Tough Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjbmwm3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a 20 year old college student trying to decide on what my career is going to be. It has been stressing me out lately. I k.ow you aren't going to be able to tell me what to do, but I suppose I just need to vent.
Well, I've never been sure on what I want to do for as long as I have been thinking about it. It has been such a hard decision for me, that it has started to rob me of my sleep.

I am currently at a community college working to obtain my AA. I was never an amazing student. I did average in high school and began doing better in college mainly getting B's and A's.
My main interest I suppose would be cars, but I really don't see me making a good living doing anything in that field.

During the end of high school and through all of college I have been working at an orthodontist's office. My mother works there and got me the job. My job has just been to do little jobs for the doctor; like cut chains, scan old charts, take photos of study models, etc.

This job sparked the thought of possibly becoming an orthodontist. I love interacting with people and it seems like a fun career.

My concerns are getting into and through dental school and then being able to specialize in orthodontics. It seems like a huge feat, especially being an average student.

I guess I just need encouragement, motivation, or someone to just tell me it's possible.
I usually do well at things I take seriously and put work into, so I suppose if I put my heart into it I could cope just fine.
I haven't began prerequisites for dental school yet, just general education classes to get my AA.

Scary stuff.
Well I guess I will end my rant, just needed to vent.
Thanks and please give me some recommendations.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I'm a 20 year old college student trying to decide on what my career is going to be. It has been stressing me out lately. I k.ow you aren't going to be able to tell me what to do, but I suppose I just need to vent.
Well, I've never been sure on what I want to do for as long as I have been thinking about it. It has been such a hard decision for me, that it has started to rob me of my sleep.

I am currently at a community college working to obtain my AA. I was never an amazing student. I did average in high school and began doing better in college mainly getting B's and A's.
My main interest I suppose would be cars, but I really don't see me making a good living doing anything in that field.

During the end of high school and through all of college I have been working at an orthodontist's office. My mother works there and got me the job. My job has just been to do little jobs for the doctor; like cut chains, scan old charts, take photos of study models, etc.

This job sparked the thought of possibly becoming an orthodontist. I love interacting with people and it seems like a fun career.

My concerns are getting into and through dental school and then being able to specialize in orthodontics. It seems like a huge feat, especially being an average student.

I guess I just need encouragement, motivation, or someone to just tell me it's possible.
I usually do well at things I take seriously and put work into, so I suppose if I put my heart into it I could cope just fine.
I haven't began prerequisites for dental school yet, just general education classes to get my AA.

Scary stuff.
Well I guess I will end my rant, just needed to vent.
Thanks and please give me some recommendations.

Don't hope too much to become an orthodontist, especially if you're only going in for the money. Like 70 percent of pre-dentals want to be an orthodontist, and it's practically the most competitive specialty to get into.

That said, there is ALWAYS hope! So just work hard towards that goal and I'm sure you won't fall far.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

Your story struck a nerve for me because it was in high school that I decided to become an orthodontist. After getting braces, my dad asked my orthodontist (who was a family friend), if I can work for him for the summer. He was the first person I saw that was extremely successful, and he mentored me, telling me which steps I had to take to become an orthodontist like himself. I saw his lifestyle, and it was probably the greatest lifestyle I've ever seen anyone have. He talks on the phone half the time while the assistants are running around doing stuff. Owned 3 practices and made 800k profit. Not saying that money is everything, but if you can have a balanced life, having time for family, friends, loving your work while also making a killing, then why not?

Anyways, back on topic..

You still have a long road ahead of you, so you should take your goals in steps. As you finish each step, you'll realize that the next step has an exponential increase in difficulty, which means you have to work exponentially harder. You should start off your journey by going to the dental schools websites and find out which prereqs are required.

1. Take the prereqs at your community college (you might not be able to as some schools don't take community college credits. call the school just in case).
2. Transfer to a 4-year university
-> keep your gpa above 3.50 to be considered competitive
-> Take upper level science courses and make sure you do well in them.
-> For application purposes, you get an overall GPA and also a science GPA, which means you can't artificially inflate your GPA with Basket Weaving courses.
-> Try to get into a research lab, as it can be an important factor in your applications.
3. Write the Dental admissions test (DAT)
-> A monster in itself, that's why we have an entire subforum devoted to it.
-> Depends on each school, but you would be competitive with a 19 Academic average, which is 80-85th percentile. You can wiki Dental Admissions test for more information.
4. Apply to dental school
-> There's a centralized service called the AADSAS in which you use one application for most of the schools in the States. You could google AADSAS, make an account and see what types of questions that they ask. Texas has their own applications service, but it's hard to get into a Texas school unless you're a resident from there.
-> Extracurricular activities are important here and you wanna get as many hours as you can doing volunteering and at least 50 hours of shadowing dentists.
5. Dental school (4 years)
-> You're officially a gunner if you want to be an orthodontist.
-> Work really hard in dental school, so if you decide to specialize, you're in a position to.
6. Orthodontics Residency (2-3 years)
->this is probably the hardest step, as it is extremely competitive. you must be near the top of your class to get into.

