1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Tough pH question. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Lazerous, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Lazerous

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Q: A sample of L-valine hydrochloride (i.e. the totally protonated form of L-Valine) is dissolved into water (250 mL of 0.1M). To this solution is added 40 mL of 0.5 M NaOH. What is the final pH of the solution? (Assume L-valine has the following pKa values: 2.29 and 9.74)

OK, so I know I have to use the hendersen hasselboch equation (pH=pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]) but I don't know how to to get either [A-] or [HA]. PLease help me on this one.

The ANSWER is: 2.89

2. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I havent looked over my Acid base stuff in a while. But this is how i would approach this. First, i wont use that equation, because you introduce a base to neutralize. Now since the acid does not dissociate 100% the fact that they give u the pka you can determine the concentration of H then determine the moles of H by multiplying by the volume. then get the moles of OH and watever is left after neutralizing will determine your pH. remember that Ka=[A-][H+]/[HA] use the information given to determine the [H]. remember that you can use Ka= [H+]^2 / [HA]o - [H+] . Use this to solve i guess. i would do it now but i got a debate to prepare. pm me and ill show u the calculations. From the way im doin it, if you dont have a calc. it will take u forever lol.where did u get the question from.