Touro Nevada MHS: 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here going to the Acceptance Day in May at Touro? Also who knows the facilitator for the FB group? I'm still waiting for the acceptance... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Did any of you have any problems sending your GPA calculator? I had to redo it twice, and Mr. Buckner still hasn't received it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i emailed him a week ago and no reply too !!
He was out for almost a week. But he just eimaled saying that all of my documents have been received.

Reactions: 1 users
My application was completed on 3/30 and I haven't heard back yet either.

• Wow
Who is going to their open house this Thursday?

I’m debating if it’s worth it to drive there from LA and come back at night?
It’s 5 hours one way

• Wow
Who is going to their open house this Thursday?

I’m debating if it’s worth it to drive there from LA and come back at night?
It’s 5 hours one way

I'll be there! :) I'm also from LA so I gave this a good thought haha.. I think it totally depends on whether you would like to stay in Las Vegas for a night (stay/sleep in hotel), or leave on the same day.. I'd say it will be ok to drive if ur staying the night and getting a good night sleep before u go back.. however since I wanted to leave on the same day, I felt like it would be too much to make that trip going back and forth in one day, so decided to just fly out!

I'll be there! :) I'm also from LA so I gave this a good thought haha.. I think it totally depends on whether you would like to stay in Las Vegas for a night (stay/sleep in hotel), or leave on the same day.. I'd say it will be ok to drive if ur staying the night and getting a good night sleep before u go back.. however since I wanted to leave on the same day, I felt like it would be too much to make that trip going back and forth in one day, so decided to just fly out!
Thank you:) I decided to rent a car and power through this in one day haha
There are no good flight times left...so hopefully I won’t fall asleep since I do need to be back home on Friday morning.

I’ll see you tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you:) I decided to rent a car and power through this in one day haha
There are no good flight times left...so hopefully I won’t fall asleep since I do need to be back home on Friday morning.

I’ll see you tomorrow!

Good luck, load up on coffee/tea, and try to take at least one rest during the drive!! U got this :)

I didn’t see anyone from SDN today!

It was a pretty good info session. Mr. Buckner is the best :)

• Love
Did any of you have any problems sending your GPA calculator? I had to redo it twice, and Mr. Buckner still hasn't received it.
I had to talk to him like 6x over the phone about the GPA calculator it never went through correctly. I ended using and excel spread sheet with macros and formulas to calculate my various GPAs he accepted that.

~I wonder why I haven't received any notifications from this this thread lately?~

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for making this forum! :)

Yes, I applied and have been recently placed on the waitlist for this program.. I attempted to ask several questions on last year's forum, but no current student answered any yet, so I will transfer them over here in case any current student in the MHS program sees this forum, and is willing to answer them:

1)If you are currently a student in the MHS program, can you expand a little on the program's pros and cons now that you are getting near the end of it? How is the program, and how is Touro, Nevada in general? Do you recommend it to those of us who are attempting to enter med. school after?

2)Question regarding the MCAT/GRE preparation class embedded in the curriculum: is it a mandatory course, or elective that may not be taken? Because I am attempting to retake my MCAT before starting the program so that I can only focus on classes, and get the best grades I can.. I feel like preparing for the MCAT while in the program might take away needed time from studying for classes..

3)Does any current student have an idea of how easy/hard it is to get off of the waitlist? How can I possibly improve my chances besides maybe sending in a letter??

Thank you so much!

Hey there. I apologize for a less-than-prompt response, but hopefully I can answer some of your questions. First and foremost, I did MHS to get into Touro's PA program, not DO, so the information I'm providing regarding the DO program and admission to the DO program is strictly based off of what I've been told by my classmates who are on that track (many of whom I am close with).

