Toughest Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RackingHorse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are in vet school, what year of vet school do u find or did u find to be most challenging?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that I'm only a second year. First year was by far harder at this point last year than this year. I feel like there is more info this year but I either have a better handle on things or things are just more interesting (and therefore better) than last year.

As a first year, this year is definitely the hardest.

But you know, I might be biased, since I haven't done any other years. Or semesters. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that I'm only a second year. First year was by far harder at this point last year than this year. I feel like there is more info this year but I either have a better handle on things or things are just more interesting (and therefore better) than last year.

Same here dude (I am a 2nd year as well).

It's all stressful but I know what to expect now, so I'm batting at least 50% of the curveballs being thrown at me rather than missing them all like I did last year.

For me, first year and second year(so far) have both been hardest in different ways.

I feel like first year was harder than this year just as far as the shear amount of material they threw at us, the difficulty of some of the concepts, and the amount of memorization that went on (not my strong suit).

This year, they are throwing the same amount as us, and it's not quite as hard, but we have more labs, more out of class assignments, and a larger number of exams. All of it adds up to infinitely more time spent outside the classroom working on school than I did last year, even though the material itself isn't as challenging (and frankly is infinitely more interesting :p).

I'm only in 1st year but supposedly 2nd year is the hardest at OVC.

supposedly 1st year, particularly 2nd semester is hardest at TAMU. but since I'm a first year, I couldn't really tell you from experience.

I'm only a second year, but at KSU I've repeatedly heard second year - and that is backed up by the fact that we only lost 5 (and only one due to grades) 1st year, but we've gained 11 + a transfer into this year's class.

For me, first year and second year(so far) have both been hardest in different ways.

I feel like first year was harder than this year just as far as the shear amount of material they threw at us, the difficulty of some of the concepts, and the amount of memorization that went on (not my strong suit).

:thumbup:
I agree. I thought that first semester of first year was tough because there was so much information to try to learn. That, and I had a lot of personal issues going on that semester.
Second semester of first year got better, because I think I finally started to adapt to the whole vet school thing. So far, second year is tough, but I feel like I've got a pretty good grip on things. It's a lot more interesting than first year, and it seems a lot more applicable, which helps me learn.

First semester first year - horrible.
Second semester first year - mediocre.
First semester second year - ok.

I can only hope it continues as an upward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd year feels harder to me. I enjoy the material more, which makes it more bearable, but dealing with Bact, Path2, and Pharm all at once with exams shortly after one another way is turning out to be more daunting than worrying about a little Biochem or Anatomy.

Here at Davis it's my opinion that second year was a complete nightmare and way worse than first year, overall. Although Winter quarter first year was harder than Fall quarter second year, Winter and Spring of second year had me wanting to kill myself.

I just started third year. I've heard it's a lot better than second year, and I'm enjoying it a lot more so far.

Edited to add: Of course, I'm still on the old curriculum, and the 2015'ers who are the first class on the new curriculum will likely have a different opinion.

I'm only in 1st year but supposedly 2nd year is the hardest at OVC.

because of POD. ;)

Vet I worked with was *STILL* crying about it, and she was like 38.

eta. had graduated as a trad. student... :/

because of POD. ;)

Vet I worked with was *STILL* crying about it, and she was like 38.

eta. had graduated as a trad. student... :/

Yep haha, they had a POD quiz on the 2nd day back to school :|. Really looking forward to that..

Here at Davis it's my opinion that second year was a complete nightmare and way worse than first year, overall. Although Winter quarter first year was harder than Fall quarter second year, Winter and Spring of second year had me wanting to kill myself.

I just started third year. I've heard it's a lot better than second year, and I'm enjoying it a lot more so far.

Edited to add: Of course, I'm still on the old curriculum, and the 2015'ers who are the first class on the new curriculum will likely have a different opinion.

+1

Second year was utterly miserable. Hopefully it isn't the same in the new curriculum.

I hope I don't ever reach the point I was first year first semester lol I don't think I can survive that again.

