Touro College of Pharmacy NY - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is not definite as we're currently trying to gather interest in the class and see if people would sign up for it, but there is a good chance that Touro is going to offer a dual degree Pharm D/MPH (Master of Public Health).

What exactly does the Master of Public Health (MPH) do to a Pharm D licesned Pharmacist?

Can he/she do anything else besides adminster pharmacitucals?

What exactly does the Master of Public Health (MPH) do to a Pharm D licesned Pharmacist?

Can he/she do anything else besides adminster pharmacitucals?

In a short answer, YES. For a more detailed answer, check out these links. Hopefully this helps answer your questions. For example, some of the classes I'm taking this upcoming semester related to the MPH degree are Global Health and Bioterrorism.

http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=662006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_degrees_of_public_health

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

just wondering if anyone knew if touro, ny, admits on a rolling basis?

Thanks

i had the same question.. i believe it's rolling admissions though.

Last year, for the class of 2013, it was not rolling admissions. Interview invites were all sent out after the deadlines.

This year, the plan was not to do rolling admissions neither. But since the application deadlines were pushed back from Jan. to Feb, and the very first interviews are on Feb. 1st or 2nd, that's why it looks like rolling admissions.

Traditionally, Touro NY does not do rolling admissions but an exception was made this year due to deadline changes.

Both pharmCAS and supplemental applications are due on Feb. 1st, 2010

do you know how many interviews were given to this first batch?

or how many supplementals came in all together?

Hey!
Does anyone know when do the interviews end?
and when will they be sending acceptance letters to those who got in?

Hey!
Does anyone know when do the interviews end?
and when will they be sending acceptance letters to those who got in?

Last year, there were 3 weeks of interviews starting from March 2nd or something. It probably will be something similar maybe a little longer since there are more spots available this year.

Check out last year's thread for more information.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=601917&highlight=touro+pharmacy+2013

LOL, according to this thing I found on the internet, St. John's considers us to be a "threat".

THREATS
1.Continued compliance with ACPE, ARC-PA, NAACLS, JRCERT, CAAHEP and Department of Health accreditation standards as well as required licenses. Maintain State Education Department approval of Ph.D. and M.S. programs.
2.Availability, management and cost of experiential education.
3.Attrition of faculty due to other opportunities, i.e., industry, government agencies, other Universities, practice positions.
4.Competition rather than planned collaboration, i.e., interest of other Colleges within the University, to establish programs that can be most effectively and efficiently offered by the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions or in collaboration with this College.
5.Schools in the region that offer competing majors; the establishment of the Touro College of Pharmacy; CUNY’s search for a Dean for a new Pharmacy College in New York City.
6.Impact of global financial crisis on the College.
7.Replacing basic science faculty who retire and do not have labs with new faculty who will require research laboratories.
8.Reorganization of healthcare (mergers of hospitals, reorganization of healthcare delivery systems) which impact the College’s position within these healthcare settings.

http://www.stjohns.edu/download.axd/5b7638a054c444e282d9a0068aedccd6.pdf?d=PHARM%20Strategic%20Plan%202008-2013

Hey guys; some of these questions are better handled via email direct to the school representative who actually handles admissions. Just be advised that most of the time they don't pick up so leave a message and email.

Here is the contact info:

212/851-1192, ext 2532

[email protected]

Last year they did non-rolling admissions which means best 80 students out of whatever amount of applicants that apply have the choice of admission to the school. Rolling is first come first serve basis, I doubt they changed to rolling but only admissions can answer that.

There is also a alternate list if you don't get in at first, so don't fret if you are on this list, there is a good chance you will get in. But then again, I'm not complete positive they will do alternate this year.

If you have questions, bring them with you to the interview. Dr GP will be happy to answer them.

I got an interview today for thursday feb. 4th, at 1:00, yay me!!!!

GOT AN INTERVIEW TODAY!!!! Soo excited, as this is my top choice school out of the 17 that I'm applying to.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions regarding travel plans (i.e hotels, which airport to fly into?, etc...). I am coming from Los Angeles and have never been to New York.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
GOT AN INTERVIEW TODAY!!!! Soo excited, as this is my top choice school out of the 17 that I'm applying to.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions regarding travel plans (i.e hotels, which airport to fly into?, etc...). I am coming from Los Angeles and have never been to New York.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else!

What time is your interview? Your best option is to fly into LaGuardia Airport, get a hotel near the airport. And just have a taxi take you to Touro.

What time is your interview? Your best option is to fly into LaGuardia Airport, get a hotel near the airport. And just have a taxi take you to Touro.

It's on Feb 9th, a Tuesday, at 1:00PM. How far/how much would a cab be from the airport to Touro? Also, do you get a confirmation after you e-mail a reply accepting the interview offer? The invite letter states that a reply must be sent within 2 days.

