Touro MI vs Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heech

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My first choice is without a doubt Touro Mare Island, mostly because it's close to family/friends. And I've seen the campus, and while not excited, I'm not too bothered either.

But it seems to me like there's an awful lot of excitement for Touro - LV... that's a newer campus, right? Can someone help with a comparison between the two? Do most prefer it for the location primarily, or is the school/facilities/faculty/residency options also superior to Mare Island?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on where you want to be.

Man it would be so nice to be close to home. To go somewhere on the weekend and drop off laundry and get some real food.

Even better, it would be sweet to live at home. Man... I was so stupid moving out at 16year old. 11 years later... and I still keep kicking myself. My brothers still live at home. They drive nice cars and are getting bigger around the waste.

heech said:
Hi all,

My first choice is without a doubt Touro Mare Island, mostly because it's close to family/friends. And I've seen the campus, and while not excited, I'm not too bothered either.

But it seems to me like there's an awful lot of excitement for Touro - LV... that's a newer campus, right? Can someone help with a comparison between the two? Do most prefer it for the location primarily, or is the school/facilities/faculty/residency options also superior to Mare Island?

Thanks!

The biggest difference between the two is probably that one is still building and the other isn't. You also have to look at Mare Island being in Vallejo and whether you want to stay close to home or move away.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is true that TUCOM-NV is still building but the opportunities are tremendous with regards to rotations and future residencies. Nevada as a state is the fastest growing state in the country...Las Vegas is the fastest growing city in the nation right now. it grows on average 6000 people per month. what this means for doctors is that there is a tremendous need for doctors developing in the state, not to mention this city.

it is a place where you can build your own reputation and your own future. it is a phenomenal opportunity for someone who wants to break the status-quo and move above and beyond conventional academic opportunity.

we just had our white coat ceremony today and it was great...families and friends from the nation wide came out to see the first TUCOM-NV class receive their coats. it was inspiring and exciting to be a part of this inauguration.

at first it too wanted to go to Mare Island, but when i saw the opportunity and heard the vision of the Nevada administration i was sold. They have a desire to serve the students synergistically by combining their experience and our passion in a tract destine for success. The administration and Faculty will do, and or change, what it takes to optimize our learning experience. i've never looked back on my choice to come to Nevada.

take it for what it's worth...this is just my opinion

if you have any other questions email me...

Nate
Class of 2008
TUCOM-NV
[email protected]

Ubiquitous7 said:
we just had our white coat ceremony today and it was great...families and friends from the nation wide came out to see the first TUCOM-NV class receive their coats. it was inspiring and exciting to be a part of this inauguration.

[email protected]

Oh, my God. Welcome to med school -- here's your white coat! We didn't have ours until 2 months before our boards (and a few classmates dropping out).

docbill said:
It really depends on where you want to be.

Man it would be so nice to be close to home. To go somewhere on the weekend and drop off laundry and get some real food.

Even better, it would be sweet to live at home. Man... I was so stupid moving out at 16year old. 11 years later... and I still keep kicking myself. My brothers still live at home. They drive nice cars and are getting bigger around the waste.

on the plus side...Not sexy to live with parents and have big waist.

You are cool. Currently I am uncool-crashing at my moms (going on three months now...)

But I am driving a nice(r) car :D

glorytaker said:
Oh, my God. Welcome to med school -- here's your white coat! We didn't have ours until 2 months before our boards (and a few classmates dropping out).
Aren't you at TUCOM-NV as well? :confused: :confused:

OnMyWayThere said:
Aren't you at TUCOM-NV as well? :confused: :confused:

Sorry for the confusion. I get it a lot here, having to explain to a lot of doctors, nurses and patients I'm with Tour-CA but doing rotations in LV. If I do my residency in the area, you might end up in a rotation with me! Think about that...

glorytaker said:
Sorry for the confusion. I get it a lot here, having to explain to a lot of doctors, nurses and patients I'm with Tour-CA but doing rotations in LV. If I do my residency in the area, you might end up in a rotation with me! Think about that...

How do you like your rotations in LV?

cardiotonic
TUCOM-NV Class of 2009!!!

I'm not really hearing answers to the question I *meant* to ask...

Which is, does anyone believe the quality of education (and more important, future career opportunity) to be significantly different between the MI and NV sites? The facilities, the professors, rotations? This is assuming I plan on working in California ultimately, so a rapidly growing Las Vegas/Nevada isn't an important consideration in the long run.

cardiotonic said:
How do you like your rotations in LV?

cardiotonic
TUCOM-NV Class of 2009!!!

They're awesome. It's pretty much me and the attending in most rotations so there are no interns or residents between me and the doctor so I can ask him all the questions directly. But at the same time, I lose the traditional chain of command and the survival tips and advice I would get from those interns and residents about my boards and the whole process of finding a residency. Like everything there are positives and negatives.