This year I am on top of my classes. I know that getting anything more than 1 day behind is asking to kill myself. So far, it has been good. Just had my first exam of the semester--Path! And it wasn't that bad :)

I am dreading the Parasite practical though...

Second year, as summarized by emoticons:
:confused: :uhno: :shrug: :smack: :scared: :help: :cry: :ninja: :bang: :barf:

Third year is 9001x better so far!

I'll cast a vote for second year being worse than first year. The stuff you learn is sooooo much more interesting overall, but I am so much more exhausted and strapped for time than I was last year. Way more to learn, way more exams, way more stress.

First year, second semester. My resting heart rate was constantly above 100.

Welllll....our third year equals your second, so my vote goes for second year I suppose. Week one and my head is already spinning.

granted i am only part way through block 1 in first semester of 1st ear, but from what i can tell so far and from talking to students and faculty, block 1 is the most demanding of the students, not only because of the shear volume of information that we are responsible for taking in retaining then regurgitating come test time, but also the fact that most students come from a traditional lecture based undergrad so the case based learning and less direction is a new challenge to get used to. while i absolutely love the case based learning i also kinda miss some of the structure i had in my undergrad curriculum. While the material doesnt get easier in subsequent blocks, the students are more accustomed to that learning style so it is a little easier to guide your studying from lectures and labs. we will see if my opinion changes when block 2 starts in a few weeks though

Another vote for first year, second semester.

Pretty sure I sobbed daily for the last 2 months of school. My mom was so worried about me that she flew up here two weekends in a row. (Love her).

I think second semester is generally harder for me since I'm pretty burned out at that point, and it is 5 months long (1st semester is only ~3). Those extra two months seem to make a big difference in my burn-outedness.

I've found especially this fall that my memory is so much better when I don't have that level of stress... Also helps that what we're learning is much more clinical and I can often reason my way to the correct multiple choice answer.

Although I have no experience to judge for myself...I have asked a lot of Penn 4th years this same question and everyone seems to have a different answer. There is really no consensus. It just depends on your strengths and weaknesses, what is going on in your life, your experiences and prep before school etc.

So, take all these comments with a grain of salt.

For example, I would have said 1st yr 1st semester was a million times harder than 2nd semester, but you see just above me Ben and Me had the opposite experience. Who is right? Both of us. Because that is how it played out for us.

My best answer... .THE HARDEST YR in school is whatever YR YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN!!!!!!

For example, I would have said 1st yr 1st semester was a million times harder than 2nd semester, but you see just above me Ben and Me had the opposite experience. Who is right? Both of us. Because that is how it played out for us.

Word. And I know plenty of kids who thought second year was much worse than first year....and plenty more who aren't too fond of 3rd year. I think that the best part about 3rd year is knowing that we're just a couple of months from clinics/blocks. The end is near!

And as for 1st vs. 2nd semester of 1st year: I will say that seeing that curve for the first anatomy practical was one of the low points of my entire life.... :laugh:

I may have to amend my previous post since talking to some more second and third years.

First year - Ridiculous and the subjects are somewhat tedious.

Second year - Tedious, but they seem to have an easier time of it then we do. I was talking to one a few days ago about midterms and she said, "Yeah, I feel really bad for you guys. The first year schedule is so much worse than the second year. I have so much more free time this year."

Third year - Ridiculous, but they seem to really enjoy it. Medicine and surgery, plus you can start cutting out stuff you really have no interest in and focus more on the stuff you like (to a point).

Fourth year - Rotations. Enough said.

Great. I thought you guys were all hanging out in the commons because you had nothing to do. :)

I'll cast a vote for second year being worse than first year. The stuff you learn is sooooo much more interesting overall, but I am so much more exhausted and strapped for time than I was last year. Way more to learn, way more exams, way more stress.

Great. I thought you guys were all hanging out in the commons because you had nothing to do. :)

Haha! Usually when we're in the commons it's because we're either waiting around for a lunch meeting to start or we're commiserating after one of the two or three exams from the week. :rolleyes: Oy.