It's on Feb 9th, a Tuesday, at 1:00PM. How far/how much would a cab be from the airport to Touro? Also, do you get a confirmation after you e-mail a reply accepting the interview offer? The invite letter states that a reply must be sent within 2 days.

Not sure, just make sure you follow those instructions and send it within 2 days. I'm not familiar with cab costs, but I'd estimate around $30 for the yellow cabs, $50 for the Lincoln Towncar cabs.

Does anyone know the interview format and if its closed file? What kind of questions are asked?

Does anyone know the interview format and if its closed file? What kind of questions are asked?

Two interviews. When you arrive, you are in a room with the other applicants (it's been 8 applicants per group in the past). You talk with the student ambassadors for like 5-10 minutes before the Assistant Dean arrives. (Student ambassadors are grading you based on appearance, attitude.)

If we ask what are your hobbies, for the love of God, do not say studying, research etc, I will give you an instant zero for that ****. I wanna hear about the fun side of you, not the boring school side.

After that, the group is divided in half. Half of you go to the closed file, blind 2 vs 1 interviews with the faculty. (We just randomly pick rooms for you to go into.) That interview has a 30 minute cap. The type of questions you should expect to answer are your interest in pharmacy, why Touro, knowledge about health disparities (KNOW WHAT A HEALTH DISPARITY IS). I STRONGLY suggest reading up about the mission of the school, and ways that pharmacists can help deal with health disparities (PUBLIC HEALTH! Remember, Touro NY is a pharmacy school with a focus on PUBLIC HEALTH).

In the meantime, the other group is doing a group interview based on your teamwork skills. Your group is given an assignment that needs to be figured out within the 30 minutes. For example, for my interview back in 2008, we were given a scenario where we were stranded on an island and we had to come up with a list of 12 supplies in order to survive, list order of importance of those supplies, and write down how we came to that conclusion.

Then you guys switch, once the last group is done interviewing, you all meet up again, talk for a little bit, ask questions, eat cookies and orange juice (not guaranteeing this part :O), and off you go.

May The Force Be With You

Two interviews. When you arrive, you are in a room with the other applicants (it's been 8 applicants per group in the past). You talk with the student ambassadors for like 5-10 minutes before the Assistant Dean arrives. (Student ambassadors are grading you based on appearance, attitude.)

If we ask what are your hobbies, for the love of God, do not say studying, research etc, I will give you an instant zero for that ****. I wanna hear about the fun side of you, not the boring school side.

After that, the group is divided in half. Half of you go to the closed file, blind 2 vs 1 interviews with the faculty. (We just randomly pick rooms for you to go into.) That interview has a 30 minute cap. The type of questions you should expect to answer are your interest in pharmacy, why Touro, knowledge about health disparities (KNOW WHAT A HEALTH DISPARITY IS). I STRONGLY suggest reading up about the mission of the school, and ways that pharmacists can help deal with health disparities (PUBLIC HEALTH! Remember, Touro NY is a pharmacy school with a focus on PUBLIC HEALTH).

In the meantime, the other group is doing a group interview based on your teamwork skills. Your group is given an assignment that needs to be figured out within the 30 minutes. For example, for my interview back in 2008, we were given a scenario where we were stranded on an island and we had to come up with a list of 12 supplies in order to survive, list order of importance of those supplies, and write down how we came to that conclusion.

Then you guys switch, once the last group is done interviewing, you all meet up again, talk for a little bit, ask questions, eat cookies and orange juice (not guaranteeing this part :O), and off you go.

thanks for the help Sparda... Quick question if last year they interviewed 120 students and accepted 80. This year they have 100 seats so they will be interviewing about 140-150 or about a 66% chance of getting in?

For those of you that have interviews and are looking for an affordable hotel in manhattan, check out "the pod hotel". I believe it's around $89/night for a single with a shared bathroom. Even though the bathroom is shared, there isn't a problem getting to use it and the rooms have lights that tell you if the bathroom is occupied. It's in midtown manhattan on 51st st, so it's a nice area. You can take the AirTrain from JFK to "jamaica station" then get on the subway (E train) and take that to Lexington Ave/53rd st. Then you can either walk from there or take a cab a few blocks. The airtain + subway is $7.25 as opposed to taking a cab from JFK which will cost you about $60. If you are on a tight budget use the Trip planner provided by MTA http://tripplanner.mta.info/_start.aspx and enter in your starting an ending address. You can take the subway to your interview as opposed to taking a cab.
There is also a city bus that goes right from LaGuardia airport directly to and from where Touro is.
I'm trying to give you guys more affordable options because I know how expensive it can be. When I came to my interview I didn't ride in a cab once and managed to figure out the subway and bus system regardless of it being my first time using it.

