Touro Nevada vs. COMP, any input?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leilani37

Nervous wreck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've interviewed at these two schools and am torn between which school to go to (If I'll be so lucky to get an acceptance :scared: ) I'll know by next week If I get in. Does anyone have any personal feedback on either of the two schools? Thanks :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Leilani37 said:
I've interviewed at these two schools and am torn between which school to go to (If I'll be so lucky to get an acceptance :scared: ) I'll know by next week If I get in. Does anyone have any personal feedback on either of the two schools? Thanks :love:
Don't wear yourself out unless you get accepted to both schools. There is no point when the decision does not exist. If location is not a factor though (proximity to family, S.O., etc.) then I'd choose TU-NV. An old mentor used to tell me, " You don't have a problem til you have a problem"... so if you actually get accepted to both, then you should start using up the energy to choose! Good luck.
P.S. I believe TU-NV emailed their acceptances from last week a couple of days ago, so if you didn't receive the email maybe you should email and find out tomorrow if this is really bothering you. :luck:

OnMyWayThere said:
Don't wear yourself out unless you get accepted to both schools. There is no point when the decision does not exist. If location is not a factor though (proximity to family, S.O., etc.) then I'd choose TU-NV. An old mentor used to tell me, " You don't have a problem til you have a problem"... so if you actually get accepted to both, then you should start using up the energy to choose! Good luck.
P.S. I believe TU-NV emailed their acceptances from last week a couple of days ago, so if you didn't receive the email maybe you should email and find out tomorrow if this is really bothering you. :luck:

Are you at Touro now? They told me we'd receive an email by Friday next week because the admissions committee didn't meet until this week (they meet every two weeks). Hopefully I'm right and I might still have a chance. I really overlooked Touro and took the interview to get ready for my interview at COMP, but after going there I really want to go there. I thought the students were great and the faculty really made me feel welcome. Your advice was very sound and I really should take it to heart :) ...unfortunately this situation seems to consume my psyche to the point where I'm getting sick over it. I've re-scheduled my other three interviews to the month of January with hopes I'll receive an acceptance from Touro or Comp so can cancel them. The best thing for me to do is chill and see what happens next week. Deep breath :oops: Thanks for the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
i presently attend TU-NV and love it...if you have any specific questions please email me...i'd love to help in any way i can. it may take me longer to respond to questions on SDN.

Nate
President
SGA
Touro-NV
Class of 2008

that is true about not rushing to make up your mind til you are faced with that decision, but i know how you feel...you are an optimist like myself. i was faced with the exact situation you are in but i interviewed at touro MI instead of touro NV. i chose COMP cause the clinical years will better represent where i want to do my residency, which is so cal. i have never been to touro NV, but i hear its alot better in terms of atmosphere than touro MI, and a huge factor in my decision was that touro MI looked deserted and scary. but im a city boy, and all though pomona aint that great, its nice to know big cities are just minutes away.

but either way, good luck! you will be a doctor, thats all I care about now that im done playing the game of getting in.

hotlikebutter said:
that is true about not rushing to make up your mind til you are faced with that decision, but i know how you feel...you are an optimist like myself. i was faced with the exact situation you are in but i interviewed at touro MI instead of touro NV. i chose COMP cause the clinical years will better represent where i want to do my residency, which is so cal. i have never been to touro NV, but i hear its alot better in terms of atmosphere than touro MI, and a huge factor in my decision was that touro MI looked deserted and scary. but im a city boy, and all though pomona aint that great, its nice to know big cities are just minutes away.

but either way, good luck! you will be a doctor, thats all I care about now that im done playing the game of getting in.

Congrats!! I'm very happy for you! I may see you at COMP next year...we'll see. Good luck to you too! :p

Ubiquitous7 said:
i presently attend TU-NV and love it...if you have any specific questions please email me...i'd love to help in any way i can. it may take me longer to respond to questions on SDN.

Nate
President
SGA
Touro-NV
Class of 2008

I met you at my orientation :) I'll keep in touch and let you know if I'll be there next year. I hope so. :luck:

Any suggestions on finding information on TUCOM-Nevada? I'm contemplating completing the secondary but would like to find out more about the program. Especially what kind of services it is providing to the community and whether there are clinical exposure opportunities during 1st and 2nd year. There is very little on the school webpage and do they know that www.tumi.edu does not work?

pem8erly said:
Any suggestions on finding information on TUCOM-Nevada? I'm contemplating completing the secondary but would like to find out more about the program. Especially what kind of services it is providing to the community and whether there are clinical exposure opportunities during 1st and 2nd year. There is very little on the school webpage and do they know that www.tumi.edu does not work?
Contact Mr. Corbman at [email protected] and he will answer your specific questions...

