Tough pH question. PLEASE HELP!

Lazerous

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
Q: A sample of L-valine hydrochloride (i.e. the totally protonated form of L-Valine) is dissolved into water (250 mL of 0.1M). To this solution is added 40 mL of 0.5 M NaOH. What is the final pH of the solution? (Assume L-valine has the following pKa values: 2.29 and 9.74)

OK, so I know I have to use the hendersen hasselboch equation (pH=pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]) but I don't know how to to get either [A-] or [HA]. PLease help me on this one.

The ANSWER is: 2.89

Sublimation

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
Q: A sample of L-valine hydrochloride (i.e. the totally protonated form of L-Valine) is dissolved into water (250 mL of 0.1M). To this solution is added 40 mL of 0.5 M NaOH. What is the final pH of the solution? (Assume L-valine has the following pKa values: 2.29 and 9.74)

OK, so I know I have to use the hendersen hasselboch equation (pH=pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]) but I don't know how to to get either [A-] or [HA]. PLease help me on this one.

The ANSWER is: 2.89

I havent looked over my Acid base stuff in a while. But this is how i would approach this. First, i wont use that equation, because you introduce a base to neutralize. Now since the acid does not dissociate 100% the fact that they give u the pka you can determine the concentration of H then determine the moles of H by multiplying by the volume. then get the moles of OH and watever is left after neutralizing will determine your pH. remember that Ka=[A-][H+]/[HA] use the information given to determine the [H]. remember that you can use Ka= [H+]^2 / [HA]o - [H+] . Use this to solve i guess. i would do it now but i got a debate to prepare. pm me and ill show u the calculations. From the way im doin it, if you dont have a calc. it will take u forever lol.where did u get the question from.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.