Touro: New Mexico Expansion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well folks, 100 new students will be added to Touro School of Dental Medicine that will have clinic in New Mexico. This is essentially yet another new dental school. While this will surely be a resource to the people of New Mexico, won’t this do damage to dentistry by pumping out another 100 new dentists? What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Well folks, 100 new students will be added to Touro School of Dental Medicine that will have clinic in New Mexico. This is essentially yet another new dental school. While this will surely be a resource to the people of New Mexico, won’t this do damage to dentistry by pumping out another 100 new dentists? What are your thoughts?
Until dentists start working in the areas they are needed like, New Mexico, more dentists will graduate every year and mid-level providers will continue to creep.

Reactions: 3 users
I honestly don't think it will damage the profession. If a bunch of brand new dentists outperform you, then it's time to up your game. Patients are pretty loyal for the most part. If they like you, typically they will stay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pro: hopefully graduates will practice in New Mexico and increase access to care.

Con: there will be a % of OOS graduates that will head back to their home states that have dental schools already (I.e. Texas, etc) and will increase the competition there.

Con #2: high tuition will add to the whole debt-heavy graduate argument and the limitations of your future in dentistry.

As the years have gone on, my thoughts would be to somehow establish rural/underserved areas where those that graduate with high debt could practice and have some loan forgiveness tied to it. Practice on a five year contact, get your six-figure debt reduced each year without deducting it from your paycheck. I probably just described an FQHC essentially.