This thread makes me rather sad. Just because I'm half way through my first semester. My grades are good enough, and I'm not in danger of failing, but I'm really wondering how I'm going to make it through 4 years of this. I've heard at Texas A&M 2nd semester of the first year is the worst, but if they're all bad... ugh... I'm already struggling emotionally/physically as it is...

Word. And I know plenty of kids who thought second year was much worse than first year....and plenty more who aren't too fond of 3rd year.

I think there's a bit of an element involved called 'background'. For pretty much every class we have I've heard at least one person talk about how it's ridiculously easy - because they were exposed to it at some point. One guy told me he doesn't take notes or study for biochem. One girl told me that anatomy is review and doesn't require much time.

So for me first year might be the hardest because I'm learning how to manage a life of full-time vet student with family. For them first year might be the easiest because it might not be until next year they actually have to study for every class. Etc.

This thread makes me rather sad. Just because I'm half way through my first semester. My grades are good enough, and I'm not in danger of failing, but I'm really wondering how I'm going to make it through 4 years of this. I've heard at Texas A&M 2nd semester of the first year is the worst, but if they're all bad... ugh... I'm already struggling emotionally/physically as it is...

I thought this same thing. And my grades weren't even good. I struggled to pass. To say that the first month of vet school crawled by would be an understatement.. I was seriously concerned about how I would make it through at least 2 and a half years of feeling like I did, just angry and upset all the time. But then second semester came and things felt a little easier. I made better grades, did not fret over things as much, but I was uncomfortable with life still and that still troubled me thinking that this must be it... Doomed to a life of negativity and worry until I graduate.

And then I finished first year. Granted, over the summer I took care of myself and got rid of a very good portion of what was contributing to my unhappiness but I also made a pact with myself this past summer to not get to that place again. No matter what's going on, I'm not going to rile myself up and spend my days worrying over things I only have so much control over. And when they're one, they're done. I've also noticed that most of my class is behaving this way as well.

In short, it's become quite clear and simple. When you embark on something as important and unfamiliar and new as vet school, it's going to throw curve balls and make you wonder why you ever wanted in. But then you adapt to the situation, and the next time around you're not so surprised when it throws something similar at you. Eventually you learn the game, you learn what you have to do and what you can give yourself a break on (read: slack off on). Things fall into place. And if God forbid they didn't and you had to repeat, it's gonna be okay because at the end of the day: you're still in vet school.

In short, it's become quite clear and simple. When you embark on something as important and unfamiliar and new as vet school, it's going to throw curve balls and make you wonder why you ever wanted in. But then you adapt to the situation, and the next time around you're not so surprised when it throws something similar at you. Eventually you learn the game, you learn what you have to do and what you can give yourself a break on (read: slack off on). Things fall into place. And if God forbid they didn't and you had to repeat, it's gonna be okay because at the end of the day: you're still in vet school.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I think there's a bit of an element involved called 'background'. For pretty much every class we have I've heard at least one person talk about how it's ridiculously easy - because they were exposed to it at some point. One guy told me he doesn't take notes or study for biochem. One girl told me that anatomy is review and doesn't require much time.

So for me first year might be the hardest because I'm learning how to manage a life of full-time vet student with family. For them first year might be the easiest because it might not be until next year they actually have to study for every class. Etc.
So true.

Those who know me personally have heard me b*tch so many times how I can't stand hearing other students say.. ."Oh, I have to really study hard for THIS class because I haven't had this material before."

I have to study for EVERY class because I haven't had any of it before. Thanks for rubbing it in.

So true.

Those who know me personally have heard me b*tch so many times how I can't stand hearing other students say.. ."Oh, I have to really study hard for THIS class because I haven't had this material before."

I have to study for EVERY class because I haven't had any of it before. Thanks for rubbing it in.

I definitely do this so sorry to anyone in my class that wants to beat me for it. :(

If it's any consolation I have a ton of respect for those of you without the kind of science background that I've had who are able to learn all of this stuff for the first time in this environment. I'm...not sure I'd be able to do it, honestly.

So true.