1) Pros:
  • The courses you take in MHS are designed to mimic year 1 of DO school (this has been confirmed by several former MHS students currently enrolled in the DO program), so it truly prepares you for success as a DO student. I've been told that the majority of former MHS students (now first year DO students) are in the top of their class, which apparently is not a new trend.
  • The professors who teach the MHS students also teach the DO students, which is beneficial in many ways:
    • You build a rapport with the professors who you will be interacting with for years to come
    • You become familiar with individual teaching styles and learn how to study for the courses each professor teaches
    • You are taking exams written by those professors, so you get a better idea of how they will test you as a DO student
  • Staff is friendly and extremely approachable. Open door policy applies to most.
  • Your transition to Touro/Vegas will not be nearly as stressful as if you were to come here as a first year DO student
Cons:
  • Honestly, there are not many cons that come to mind as someone who will be starting the PA program in July (along with >90% of the other pre-PAs in my class). However, this past year was a completely different story for the pre-DOs. Let me back up a second. The pre-DOs in the MHS class last year were accepted to the DO program in a couple different ways: 1) if they had a >3.25 GPA, >500 MCAT score, and interviewed well; or 2) if they had a >3.5 GPA and interviewed well (even WITHOUT a >500 MCAT score). The dean at the time offered to waive the MCAT requirement if MHS students had a >3.5 GPA (I'm pretty sure everyone got in last year). So, when the pre-DOs in my class started the MHS program, they were told that this condition would also apply to them. However, the College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) got a new dean halfway through the fall 2018 semester. Many of the students were asking faculty if this would have any impact on the aforementioned acceptance conditions put in place by the former dean. Responses to these questions were ambiguous and, from what I've been told, anything but reassuring. However, word of mouth around campus was that the new dean would be honoring these conditions for our cohort since he accepted the position well after the MHS program had already started. Nevertheless, this "honoring of last years conditions" was never explicitly told to our class, so many of the students were still wary of what was going to happen. The pre-DOs were told to continue to study hard, and to take the MCAT (if they didn't have a >500 on file) "only if they felt ready to take it," inferring that you shouldn't worry about the MCAT if you had a >3.5 GPA. Fall semester ends, the pre-PAs get their acceptances, and everyone goes home for break. We get a couple months into spring semester, still no word from the dean. No emails, no visits to the MHS classroom (he's the dean of the COM and can't even spend a few minutes introducing himself to one of the two programs that he is responsible for? Not a good look, but that's just my opinion). In late March or early April, those with a 3.25 GPA are extended interviews for the DO program, as expected per the TUN website. There were only a few students who did not get interviews. Interviews come and go. Those with a >3.25 GPA + >500 MCAT and those with a >3.5 GPA +/- >500 MCAT are feeling good, as they are still under the impression that acceptance to the DO program would occur under the same conditions as the last MHS cohort. Admissions contacts the students a couple weeks later, and only ~8/~30 students that interviewed were outright accepted to the program. Those with a >3.5 GPA but without a >500 MCAT were "conditionally accepted," and could only matriculate if they could come up with a >500 MCAT before they closed the DO class. Keep in mind that it's April at this point (I've never taken the MCAT, but I know you can't just schedule it and take it a week or two later, especially while trying to keep your grades up in a master's-level medical program). Other students (including some with both the GPA and MCAT requirements) were waitlisted. Needless to say, students were furious that they were not informed of these new conditions when the new dean stepped in several months ago. The dean [finally] came in to talk to our class after the students received their acceptance notices (a month and a half before the MHS program wraps up, another good look). He essentially said that the MCAT is a vital indicator of student's success in medical school, and that MHS students MUST HAVE A >500 MCAT for admission to the DO program (not sure why he kept those strong beliefs behind closed doors for 6 months, but here we are). Since then, morale has been low, but those that were conditionally accepted or waitlisted have remained persistent and somewhat hopeful that something would change in their favor. Today, the dean had 5 minute meetings with those students, and I've just learned that 2 of my close friends were pulled from the conditional list and were accepted to the DO program. I do not know the outcome of the other meetings. While this is incredible news, it did not come without months of "guessing" as to what the requirements were for admission to DO school, not to mention the emotional stress that followed. Since his arrival, the dean has not shown any interest in the MHS program, and quite frankly I don't think he even knows what the MHS program actually is, despite several attempts by our professors to inform him of MHS students' overwhelming success in DO/PA school. My advice is to remember what happened to this year's MHS program. I don't know what the incoming MHS class has been told in terms of admission to DO school, but I highly recommend getting everything in writing so that something like this doesn't happen to you. I watched many of my fellow classmates get strung along by false hope, not knowing if their dreams of becoming a physician would indeed come true. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  • As a pre-PA in MHS, I do not have any cons to report.
2) For our MHS cohort, you were required to choose between the MCAT/GRE prep class or Biomedical Ethics. Those that had adequate MCAT/GRE scores opted for the latter, while those that needed an MCAT/GRE score took the former. While it is possible to take the MCAT during the MHS program, it is extremely difficult, and I personally watched many of my classmates fall short of the mark when taking the MCAT during the program. I'm not sure what your current MCAT score is, but if it's not super close to a 500, I don't think it's realistic that you'll be able to get a >500 during MHS.