For those of you that have interviews and are looking for an affordable hotel in manhattan, check out "the pod hotel". I believe it's around $89/night for a single with a shared bathroom. Even though the bathroom is shared, there isn't a problem getting to use it and the rooms have lights that tell you if the bathroom is occupied. It's in midtown manhattan on 51st st, so it's a nice area. You can take the AirTrain from JFK to "jamaica station" then get on the subway (E train) and take that to Lexington Ave/53rd st. Then you can either walk from there or take a cab a few blocks. The airtain + subway is $7.25 as opposed to taking a cab from JFK which will cost you about $60. If you are on a tight budget use the Trip planner provided by MTA http://tripplanner.mta.info/_start.aspx and enter in your starting an ending address. You can take the subway to your interview as opposed to taking a cab.
There is also a city bus that goes right from LaGuardia airport directly to and from where Touro is.
I'm trying to give you guys more affordable options because I know how expensive it can be. When I came to my interview I didn't ride in a cab once and managed to figure out the subway and bus system regardless of it being my first time using it.

Oh yeah, I forgot another option, which is actually quite cheap as well. If you don't plan on staying at a hotel and just plan on flying in and out of NYC, this is what you can do. Fly into LaGuardia Airport, and get on the M60 bus. Just stay on this bus and get off on 125th Street and Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd (7th Avenue), I believe it stops in front of a Starbucks. You should be able to see the Touro College sign from here.

Thanks Sparda for answering my question.
I have another question-
When do you think they will be sending acceptance letters or will they email it to us?
Will they tell us right away how we did on our interview?
Is there anyone we can talk to after our interviews to see how we did

since it your first time in an new york ghetto, especially Harlem, you better come strapped and dont make eye contact with people on the street and if you get lost, dont say exuse to me some one on the street, just ask the street vendors which direction is so and so.

dont be suprised if u smell weed in the hood.

since it your first time in an new york ghetto, especially Harlem, you better come strapped and dont make eye contact with people on the street and if you get lost, dont say exuse to me some one on the street, just ask the street vendors which direction is so and so.

Okay, don't scare the people, it's a lot better than it was 10 years ago. There are worse places in NYC than Harlem, for example the Bronx and Brooklyn. The police presence in Harlem is very high. I was given a ticket for a U-turn by some cops who were just walking around.

Weed? Yeah, I've witnessed a couple of drug deals happen in the White Castle near Touro. LMAO!

Okay, don't scare the people, it's a lot better than it was 10 years ago. There are worse places in NYC than Harlem, for example the Bronx and Brooklyn. The police presence in Harlem is very high. I was given a ticket for a U-turn by some cops who were just walking around.

Weed? Yeah, I've witnessed a couple of drug deals happen in the White Castle near Touro. LMAO!

Sparda that was probably one of my street pharmacist acquaintances, Tempting Tyrone.

Hey everyone. I'm so excited and scared about this interview. I've heard many things about the Touro interview and I wanted to get things straightened out.

1. What would the group interview consist of?

2. How long is the whole interview usually?

3. Is there a writing session like writing an essay at the interview site?

Info about the interviews that have been already answered which I qouted below..Any more info I will have to hold your hand and do the interview for you..There is no writing portion but there will be writing involved during the group interview..

The area around the school is safe. When in doubt, there is a police PCT 1 block away from the school. The streets of Harlem is not Park Avenue either, so use some common sense when navigating the street, as you would in any other city. Most whom live in Harlem have low income so its not exactly an extravagant or luxurious neighborhood. Some of the surrounding houses are a bit runned down. IMO, this is the best setting to learn how to interact with a people who may lack medical literacy and health care. As a pharmacist, you will be exposed to those who are needy and poor on a daily basis.

Admissions to the school depends on how your grades, interview, experience, PCAT stack up to the rest of the applicants who are competing with you for the same seat. As long as you have competitive stats then obviously you have a good chance, they wouldn't invite you to an interview if they feel that you don't have a chance. Its a waste of their time and your time.

Closed file interviews

Study typical interview questions and use proper etiquette, study pharmacy and public health related topics, if you have community service and leadership roles you should emphasize this on the one on one interview. For the group interview, you will be expected to work in a team.

Received my interview invite here just a few days ago as well. Unfourtanately, I will have to decline, so good luck to all that go!!

around 3.5/82
hay yelenda, i was also invited for an interview on the 3rd, can you tell me how to prepare for the interview, how is it done, is it just with one of the admission office, or is it with students, are we gona be required to do any form of writting essays while we are there, can you please let me know

Info about the interviews that have been already answered which I qouted below..Any more info I will have to hold your hand and do the interview for you..There is no writing portion but there will be writing involved during the group interview..

The area around the school is safe. When in doubt, there is a police PCT 1 block away from the school. The streets of Harlem is not Park Avenue either, so use some common sense when navigating the street, as you would in any other city. Most whom live in Harlem have low income so its not exactly an extravagant or luxurious neighborhood. Some of the surrounding houses are a bit runned down. IMO, this is the best setting to learn how to interact with a people who may lack medical literacy and health care. As a pharmacist, you will be exposed to those who are needy and poor on a daily basis.