OnMyWayThere said:
Contact Mr. Corbman at [email protected] and he will answer your specific questions...
Very good advice...but as far as our opportunities... I think the sky is the limit...it is up to us to make it happen.

TUCOM-NV Class of 2009!!!

I think clinical exposure during the first and second years is a great idea. I think atleast a couple of 08'ers are pushing for this as we speak.

TUCOM-NV Class of 2009!!!

I think my app got lost somewhere in Nevada. Haven't heard a thing from them. No secondary invite. I guess I could call... but what can you do? I think I'm over 115 degree summers in nasty Las Vegas. mmmm beautiful. :thumbdown:

MagnumDR said:
I think my app got lost somewhere in Nevada. Haven't heard a thing from them. No secondary invite. I guess I could call... but what can you do? I think I'm over 115 degree summers in nasty Las Vegas. mmmm beautiful. :thumbdown:

If you're really concerned about your application being lost, then I would think you'd email or call the office of admissions ASAP to either verify the receipt of your application or check the status. Roger Corbman and the rest of the admissions staff are really nice and would definitely help you out. If you're really interested in attending this school, I imagine that you would have already completed this task by now. No offense, but it appears from your statement that TUN - COM does not rank high on your list. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
pem8erly said:

this is a great question and here is the update...

presently our student government has been working with the deans to establish a 1st and 2nd year preceptorship program. we should be starting already this year.

the CEO of our county's Health dept. has contacted all the county's clinical staff in finding who is interested in having medical students come in and help out. we already have 96 physicians who enthusiastically have responding and are willing to start as soon as possible.

this also demonstrates the phenomenal reception of our community. and therefore the unlimited opportunities that we have here in Vegas.

Nate

also see my previous post...

Ubiquitous7 said:
this is a great question and here is the update...

presently our student government has been working with the deans to establish a 1st and 2nd year preceptorship program. we should be starting already this year.

the CEO of our county's Health dept. has contacted all the county's clinical staff in finding who is interested in having medical students come in and help out. we already have 96 physicians who enthusiastically have responding and are willing to start as soon as possible.

this also demonstrates the phenomenal reception of our community. and therefore the unlimited opportunities that we have here in Vegas.

Nate

also see my previous post...

great info, nate

good luck on your last block

I'm sure Touro NV is a great school and new facilities must be nice. The flip side of a new school is that rotations are less well established and these years are the most important.

I don't know anything about what they have set up in Las Vegas but I imagine that most rotations sites are dominated by the MD schools in the state. Being stuck in preceptorship type rotations can limit your residency applications. Look into this.

I am a first year at COMP and although I don't like the area and the facilities aren't superb, I do like their systems based curriculum and their history of landing their students great residencies.

Also, COMP has a unique Intensive Summer Anatomy program. You can get gross anatomy out of the way and be a teaching assistant in the Fall. This frees up so much time and lets you concentrate on other classes.

donvicious said:
I'm sure Touro NV is a great school and new facilities must be nice. The flip side of a new school is that rotations are less well established and these years are the most important.

I don't know anything about what they have set up in Las Vegas but I imagine that most rotations sites are dominated by the MD schools in the state. Being stuck in preceptorship type rotations can limit your residency applications. Look into this.

I am a first year at COMP and although I don't like the area and the facilities aren't superb, I do like their systems based curriculum and their history of landing their students great residencies.

Also, COMP has a unique Intensive Summer Anatomy program. You can get gross anatomy out of the way and be a teaching assistant in the Fall. This frees up so much time and lets you concentrate on other classes.

i can appreciated your use of solid logic, however, your presuppositions are not the case...therefore, as a word of advice please use caution in painting a negative picture of what you admittedly do not know.

to be clear, the preceptorship program that i was referencing is for the 1st and 2nd years and not the third and fourth. regarding our rotations, we have one of the previous VP of the university of Nevada Reno Medical School (UNR) who is well networked in the state as our Dean of students, Dr. Harter. as a side note UNR is the only medial school in the state and they have a very small annual graduating class. therefore, with us being the only medical school in las vegas, which is becoming a booming community, our need and opportunities for rotations and residencies are as good as nearly anywhere. in direct relation to rotations and residencies our Dean of Clinical is Dr. Milne who is a life long Las Vegan and has worked here for, i believe, approx. 15 years. he is well networked in the area and is in charge of establishing our rotations...he is a great asset to our school.

it is correct that there are to be bumps and glitches along the way of establishing our new school, but using the systems and learning from our sister institution, Mare Island, we are well on our way to great success.

to address another misnomer...we are only partially systems based the first year and will begin PBL next semester. we do however, function entirely systems based the second year with integrated PBL. being new there is room however to move either toward or away from systems or PBL...so things may not remain as they are planned as of now.

i hope this helps...