*pats*

SOV, I've had the majority of our first year material before (excluding anatomy), and I still have to study. :)

Also, what people say, and what is actually true.... I think there isn't a strong correlation when it comes to vet school grades/material/etc.

*pats*

SOV, I've had the majority of our first year material before (excluding anatomy), and I still have to study. :)

Not saying I didn't have to study at all, by the way, for most classes - but I do feel that some real bad study habits of mine were reinforced in courses where I was pretty familiar with the material already and put little effort in but did well. IMO it's much easier to pull something back up from memory rather than having to learn it for the first time. I can definitely feel a difference in courses like Pharm and Path where I haven't really had the core material at all before and I have to go through the step of first actually LEARNING how to learn it before I can reinforce it.

With things like biochem and cell bio it was just organizing "okay, these are the things that I've learned really well before that I need to pull back up."

At LSU there is a huge consensus and I agree that Fall semester of 2nd year is the worst! Combining pathology, pharmacology, clinical pathology, parasitology, blah blah -ologies, omg it was hell getting through it. But I survived and am currently LOVING 3rd year! We have so many labs this year, and are actually learning about medicine and surgery and not just about biology.

4 months until I'm done with classes, have my white coat and be in the clinics!!! So excited! Hang in there everyone, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I promise you it's not a train!

Definitely. I was a biochem major with a minor in chem, and I had NEVER had anatomy, physiology, animal science, any of that stuff, ever. Sure, the biochem helped with one class, but it drove me nuts to talk about how some people considered anatomy, physio, etc easy. One girl even said at a curriculum review that she thought anatomy should be harder. Well, missy, not all of us were pre-vet majors who took all this s** before, to STFU and GTFO, thank you.

I'll be nice to you in 2nd year path lab ;) TAMU has a tough curriculum, to be sure. But it's worth it. The fourth years that I teach in general seem to be a very well-educated lot - you can do it. Just think of everything that you'll know eventually. I struggled a lot in vet school as well, to the point that I became so emotionally overwhelmed that I almost called it quits. But I kept going, and have found a niche that I absolutely love.

I'll be nice to you in 2nd year path lab ;) TAMU has a tough curriculum, to be sure. But it's worth it. The fourth years that I teach in general seem to be a very well-educated lot - you can do it. Just think of everything that you'll know eventually. I struggled a lot in vet school as well, to the point that I became so emotionally overwhelmed that I almost called it quits. But I kept going, and have found a niche that I absolutely love.

Thanks that makes me feel better :) I worry a lot because I would like to do an internship and residency. But at this point I'm struggling so much that I really just need to focus on passing and trust that the rest will work itself out for the best. I'm glad you are loving what you are doing and it's good to know that the hard work will pay off with me being better prepared when I finally get to 4th year.

1st year - easy

2nd year - first semester was tough. second semester was less annoying and more interesting.

3rd year - first semester made me want to die. second semester was nice.

4th year - (full year) Right now I'm halfway through and I'm working on my core SA reqs. I'm in the hospital 80+ hours a week and I hate it. I never have time to do basic home functions (cook food, go to post office, take the car to the shop, use the bank). You never get out at a reasonable hour and you're always in before 7am. School owns your ass. You don't even get weekends off with ER shifts and patient care. Worst year yet. Yes, the hands on experience is nice but your regular life gets completely, utterly screwed over to the max. Some rotations make me truly regret wanting to be a vet.

1st year - easy

2nd year - first semester was tough. second semester was less annoying and more interesting.

4th year - (full year) Right now I'm halfway through and I'm working on my core SA reqs. I'm in the hospital 80+ hours a week and I hate it. I never have time to do basic home functions (cook food, go to post office, take the car to the shop, use the bank). You never get out at a reasonable hour and you're always in before 7am. School owns your ass. You don't even get weekends off with ER shifts and patient care. Worst year yet. Yes, the hands on experience is nice but your regular life gets completely, utterly screwed over to the max. Some rotations make me truly regret wanting to be a vet.

This is disheartening. :(

1st year - easy

Which school are you at?