3) I'm not sure how the waitlist operates. I don't personally know anyone that was on it for my cohort. I would recommend contacting either Charles Buckner (he does all the recruiting for MHS) or Steven Prinster (the MHS program director). Both are incredibly nice and helpful.

If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out! And let me know if that long-winded response to question 1 needs any clarification.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Hey there. I apologize for a less-than-prompt response, but hopefully I can answer some of your questions. First and foremost, I did MHS to get into Touro's PA program, not DO, so the information I'm providing regarding the DO program and admission to the DO program is strictly based off of what I've been told by my classmates who are on that track (many of whom I am close with).

1) Pros:
  • The courses you take in MHS are designed to mimic year 1 of DO school (this has been confirmed by several former MHS students currently enrolled in the DO program), so it truly prepares you for success as a DO student. I've been told that the majority of former MHS students (now first year DO students) are in the top of their class, which apparently is not a new trend.
  • The professors who teach the MHS students also teach the DO students, which is beneficial in many ways:
    • You build a rapport with the professors who you will be interacting with for years to come
    • You become familiar with individual teaching styles and learn how to study for the courses each professor teaches
    • You are taking exams written by those professors, so you get a better idea of how they will test you as a DO student
  • Staff is friendly and extremely approachable. Open door policy applies to most.
  • Your transition to Touro/Vegas will not be nearly as stressful as if you were to come here as a first year DO student
Cons:
  • Honestly, there are not many cons that come to mind as someone who will be starting the PA program in July (along with >90% of the other pre-PAs in my class). However, this past year was a completely different story for the pre-DOs. Let me back up a second. The pre-DOs in the MHS class last year were accepted to the DO program in a couple different ways: 1) if they had a >3.25 GPA, >500 MCAT score, and interviewed well; or 2) if they had a >3.5 GPA and interviewed well (even WITHOUT a >500 MCAT score). The dean at the time offered to waive the MCAT requirement if MHS students had a >3.5 GPA (I'm pretty sure everyone got in last year). So, when the pre-DOs in my class started the MHS program, they were told that this condition would also apply to them. However, the College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) got a new dean halfway through the fall 2018 semester. Many of the students were asking faculty if this would have any impact on the aforementioned acceptance conditions put in place by the former dean. Responses to these questions were ambiguous and, from what I've been told, anything but reassuring. However, word of mouth around campus was that the new dean would be honoring these conditions for our cohort since he accepted the position well after the MHS program had already started. Nevertheless, this "honoring of last years conditions" was never explicitly told to our class, so many of the students were still wary of what was going to happen. The pre-DOs were told to continue to study hard, and to take the MCAT (if they didn't have a >500 on file) "only if they felt ready to take it," inferring that you shouldn't worry about the MCAT if you had a >3.5 GPA. Fall semester ends, the pre-PAs get their acceptances, and everyone goes home for break. We get a couple months into spring semester, still no word from the dean. No emails, no visits to the MHS classroom (he's the dean of the COM and can't even spend a few minutes introducing himself to one of the two programs that he is responsible for? Not a good look, but that's just my opinion). In late March or early April, those with a 3.25 GPA are extended interviews for the DO program, as expected per the TUN website. There were only a few students who did not get interviews. Interviews come and go. Those with a >3.25 GPA + >500 MCAT and those with a >3.5 GPA +/- >500 MCAT are feeling good, as they are still under the impression that acceptance to the DO program would occur under the same conditions as the last MHS cohort. Admissions contacts the students a couple weeks later, and only ~8/~30 students that interviewed were outright accepted to the program. Those with a >3.5 GPA but without a >500 MCAT were "conditionally accepted," and could only matriculate if they could come up with a >500 MCAT before they closed the DO class. Keep in mind that it's April at this point (I've never taken the MCAT, but I know you can't just schedule it and take it a week or two later, especially while trying to keep your grades up in a master's-level medical program). Other students (including some with both the GPA and MCAT requirements) were waitlisted. Needless to say, students were furious that they were not informed of these new conditions when the new dean stepped in several months ago. The dean [finally] came in to talk to our class after the students received their acceptance notices (a month and a half before the MHS program wraps up, another good look). He essentially said that the MCAT is a vital indicator of student's success in medical school, and that MHS students MUST HAVE A >500 MCAT for admission to the DO program (not sure why he kept those strong beliefs behind closed doors for 6 months, but here we are). Since then, morale has been low, but those that were conditionally accepted or waitlisted have remained persistent and somewhat hopeful that something would change in their favor. Today, the dean had 5 minute meetings with those students, and I've just learned that 2 of my close friends were pulled from the conditional list and were accepted to the DO program. I do not know the outcome of the other meetings. While this is incredible news, it did not come without months of "guessing" as to what the requirements were for admission to DO school, not to mention the emotional stress that followed. Since his arrival, the dean has not shown any interest in the MHS program, and quite frankly I don't think he even knows what the MHS program actually is, despite several attempts by our professors to inform him of MHS students' overwhelming success in DO/PA school. My advice is to remember what happened to this year's MHS program. I don't know what the incoming MHS class has been told in terms of admission to DO school, but I highly recommend getting everything in writing so that something like this doesn't happen to you. I watched many of my fellow classmates get strung along by false hope, not knowing if their dreams of becoming a physician would indeed come true. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
2) For our MHS cohort, you were required to choose between the MCAT/GRE prep class or Biomedical Ethics. Those that had adequate MCAT/GRE scores opted for the latter, while those that needed an MCAT/GRE score took the former. While it is possible to take the MCAT during the MHS program, it is extremely difficult, and I personally watched many of my classmates fall short of the mark when taking the MCAT during the program. I'm not sure what your current MCAT score is, but if it's not super close to a 500, I don't think it's realistic that you'll be able to get a >500 during MHS.