I'm only on step 4, going to step 5 (hopefully), but if you have any more specific questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't hope too much to become an orthodontist, especially if you're only going in for the money. Like 70 percent of pre-dentals want to be an orthodontist, and it's practically the most competitive specialty to get into.

That said, there is ALWAYS hope! So just work hard towards that goal and I'm sure you won't fall far.

Another thing is I'm not sure I see myself practicing general dentistry.
That's why it's scary.

If you feel like ortho is the right path for you, then you should pursue it! Any dental profession is competitive nowadays (yes, some more than others), but if you really have a passion for it, you will excel at it and be able to get into tough specialty programs. I would work on shadowing other dentists (in various specialities), volunteering, doing well in your science pre-reqs, and when you transfer to a university, getting involved in their pre-dental club. Being as involved as possible in dentistry now will give you a good clue as to whether or not you will enjoy the profession as your career. Negative comments will always be out there to discourage you, but I say go for it! The worst thing would be to stop pursuing dentistry just because someone told you it was hard and then to miss out on a career that you would have ended up loving. Follow your gut and explore... you'll never know for sure until you try! ;)

Another thing is I'm not sure I see myself practicing general dentistry.
That's why it's scary.

Shadow a general dentist and see what it's all about! There are plenty of options with specialty programs, though, so if you don't like general don't write off dentistry completely.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

1. Take the prereqs at your community college (you might not be able to as some schools don't take community college credits. call the school just in case).
2. Transfer to a 4-year university
-> keep your gpa above 3.50 to be considered competitive
-> Take upper level science courses and make sure you do well in them.
-> For application purposes, you get an overall GPA and also a science GPA, which means you can't artificially inflate your GPA with Basket Weaving courses.
-> Try to get into a research lab, as it can be an important factor in your applications.
3. Write the Dental admissions test (DAT)
-> A monster in itself, that's why we have an entire subforum devoted to it.
-> Depends on each school, but you would be competitive with a 19 Academic average, which is 80-85th percentile. You can wiki Dental Admissions test for more information.
4. Apply to dental school
-> There's a centralized service called the AADSAS in which you use one application for most of the schools in the States. You could google AADSAS, make an account and see what types of questions that they ask. Texas has their own applications service, but it's hard to get into a Texas school unless you're a resident from there.
-> Extracurricular activities are important here and you wanna get as many hours as you can doing volunteering and at least 50 hours of shadowing dentists.
5. Dental school (4 years)
-> You're officially a gunner if you want to be an orthodontist.
-> Work really hard in dental school, so if you decide to specialize, you're in a position to.
6. Orthodontics Residency (2-3 years)
->this is probably the hardest step, as it is extremely competitive. you must be near the top of your class to get into.

I'm only on step 4, going to step 5 (hopefully), but if you have any more specific questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck!

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice and the step by step process.
I have been look into the University of thh Pacific dental school here on California where I live.

I'm a little confuaed with step 2. My boss just told me that only the prerequisites are needed to get into dental school. Should I finish my AA and transfer to the 4-year and do the prerequisites there, then dental school? Is that what you mean?

I have been look into the University of thh Pacific dental school here on California where I live.

I'm a little confuaed with step 2. My boss just told me that only the prerequisites are needed to get into dental school. Should I finish my AA and transfer to the 4-year and do the prerequisites there, then dental school? Is that what you mean?

Yes, you can major in anything you would like to, and prereqs are required. Some schools, I'm not sure about Pacific, will not take prereqs at community colleges, while others will.

Again, go read Pacific's website to obtain as much information as you can about that school. If you have a specific question that's not on there, then call the school and ask. They hate answering questions that can be found on their website lol.

Yes... dental schools would actually prefer that you do your pre-reqs at a 4-year university as opposed to a community college. Some schools (i.e. Boston, Tufts, Harvard, and maybe some others) don't allow cc credit for science courses.

