1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Touro - Nevada!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by lateapp, Apr 23, 2007.

1. lateapp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey I am new to this. I have an interview tomorrow (Apr24th) down in Henderson. Anyone have any advice for me? Are there still any seats even open?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hanky1982

hanky1982 Irish eyes are smiling
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I interviewed there in early March, I got an acceptance and I will be attending the school in August. The only advice that I can give you is to simply stay relaxed and calm. The interview process was most relaxed compared to other schools, but you may have a lot riding on this interview given that it is so late in the process. Roger Corbman is the director of admissions and he did a great job in getting everyone to relax and be themselves.

The students really seemed to love the school and I would advise asking them as many questions as possible. All in all, be yourself, remember to ask the interviewers questions and try to enjoy the day as much as possible.

goodluck

4. How much does this school cost for tuition and living expenses?

5. hanky1982

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    $35,000 for tuition
    $5,000 books and supplies
    and I think they approximated $30,000 for living expenses, travel, etc.

6. Thanks for the info.

7. StringerBell

StringerBell It's the final countdown!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's what they quoted...but that includes A LOT of wiggle room.

1. Something like $4000 in a student's individual budget is for a laptop. It is unlikely you'll be spending that much, and even if you do, you only spend it in your first year.

2. A lot of it (~$5,000?) is budgeted for travel expenses. If you own a car (i.e., you aren't making payments on one) then it will probably be much less. If most of your travel money is spent on gas and car insurance instead of car payments and flights home, it shouldn't be anywhere near this figure.

3. A nice 1-bedroom close to campus will be about $800, and 2 bedrooms is around $1000, so if you can find that and split it down the middle with a roommie, that would be very beneficial to you.

4. The tuition at Western is about $5000 more. Finding a decent place to live is around 50% more expensive. (~$1000 for a studio, $1200 for a one bedroom). Yet, the annual budget at Western is quoted at right around $60,000, some $10,000 less than the annual student budget at Touro. This leads me to believe that you can live on less, definitely. Maybe they pad the budget so the students can have a little recreational money to spend on the strip. ;)

8. hanky1982

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You may be off a little on your costs

The $5000 is for not only the laptop but also supplies and books, I am looking at their expenses right now and this is how touro nevada broke it down:

Tuition/ Fees $35,690
    Books/Supplies/Laptop/Medical Equipment $5,762
    Room/Board $17,830
    Personal $4,081
    Transportation $5,550

Total: $68,913

9. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry, did that from memory.
    Still, though, with living at Western being so much more expensive, and their tuition being higher, I'm still fairly sure that $69K is a little overboard. I keep hearing from financial aid presentations that you don't need to borrow everything that you're offered.

I forget where I read it, but it was on some school's financial aid page... you can live like a student now, or live like one later (i.e., while you're paying back loans.)

10. pks3211

pks3211 New Member
    5+ Year Member

damn.... got waitlisted!!! So sad.....:(

11. The Kahuna

The Kahuna Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Who's gonna bug Roger for an update??

12. Monkeymee

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ...and he was really nice about it.

He said that they just finished interviews and have 175 people on the waitlist as of now (they are meeting once more to go over the last 30 interviewees). The second deposit is due on May 15th, so about 10-15 spots (roughly) should be opening up soon. :) Then, they'll rank the waitlist and start moving down it offering positions as they come. (I am on said waitlist, so I'm hoping for some dropouts!)

Also, he gave me the wait list average stats. Feel free to PM me if you'd like 'em or anything else!

Goodluck and Godspeed to us all!!:luck:

13. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't feel very good about this 175 person waitlist for a class of 134. I like to think I'm pretty competitive, but that's certainly a lot of people. It's so hard for me to judge myself since I have a significantly low GPA and a pretty high MCAT score, all things considered. I hope, when all is said and done, that the number of spots opening up will be more like 30 than 15. That seems like more of a fighting chance. :)

14. Steiner

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll be withdrawing my spot as soon as I have confirmation that my deposit for the other acceptance I have goes through. Good Luck to everyone.