3) I'm not sure how the waitlist operates. I don't personally know anyone that was on it for my cohort. I would recommend contacting either Charles Buckner (he does all the recruiting for MHS) or Steven Prinster (the MHS program director). Both are incredibly nice and helpful.

If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out! And let me know if that long-winded response to question 1 needs any clarification.

We really appreciate your response, this was very insightful. Seems like this was an interesting year for the MHS class. Now I'm not so sure I want to be accepted, b/c I'm definitely on the sub 500 spectrum of the MCAT and I'm trying to figure out how to get to at least 500. I know that TUN offers the MCAT prep course. When I talked to admissions, he said that it was good that my MCAT went up by 8pts, but I should really work on getting it to at least 500 and better to be over 500. He said I can do the MHS program take it during the fall, take it next year in the spring, or take it after I finish the Master's program. Which really isn't ideal, since I am wanting to matriculate the year I finish the MHS program.

Last edited:

1) Pros:
Cons:

Thank you so much for taking time to fully answer all my questions, I really appreciate it!! This was very insightful since I applied to several master programs and am still waiting on decisions before choosing the most appropriate one for me!

Any more acceptances?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you know? Did they contact you in anyway?
I received an email 2 weeks ago that read:

"Greetings Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in Touro University Nevada’s Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences program. This email confirms the receipt of your Touro University Nevada application. I have identified the following:

Documents Received:

-TUN Application

-Resume

-Technical Standards Form

-Letters of recommendation

-Personal Statement
and MHS Supplemental Questions

-GPA Calculator or AACOMAS/CASPA Application

-Official transcripts from all colleges and universities that you attened

Your application is under faculty review. Please allow 2 weeks (June 1, 2019) to receive an official notification (via email) of your admissions decision. Please feel free to contact me should you have additional questions or concerns."

I have the same email. Plus I also know that all final decisions were made last Wednesday. So hopefully we’ll know something today or tomorrow.

I have the same email. Plus I also know that all final decisions were made last Wednesday. So hopefully we’ll know something today or tomorrow.
See, I wasn't aware that all final decisions were made.But if I am extended an offer. I'm confused about the feedback left above regarding the 3.25 GPA & >500 MCAT vs 3.5+ GPA & <500 MCAT. I need something solid lol I don't want to get myself in a sticky situation.

I don’t even have my MCAT score now, I’m taking it in July. But I’m planning to retake it in November if I end up scoring lower than 500. I want to be safe and maintain 3.5 GPA and 500+ score.
See, I wasn't aware that all final decisions were made.But if I am extended an offer. I'm confused about the feedback left above regarding the 3.25 GPA & >500 MCAT vs 3.5+ GPA & <500 MCAT. I need something solid lol I don't want to get myself in a sticky situation.
How close are you to 500? If you’re close, don’t even worry about it.

