Toughest Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whodamonkeyman?

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the same basic information is taught in all medical schools. But which school has the the toughest courses and which medical school's curric. do you feel is most challenging?

Members don't see this ad.

"which school's curriculum is most challenging?"

Yours is a highly subjective question. Some people thrive in a traditional curriculum and dislike problem based learning. Other people prefer problem based and dislike rote memorization. Some schools that adopted problem based learning are reverting due to students' performance on the USMLE.

My school tends toward a very traditional curriculum with some clinical introduction now provided during the first two years.

Some schools now offer systems based in which the biochemistry, anatomy, physiology and pathology of an organ system are presented together. If all other things were equal, I might choose the later system.

Regardless of the presentation, you are going to cover the basic and clinical science material in the frst two years sufficient to prepare for the USMLE.

Find a system that fits your learning preference but this should not be the primary reason for choosing a school. So many other factors are important. Proximity to family and friends, association (and proximity) with a quality hospital system and the focus of the institution are all very important.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ATLien:
•Johns Hopkins :D •••

And you say that based on what?

... sorry about the previous message, I twitched, and it was sent too early.

Originally posted by ATLien:
•Johns Hopkins :D •••

Seriously - you say that based on what? Ask any student actually attending Hopkins, and they'll tell you how much stress (or lack thereof) they are subjected to.

Maybe it's because everyone at Hopkins is a supergenious to begin with? :D

Getting into Hopkins or any medical school has more to do with politics than being super intelligent. Trust me, there are just as many geniuses at podunk medical school than at Hopkins. It's called playing the game and making the contacts. Despite what many will say, getting into medical school is not about gpas, volunteering, or mcat scores etc..it's about ass kissing and fulfilling the underrepresented minorities quota.

Snowballz, are you prepared to back up that statement, or are you just going to let it stand as a sweeping generalization?

What's particularly odious about your attitude is that you completely deny the accomplishment of people who have gotten into medical school by virtue of hard work. To argue that we got here simply by ass-kissing, fulfilling a quota, or using our contacts is both ignorant and insulting.

:mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

Omores, of course the large majority of med students got into school based on their abilities. But to say that politics and money, along with many other factors, are not even considered by these schools in their admissions policy, is totally naive.

So what, if you are an under-represented minority, you only get into medical school because you fulfill a quota? No, I guess it can not be about hard work. I really disagree with that train of thought.

I bet some of those osteopathic programs and Caribbean schools have some of the toughest curriculums in order to both prove a point and weed out the weaklings.

Hey John:

You'll never hear me arguing that politics and money are completely absent from medical school admissions, so kindly don't call me naive. My post was in response to Ms. Snowballz' assertion that:

•getting into medical school is not about gpas, volunteering, or mcat scores etc..it's about ass kissing and fulfilling the underrepresented minorities quota.•••

This contention is simplistic and offensive.

Omores, upon re-reading the posts, i will contend that i shouldnt have commented the way i did. And yes, i agree with you that what snowballz said in essance was offensive. I apologize for my negative response. No hard feelings, John.

John:

Nope, no hard feelings. Really appreciated your gracious response.

:) :cool: :cool: :)