15. lateapp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I also got waitlisted. He told me that there are now 190 people on the waiting list and that over the next couple of months he expects approximatly 30 spots to open up (as compaired to last years 35). He also said that I should be in the top 1/3 of the waitlist. So whatever that means. He said that once they rank the waitlist, you can call him and he will give you a better idea where you stand.

I am hoping that being in the top 1/3 to have atleast 30 spots open up and have at least 30 people in the waitlist commit to another school. What do you think the chances are of that?

16. broke858

broke858 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Roger told me that there are 190 people currently on the waitlist and it will not be ranked until around May 20th after all interviews are completed. He also gave me the average stats of those on the waitlist which are the followings.

MCAT score - 25
    Average Science GPA 3.1
    Average Overall GPA 3.25
    Average Science Hours 65

17. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's funny how a little bit of information can change your viewpoints on everything. When I saw "190 or so" as the number of waitlisters, I was afraid that I had no shot. Seeing these numbers makes me feel like I have a fighting chance.

The emotional rollercoaster as a result of every tidbit of information needs to end soon, though! :)

18. hanky1982

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Stringer~

is touro-nv your first choice?

19. The Kahuna

The Kahuna Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I take it we will know exactly where we stand come May 20th?

20. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And if we are absoutely ranked after May 20th, will they actually let us know?

(A single-digit number would be nice.) ;)

21. The Kahuna

The Kahuna Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I say on May 20th we barrage them with phone calls:thumbup:

Yes, single digitis would be quite lovely for me too.

22. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I believe the 20th is a Sunday, though.

Why don't you call on the 21st and let me know - I have a final on that day. :)

23. aleksap

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Seeing as I am just slightly above the waitlist average, I have one BIG question.

I know in August they will give us consideration for the following year; does that mean we are not supposed to apply again this coming June? I'm assuming this is what that means, but I would like to know since June is earlier than August and perhaps applying so early would benefit me.

Since they waitlisted so many, I can't imagine that I have a very good chance of being accepted into the following year! The middle of the waitlist is probably the "low" of the people that are actually accepted.

24. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just as an addendum:
    If anyone out there would like to trade some MCAT points for GPA points, I'd gladly trade 1 MCAT point for 0.1 GPA points. I figure I can spare about 4 of 'em. Any takers? :) That would put me at 3.3 science, 3.5 overall, and 30 MCAT.

25. hanky1982

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I will be going there in august, and if I remember there will be a small list that will be "bumped' to the next year. I am not 100% about this, but I remember something along these lines. I would say your best is to call the school and ask them. Again, I remember something along these lines with a bump to high weight-listed kids, but I am not completely certain.

26. Steiner

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What I remember is that they bring a couple of kids beyond the class size just in case someone leaves after classes have started. If no one leaves, the students are removed from that year's class but offered deferred enrollment to the following year's class, so you don't need to apply the following year.

27. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ditto this remark. However, I also remember Roger Corbman saying that his number of prospective students was only 3, and are of course the highest remaining 3 people on the waitlist who were not eventually offered spots. So if you don't think you're going to be one of those 3, I would highly suggest applying again in June. And, who knows, it might just be a good way to show continued interest.

As a side-note...if the waitlist truly becomes "ranked" after May 20th (or 21st), will they let us know, then, where on the waitlist we stand?

28. lateapp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Its true that there are three alternates that go to sit in on the first day and if they are not put in than they get automatically accepted to next years class. But, anyone that is still on the waitlist (meaning they haven't been accepted or rejected by August) will get a review and then they send out early admissions. Roger Corbman told me that last year they sent out 15 early admission from the waitlist in August. So even if we don't get in, as long as we haven't been rejected they will review our app without us even having to reapply. That being said it wouldn't hurt to keep in contact with Mr. Corbman.