It’s noon already and no news

I’m waitlisted :grumpy:

• Sad
I’m waitlisted :grumpy:

Awwww man!!! :bang: You too?!! :( Did they tell u anything at all regarding the waitlist movement? I am still on it, and received absolutely no communication at all since then..

Awwww man!!! :bang: You too?!! :( Did they tell u anything at all regarding the waitlist movement? I am still on it, and received absolutely no communication at all since then..
No, they just said to wait for the official email on Monday. Hopefully our waitlist position would be listed there. But I’m pretty sure if you’ve been on their waitlist for awhile you’ll receive your acceptance tomorrow :)

I don’t even have my MCAT score now, I’m taking it in July. But I’m planning to retake it in November if I end up scoring lower than 500. I want to be safe and maintain 3.5 GPA and 500+ score.

Good Morning all,
I'm pretty distant from the 500 threshold. My first score was 480 (2018), this year I got a 488. Not so hot at all. And I know I'm a pretty crappy test taker but geez this MCAT is working me out left & right.

I just received my rejection. Like seconds ago.

• Sad
Got an official email from them as well... still on waitlist.. no change.. did not mention how long the waitlist process would go on, nor the ranking of it

Got an official email from them as well... still on waitlist.. no change.. did not mention how long the waitlist process would go on, nor the ranking of it
Same. I'm afraid to call him and ask about rankings. I'm hoping there's only 3-5 people on the waitlist.

I just received my rejection. Like seconds ago.
Urghhh:( well, he said that if people apply in August, there is a great chance of acceptance. We just applied too late:(

• Sad
Urghhh:( well, he said that if people apply in August, there is a great chance of acceptance. We just applied too late:(
I'm sorry @MedSun , were you rejected as well? Or only waitlisted? I mean it's okay I did get 2 acceptances elsewhere but it's unfortunate that I was really encouraged to apply even after we discussed the politics of my situation; however I suppose as a member of admissions a part of his job duties is to advocate for their program and school.

I'm sorry @MedSun , were you rejected as well? Or only waitlisted? I mean it's okay I did get 2 acceptances elsewhere but it's unfortunate that I was really encouraged to apply even after we discussed the politics of my situation; however I suppose as a member of admissions a part of his job duties is to advocate for their program and school.
True. I'm still waitlisted and I only applied to this school because I don't have the MCAT score yet:( plus it's close to home.

Same. I'm afraid to call him and ask about rankings. I'm hoping there's only 3-5 people on the waitlist.

I attempted to call him this morning but he will be out of the office until the 10th.. so I sent him an email but he won't get to it until he returns :( Did you happen to catch him before he left and were able to ask him about whether this waitlist is ranked or not??

• Sad
I attempted to call him this morning but he will be out of the office until the 10th.. so I sent him an email but he won't get to it until he returns :( Did you happen to catch him before he left and were able to ask him about whether this waitlist is ranked or not??
No, I sent him an email and I got his automated response too. :(

Has anyone heard any updates about the waitlist/ when final decisions will be made?

Has anyone heard any updates about the waitlist/ when final decisions will be made?

From what I heard, only a few people on the waitlist will be hearing at a time.. the rest remain unranked in position until those people who got notified get off the waitlist and so forth.. so basically mostly everyone on waitlist is still waiting..

I was accepted from the waitlist! Mr. Buckner called me last week to tell me I was next in line, and I just got the notice that I was in.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to post this (as it's taking awhile for the admin of the FB group to approve my request to join and I'm unaware of any TUN roommate specific forum), but is anyone currently looking for a male roommate? I don't mind if it's with males or females, I just want to get my housing situation figured out quickly as I have tons to do over the next week.

Is it safe to say that a 500 plus mcat and 3.5 in the program gets you accepted to the DO program??

Received an email a few hours ago from Mr. Buckner saying that the MHS class is full and they are no longer considering my application from the waitlist... Best of luck to those accepted!

• Sad

1) Pros:
Cons:

This is concerning to hear. I spoke with Mr Buckner today and he said 27/30 people who interviewed made it into the DO program. So it sounds like a pretty strong linkage??

Can any current students comment on how their experience has been at this program?

Hey guys,

Has anyone received acceptance from the MHS program with these stats (or lower stats than this):
Science GPA: 3.39
Pre Req GPA: 3.23
cGPA: 3.31

I am worried I won't get accepted.

Hello :)
Can somebody who is a current MHS student make a facebook page for us 2020-2021 students?