If you're going to go to dental school, shadow a GP and make sure its something you would be able to do with the rest of your life. The sad reality is that No one can walk into dental school banking on getting ortho, omfs, or even endo.

Yes, you can major in anything you would like to, and prereqs are required. Some schools, I'm not sure about Pacific, will not take prereqs at community colleges, while others will.

Again, go read Pacific's website to obtain as much information as you can about that school. If you have a specific question that's not on there, then call the school and ask. They hate answering questions that can be found on their website lol.

Their website says the prereqs can be taken at a community college if they are transferable to a 4 year.

The confusing part to me is do I need a BA?
My boss says I can go straight to dental school after I take the prereqs. So if I took them at my community college which they might not all be there, I could possibly go from there to dental school and not have to see a 4-year?

Their website says the prereqs can be taken at a community college if they are transferable to a 4 year.

My boss says I can go straight to dental school after I take the prereqs. So if I took them at my community college which they might not all be there, I could possibly go from there to dental school and not have to see a 4-year?

There website says the prereqs can be taken at a community college if they are transferable to a 4 year.

Unless you are in the accelerated program, which is chosen from high school, most schools require you to have a bachelor's degree to enrol.

Unless you are in the accelerated program, which is chosen from high school, most schools require you to have a bachelor's degree to enrol.

That was always what I thought as well. Until my boss said otherwise. Also, UOP's website doesn't say a BA is required.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was always what I thought as well. Until my boss said otherwise. Also, UOP's website doesn't say a BA is required.

Better to get your info from your peers... as your employer has probably been out of school for awhile and things change prettttty fast.

Mine tells me misinformation all the time but i know that she has good intentions... its just that it has changed so much since she did it. My periodontist was like, the application is ONLINE?!

Better to get your info from your peers... as your employer has probably been out of school for awhile and things change prettttty fast.

Mine tells me misinformation all the time but i know that she has good intentions... its just that it has changed so much since she did it. My periodontist was like, the application is ONLINE?!

Haha yeah that's another thing. He is quite old. I could probably talk to my community college counselor and they might know more. Not sure how much they can do

The dentist I was shadowing typed up a nice reference letter for me on his company letterhead. Beautiful letterhead with crazy designs.

Then I told him it's better if he submitted the reference letter online. He was like "So, do you mail this letter anyways just to make sure they get it?" hehe.

The amount of people who get into dental school without a Bachelors every year can be counted on two hands.

Taking your pre reqs at a 4 year would delay you a year or so. Taking them in CC (better ace them if you wanna be taken seriously) eliminates a couple of schools from contention. I just have 2 math courses from CC and it kept me from applying to tufts. If i get into BU and decide to go there I am going to have to take a physics class at a 4 year before Dschool starts.

Haha yeah that's another thing. He is quite old. I could probably talk to my community college counselor and they might know more. Not sure how much they can do

Typically you have to be a crazy genius to get in without a bachelor's degree. Anyways, what's the rush? I believe that dentistry is one of the best fields to get into right now. When I decided that was what I wanted to do I transferred to a 4-year college and made sure I got an A in every class that I could and studied hard for the DAT. Also, the admissions committees like people who shadow general dentists as well. Just remember to pace yourself, have confidence and consider yourself a professional student from now on.

My mind is still running like crazy trying to decide on what I want to do!

It's a pretty long commitment to just jump into without shadowing a general dentist and seeing whether you really like the profession and if its for you. That's something we cant tell you, but if it is for you, I'm sure i speak for most of us when we say that we're more than happy to help you out with what to do and how to get where you want to be :) but do some shadowing.. maybe a pre-dental course, and see whats up

I'm sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but... if you are interested into cars... Mechanical engineers make a pretty darn good living. They build cars all day. Or, if you are more into the design of the car, there is automotive/transportation design, I know a few schools have that, an example is Creative Studies in Detroit. If you just like learning about cars, you can be a salesman and if you are dedicated to your job, you can make 6 figures. Granted, with a lot of hard work and hours.

With that said, I know this is a PreDental forum, but it seems like you may be going into the practice of dentistry for all the wrong reason. You don't want to regret it 10 years later and switch directions again. Think about if you really want to be a dentist first, then pursue it. If you love cars, go for it. There are MANY lucrative and stable jobs dealing with cars.