29. lateapp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Also he told me that after May 20th he can tell us approximatly where we sit on the waitlist, but that he can only get as specific as "top third," "bottom third" or "middle third." For legalities he can not be any more specific. Hopefully we all get a phone call on the 21st asking us if we are still interested so we won't have to worry about our rankings, right? As long as we are in the top third I think we have a decent chance of getting in (statistically speaking).

30. The Kahuna

The Kahuna Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I will definitely be giving Mr. Corbman a call on the 21st.

31. spongee

Pre-Medical
    wondering...whan do you guys think is a good time to send that letter of intent?

32. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've already sent mine. Hopefully it will make a difference. I guess I have a week or two before I find out!

33. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I e-mailed Roger this morning and received notice that I am "top-third" on the waitlist. That's good news for me!

(Oh, and, uhm, "Bump!")

34. keithengineer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got the same news today. I send a letter of intent to the school. He told me that at this point, that is all we can do, send a 1 page(no more!) about why we think we fit for the school.

I am a Top third as well. He also emailed me and said that last year they too 34, and have no way of knowing for this year. So last year they took the "top" 18%, and that's "half" of the top third. So, wow. That's still unknowing. And of course, could be anywhere from now to Aug 2nd.

35. hanky1982

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good luck to you guys, I hope you can all be pulled off the WL.

Try to stay positive and patient, I know it can be a difficult and stressful time

36. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well...not that this matters, but...
    Top 1/3rd out of 190 is approximately 64.
    If you're in the "top half" of the that group, that would put you at #32.
    So I'm going to say that being in the top 1/3rd gives you a "50/50" shot at getting in, roughly, based on last year's numbers (but, as you said, that might not mean anything.)

Still, though...isn't a "Roughly 50/50 shot" better than what we can expect in the Admissions process for the most part, anyway? :)

37. keithengineer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    *laugh* I was fixing my post as you figured that out, nice! Anyway, I agree with you. Better than nothing. And this year I finally got waitlisted, in the past I did not. So, I'm moving forward.

38. TDizzle

TDizzle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

#37 TDizzle, May 21, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  39. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think, as premeds, we try to figure it all out and put it together. It's our natural reaction. :)

40. hanky1982

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sounds like the people on the high WL have a decent if not fairly good chance of being pulled off the "dreaded" list

41. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Really just conjecture on our part, though, with a little rudimentary math mixed in for good measure. :) And all done in the hopes of making ourselves feel better! ;)

42. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After finding out this morning that I am in the top 1/3rd of the waitlist...
    I just found out now that I HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED!!!!!

I am beyond ecstatic!

43. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :hardy: :banana:

44. rwilky63

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congratz!!!!!!! How did you hear? email, snail?:luck:

45. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Found out just this morning, via e-mail, that I was top 1/3rd on the waitlist.

Went to go to take a final exam, and when I got home, I had a voicemail waiting from Roger Corbman. The moment he announced who he was, I knew what it was about and got really, really excited!

46. spongee

Pre-Medical

CONGRATS!!! U lucky dawg!

47. rwilky63

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thats so cool. Did he give you any info on how many they had excepted or anything else?

48. StringerBell

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't have any numbers. Someone else mentioned that Roger Corbman said that offers will be made by the end of the week. As for what he specifically told me, all he said was that "an opening had become available" and that the committee "voted" to offer me an acceptance.

I don't know if that committee vote was specific for making offers, or just the general waitlist ranking that everyone's been mentioning (the three tiers) that was to occur by today. Sorry I don't have more information for you. But all signs indicate waitlist movement is happening right now, and will continue to happen.

And...if you'll allow me a little bit of celebration time...DANCING BANANAS!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

49. pks3211

pks3211 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Congrats!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hope I will get in too....:confused:

50. rwilky63

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dance dance. Roger told me I was top 1/3rd so here's hoping I see you at school in a couple of months

51. hanky1982

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats stinger....:banana: :banana: :banana:

and good luck to all of you still waiting