting down to write papers ahead of the deadline, I hated any kind of responsible approach to my schoolwork. However, the schoolwork was important and my need to be a procrastinator was not, and I had to change my learning habits to accommodate that. Yes, there are plenty of classes that are pretty hard in college, and yes, in some cases paying more attention in high school could have given you a (very small) leg up in that class. However, doing poorly in high school is not even remotely close to being the nail in your educational coffin. What's important in college is being able to advocate for yourself and your needs (do you need a tutor? testing accommodations? extra help from the professor?) and take the time to get to where you want to be.

As you've seen from some other posters, high school really doesn't have much impact in terms of actual vet school admissions. However, I know that anxiety about not being good enough is something that can definitely impact your ability to do well in your classes, and I encourage you to take some time processing that and cultivating a mindset that's more realistic about your own abilities and capabilities. Most people are significantly more hard on themselves than anyone else is on them and you should know that doing poorly in high school has nothing to do with your ability to succeed in undergrad.

That's exactly how I feel right now. Everything you just said pretty much sums it up. I'm aware of the resources and opportunities I need to get where I want to be. I utilize them. I hated studying and procrastinated alot too in high school. That's a habit of mine that still has to be broken, but I'm not as bad as before. I could still improve though. I talk about becoming a vet so much to everyone, like my family, friends, coworkers, etc. If I don't pursue it then I will feel embarrassed, and I will let down the people who care. I'll be a sophomore this Fall, this last year is important because it will determine will I transfer to a University for my last two years and continue to pursue this. Or do something else I guest.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I feel right now. Everything you just said pretty much sums it up. I'm aware of the resources and opportunities I need to get where I want to be. I utilize them. I hated studying and procrastinated alot too in high school. That's a habit of mine that still has to be broken, but I'm not as bad as before. I could still improve though. I talk about becoming a vet so much to everyone, like my family, friends, coworkers, etc. If I don't pursue it then I will feel embarrassed, and I will let down the people who care. I'll be a sophomore this Fall, this last year is important because it will determine will I transfer to a University for my last two years and continue to pursue this. Or do something else I guest.

People change majors all the time in college. Veterinary medicine is something you should want to do, not feel pressured to do, whether by yourself, your peers, or anyone else. If the people who care truly care then they won't care as long as you're doing something you care...about. Regardless of if you decide to pursue vet med you should do your absolute best because you never know if the field you decide to work towards will want those same grades. A quote I heard once that has stuck with me says that "GPA doesn't reflect your intelligence, it reflects your work ethic". So get cracking and good luck.

I talk about becoming a vet so much to everyone, like my family, friends, coworkers, etc. If I don't pursue it then I will feel embarrassed, and I will let down the people who care.

It's really, really important to not continue to pursue something just because other people might judge you if you change your mind about it. This is YOUR life, your future job, your career we're talking about. Remember the old adage, those who matter won't mind, and those who mind don't matter. The people who truly love and support you will do so regardless of your chosen field. Do not make that mistake. If you don't end up being a vet, it just means that you're not a vet. It doesn't say anything else about your tenacity, interest, passions, the things you've overcome, your interests, or who you are as a person. I spent way too long on the wrong path because I had been studying it for 3.5 years in college and felt like I was so close I just HAD to finish. I ended up changing majors at the last moment, and it was 100% the right decision. This isn't to say you will change your mind, of course. But think long and hard about that feeling of embarrassment and recognize it explicitly as an error in thinking. You're still early in college, so you have time to decide, and when you're done you can take your bachelor's and do something else with it, go to grad school or med school or whatever else you want. If vet school is your passion, then by all means chase your dream, but don't do it because you feel someone might think less of you if you change your mind.

Reactions: 1 users
I talk about becoming a vet so much to everyone, like my family, friends, coworkers, etc. If I don't pursue it then I will feel embarrassed, and I will let down the people who care.

The only person whose opinion matters is your own. The only person who you should care about caring is you. Pursue this field only if you care about it, regardless of whether everyone else does.

I'm doing this for myself and not for anyone else to please. I've always wanted to be a vet. You are all correct. Whatever I choose to do in life positive, my family and friends will still look at me as a success. I know they would. I just need to stop being so concerned about how they would think of me if I don't make it as a vet. The thing is I talk about it so much to them that they expect me to become one. I'm quite sure they get tired of it lol. But it's because I seriously want to do this. After learning things from a vet I used to work with, it made me motivated even more. She was awesome and I miss her a lot. But you know dreams don't always come true. Things happen in life, and so I have to be prepared for that. Just in case. I want to thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It means a lot to me when I listen to what others have to say positive. It help keeps my head up.

Reactions: 1 user