Nathan Neufeld
Class of 2008 (first class)
President
Student Government Association
Touro-NV

[email protected]

Ubiquitous7 said:
i can appreciated your use of solid logic, however, your presuppositions are not the case...therefore, as a word of advice please use caution in painting a negative picture of what you admittedly do not know.

to be clear, the preceptorship program that i was referencing is for the 1st and 2nd years and not the third and fourth. regarding our rotations, we have one of the previous VP of the university of Nevada Reno Medical School (UNR) who is well networked in the state as our Dean of students, Dr. Harter. as a side note UNR is the only medial school in the state and they have a very small annual graduating class. therefore, with us being the only medical school in las vegas, which is becoming a booming community, our need and opportunities for rotations and residencies are as good as nearly anywhere. in direct relation to rotations and residencies our Dean of Clinical is Dr. Milne who is a life long Las Vegan and has worked here for, i believe, approx. 15 years. he is well networked in the area and is in charge of establishing our rotations...he is a great asset to our school.

it is correct that there are to be bumps and glitches along the way of establishing our new school, but using the systems and learning from our sister institution, Mare Island, we are well on our way to great success.

to address another misnomer...we are only partially systems based the first year and will begin PBL next semester. we do however, function entirely systems based the second year with integrated PBL. being new there is room however to move either toward or away from systems or PBL...so things may not remain as they are planned as of now.

i hope this helps...

Nathan Neufeld
Class of 2008 (first class)
President
Student Government Association
Touro-NV

[email protected]
another great post Nate!

Nathan, given the importance of research in regards to residency programs, I would appreciate it if you could inform me as to what kind of research opportunities the school provides for the students. Also someone mentioned that the “library was a joke” on interview feedback, is there any truth to this?

Nathan,

Good luck to you and your class. It's nice to have another DO school in the region.

frank51 said:
Nathan, given the importance of research in regards to residency programs, I would appreciate it if you could inform me as to what kind of research opportunities the school provides for the students. Also someone mentioned that the “library was a joke” on interview feedback, is there any truth to this?

Research:
i'm published and therefore have some basis of understanding with regards to research process. we are a new school and research is something that is a long term investment and process. therefore, we are on the beginning edge of any possible research.

there are two opportunities that i know of now but here is lots of talk and desire to have a ton of research opportunities established with in the next few years.

SOMA (student osteopathic Medical Association) has been working with our faculty to begin research here. i don't know all the details because this news came out the week before exam block, but it sounds promising.

we also being the only medical school in Las Vegas have great ties and relationships with UNLV. we have various faculty on staff that did doctoral work at UNLV and have connections to begin research fellowships. as well, we have numerous professors who do a lot of research teaching adjunct. Therefore, if there are students with a desire there is opportunity.

most of the delay in getting research started is that we are all first year medical students, our priority is class work.

Library:
we do have a virtual library...the only one in the country at any level of academics. it works fine...we have access to all the journals and books via web databases. i have never found it to be lacking in my needs. another perk is that this virtual library is accessible 24/7 since we can access it from home...an added benefit over traditional libraries. those are my thoughts...however, this may not be familiar to everyone...it is definitely adequate.

i hope that gives some insight...

Nathan Neufeld
Class of 2008
President
SGA
Touro-NV

donvicious said:
Nathan,

Good luck to you and your class. It's nice to have another DO school in the region.

Thanks, it is great to be apart of the team...blessings and good luck you as well....

Nate

Nathan, thanks a lot for the information.

thanks for all the great information...
one more question: since TUNV is basically still developing and refining their program does the administration and faculty seek out suggestions from the students? and how responsive are the?

hopefully once exams are over i can get back finishing secondaries.

pem8erly said:
thanks for all the great information...
one more question: since TUNV is basically still developing and refining their program does the administration and faculty seek out suggestions from the students? and how responsive are the?

hopefully once exams are over i can get back finishing secondaries.

a very perceptive question you hit it right on the head... obviously, it would be silly to go to a new school where change is not accepted or where suggestion is not encouraged. And this i believe is one of Touro's strongest suits.

as the student body president i interact with the administration about every other day. from these frequent experiences i have developed a great trust and respect for our experienced and humble administrators. they are always asking me what the students think about this or about that...and we give them our feed back. as soon as this is done things happen and they really respond to what the needs of the students are; example, we are right now working at building a student lounge...because the administration had an unused space and let us decide what to do with it and it'll be done. of course, these channels of communication are still being developed and refined, but they are very open to student opinion and deliberation.

i hope this helps...

Nate
Class of 2008
President
SGA
TUN-COM
do08