I'm sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but... if you are interested into cars... Mechanical engineers make a pretty darn good living. They build cars all day. Or, if you are more into the design of the car, there is automotive/transportation design, I know a few schools have that, an example is Creative Studies in Detroit. If you just like learning about cars, you can be a salesman and if you are dedicated to your job, you can make 6 figures. Granted, with a lot of hard work and hours.

With that said, I know this is a PreDental forum, but it seems like you may be going into the practice of dentistry for all the wrong reason. You don't want to regret it 10 years later and switch directions again. Think about if you really want to be a dentist first, then pursue it. If you love cars, go for it. There are MANY lucrative and stable jobs dealing with cars.

I've really considered mechanical engineering as well, so I can work with cars.

I guess I'm looking into orthodontics more for the money. I can see myself enjoying it, I don't about having a love for it though.

I guess I'm looking into orthodontics more for the money. I can see myself enjoying it, I don't about having a love for it though.

Well thing about orthodontics is that you have to be pretty much top of your dental school class (easier said than done). Even graduating at the top doesn't guarantee admissions as they would like to see well-rounded applicants too.

If you go into dentistry, make sure you're okay with doing general dentistry, because that's what most of the dental school graduates end up becoming.

A prof once told me "Love what you do, because if you love what you do, you'll never feel like it's a day of work in your life".

I'm not going to beat around the bush here.... if you cannot see yourself being a general dentist, don't go to dental school. Ortho is one of the most competitive specialties to get into. You usually need to be in the top 10% in your class in dental school to get in to Ortho.

Now if you say you are an average student, you will need to work on your study skills to become a good student to get into dental school. Because in dental school you will be surrounded with not only good students, but great ones, and even some of the best. People with 3.9s and 4.0s, and people who obtain 95 percentile on the DAT.

Once in dental school, the classes and work load only get more difficult. I am not saying all of this to discourage you, but the road you are thinking of is full of hard work and dedication. If you are only half committed during any of the stages that were mentioned earlier, you will not make it. I just want to make sure you are fully aware of what you are getting yourself into.

And yes you pretty much need a BA/BS to get into to dental school. Only like 5% of all martriculants don't have a bachelors. Also many ortho residencies and other residencies are Masters programs. And you need a bachelors degree to apply for some of these programs.

Start out by taking general chemistry and general biology at the same time. See how you feel... the sciences are difficult and while in undergrad you will be doing at least 2-4 sciences every semester. Then in dental school you are looking at more like 6.

Don't be scared, just man up and rise to the challenge! Good luck!!

Well my boss (who is an orthodontist) teaches at UCSF (who has a orthodontics program) and he can probably write me a good letter of recommendation. Yes that won't get me in alone, but it sure will help.

I'm aware that getting into orthodontics means you have to be the top of your dental school class...which begs the quesiton, if I get into a less competitive ds (lower average GPA/DAT acceptance) where I might have a easier time being the top of that class, would this be beneficial in pursuing dentistry?
For example, say if someone got into Harvard, then it's not unreasonable to assume it's much harder to be the top of the class and make it to orthodontics at that school, right?

I'm not going to beat around the bush here.... if you cannot see yourself being a general dentist, don't go to dental school. Ortho is one of the most competitive specialties to get into. You usually need to be in the top 10% in your class in dental school to get in to Ortho.

Now if you say you are an average student, you will need to work on your study skills to become a good student to get into dental school. Because in dental school you will be surrounded with not only good students, but great ones, and even some of the best. People with 3.9s and 4.0s, and people who obtain 95 percentile on the DAT.

Once in dental school, the classes and work load only get more difficult. I am not saying all of this to discourage you, but the road you are thinking of is full of hard work and dedication. If you are only half committed during any of the stages that were mentioned earlier, you will not make it. I just want to make sure you are fully aware of what you are getting yourself into.

And yes you pretty much need a BA/BS to get into to dental school. Only like 5% of all martriculants don't have a bachelors. Also many ortho residencies and other residencies are Masters programs. And you need a bachelors degree to apply for some of these programs.

Start out by taking general chemistry and general biology at the same time. See how you feel... the sciences are difficult and while in undergrad you will be doing at least 2-4 sciences every semester. Then in dental school you are looking at more like 6.

Don't be scared, just man up and rise to the challenge! Good luck!!

seriously read those threads above before making any serious decisions.

Hey guys and gals!

So here I am applying to San Jose State University. No Idea what to put as my major.

I was really considering doing business and doing the pre-reqs for dental school.

I want something to fall back on if I dental doesnt work out.

Is this a good idea?!