Admissions to the school depends on how your grades, interview, experience, PCAT stack up to the rest of the applicants who are competing with you for the same seat. As long as you have competitive stats then obviously you have a good chance, they wouldn't invite you to an interview if they feel that you don't have a chance. Its a waste of their time and your time.
hay how are you ...can you please let me know what health disparties means in your words...give us an idea

hay how are you ...can you please let me know what health disparties means in your words...give us an idea

someone who doesn't have insurance, a minority, someone who doesn't speak english, low health literacy...

It's not that bad, acting paranoid and crazy will make you a bigger target.

I've also received an invite to Touro in February :)

Btw, the admissions lady told me a long time ago, Touro is NOT rolling admissions

hey everybody I got invited for an interview on Feb 3 but I rescheduled it to the 8th at 1pm ....so excited....:)

I went to give in my supplemental app in person on the last week of january and from the looks of everything it was a pretty nice school, clean and although the students were off for their break i got a nice vibe....the staff are really nice idk wat other ppl were saying. I wish i cudve talked to some of the students but thats alright bec we always have Sparda!!!

To Sparda: what is the proper attire to wear to the interviews?

hey everybody I got invited for an interview on Feb 3 but I rescheduled it to the 8th at 1pm ....so excited....:)

I went to give in my supplemental app in person on the last week of january and from the looks of everything it was a pretty nice school, clean and although the students were off for their break i got a nice vibe....the staff are really nice idk wat other ppl were saying. I wish i cudve talked to some of the students but thats alright bec we always have Sparda!!!

To Sparda: what is the proper attire to wear to the interviews?

Business attire.

Come in your best suit and tie. Its better to be overprepared than underprepared. In all of the interviews I have been to, almost EVERYONE is in a suit. You don't want to be lefted out without one, it makes you look unprepared. Last year, one girl forgot to bring a pen, she got a bashing from the Dean of Student affairs for being unprepared during the group interview.

Come in your best suit and tie. Its better to be overprepared than underprepared. In all of the interviews I have been to, almost EVERYONE is in a suit. You don't want to be lefted out without one, it makes you look unprepared. Last year, one girl forgot to bring a pen, she got a bashing from the Dean of Student affairs for being unprepared during the group interview.

Right. Might also want to add a little portfolio/writing pad to that list of stuff to bring.

I'll cancel my interview on Feb 3rd. Good luck everyone!!!

Don't bring your parents/family to the interview. Last year I walked into the student lounge to study/chill/sleep and pretty much the whole room was filled with family members of interviewees.

THAt's funny... How many weeks do they interview for and how long till they send out acceptance letters?? Does The interview get graded since they have three parts?

THAt's funny... How many weeks do they interview for and how long till they send out acceptance letters?? Does The interview get graded since they have three parts?

Don't know how long the interview process will take, last year it was 3 weeks. Acceptance letters... check PharmCAS.

Don't know how long the interview process will take, last year it was 3 weeks. Acceptance letters... check PharmCAS.

How long does it take to get acceptance letter after interview? Do you get one after all interviews are done or your specific one?

Oh, from what I know, Touro sends acceptance e-mails. You get your letter later on for bragging rights and whatnot.

How long till they send out the email?
How important is this interview to whether or not they will take you?

Sparda Touro Pharmacy should pay for all the help you give to students trying to get in or got in. Or atleast give you a tuition discount ..thanks again

Here are more hints about whats going to be on the interview I found on Facebook..I took out the names for privacy..Good luck everyone

They will ask you basic questions, such as what are your hobbies, least favorite subject in school, etc... Also, be knowledgeable on public health and health disparities. Good luck : )

any suggestians on what should i prepare myself with before the interview, or what should i say T...thanks alot for getting back to me by the way
Tue at 10:31pm ·

hey M, go on student doctor network and get practice questions from there. But yes T is right Touro NY focus is on public health so know more about it.
Hi,
T and k are both right....Know ur definition of success, y u chose pharmacy, y u chose touro, public health nd health disparities is VERY IMPORTANT!, just be yourself and u'll be fine...And don't forget to ask the question to be repeated if u are unsure or ask to explain for clarification! Also, DO NOT BE LATE! Dr GP gets very upset if u r (just ask the front desk where the interview is held and go directly to that room) They might also assign a task to work in groups and once its over, they might ask u to write an essay about what u just did (teamwork is very important) so they want to make sure that u understood the purpose of that activity...im just telling you what i remember...there may be more or less....good luck!
Yesterday at 1:19pm ·S you are the best, thanks so much sl and k please...any one who is in touro please let me know more infor if you have any regarding the interview....