Touro NY class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naseuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received this in my email for Touro NY if anyone is interested.

To be a student in the Touro College of Pharmacy for 2008-2009, the student must meet the following requirements.

· Have a bachelors degree and/or 120 semester hours of college credit. Students with a minimum of 90+ semester hours will also be evaluated.

· Minimum overall grade point average of 2.75

· PCAT scores no older than two years ago

The pre-pharmacy courses for students entering the Fall of 2008 are listed below with credit hours given in terms of semester hours, sh. Students who complete these course requirements with grade of C or better will be given priority for admission.

· General inorganic chemistry with lab: 8 sh

· Organic chemistry with lab: 8 sh

· Biochemistry, highly recommended: 3 sh

· Biology with lab: 8 sh

· Human anatomy with lab: 4 sh*

· Physiology with lab: 4 sh*

· Microbiology with lab: 4 sh

· Calculus: 4 sh

· Statistics, with biostatistics preferred: 4 sh

· Microeconomics: 4 sh

* Combined anatomy/physiology courses will be evaluated for fulfilling this requirement.

International students must have foreign transcripts evaluated on a course-by-course basis through an independent agency such as WES, Josef Silny, or ECE.

If you feel that you have these qualifications, please reply to this e-mail for an electronic application.

Thank you for your continued interest in the Touro College of Pharmacy.
Dr. Lois Garland-Patterson
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Touro College of Pharmacy
2090 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard
5th Floor
New York, NY 10027

Members don't see this ad.

I e-mailed Touro today and I just got an e-mail saying that more information would be available on the website soon.
When you e-mailed them what did you ask in order to get this response?

Ooooo. That's exciting I've been emailing that school for the past year and i've been waiting for that news. Even though it's a new school, I'm applying. I hope they have the 2+2 program like they do at Touro in Vallejo. Do you know if they are taking applications through Pharmcas?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's strange that they are taking applications for Fall 2008 at this time of the year. It's impossible to get anyone on the phone

I e-mailed Touro today and I just got an e-mail saying that more information would be available on the website soon.
When you e-mailed them what did you ask in order to get this response?

I just emailed them requesting more information and got that reply.

And to CHARMO, they are taking applications at this time because they just got their pre-candidate status approved.

So I e-mailed them as well and got the same e-mail. And I didn't realize that they are looking to start a class for Fall 2008. I thought it would be for fall 2009.

Is anyone planning to apply for Fall 2008?

So I e-mailed them as well and got the same e-mail. And I didn't realize that they are looking to start a class for Fall 2008. I thought it would be for fall 2009.

Is anyone planning to apply for Fall 2008?

Yeah, i thought it was for fall 09 as well. I don't even know how they can get this all done by august/september. It's too much of a rush for me, maybe next year.

Probably no interviews or any of that garbage necessary for 2008. Unfortunately, you need a bachelor's degree, so 2008 is out of the question for me.

It says bachelor's and/or 120 college units, if you have 120 college units and no bachelors it's worth a try if you want to go there.

Probably no interviews or any of that garbage necessary for 2008. Unfortunately, you need a bachelor's degree, so 2008 is out of the question for me.

You don't need a bachelor's degree - so 2008 is not out of the question for you. They do have some pretty heavy science prerequisites that need to be met though. If you filled those requirements, you're good to go!

i also requested some info but I didn't pay attention that they were still accepting for 2008. Why do they require PCAT isn't it the same Touro as in Cali. Rushing into something like this is scary.

Members don't see this ad :)
i also requested some info but I didn't pay attention that they were still accepting for 2008. Why do they require PCAT isn't it the same Touro as in Cali. Rushing into something like this is scary.

I think they are requiring PCAT because most other schools in New York do. And in California none of the schools do. I think they try to work with what the other schools require so that people who are applying from instate can meet the requirements of several schools. But, you'd think they'd give people a break since it's so last minute!

Well, since its Saturday there's nothing I can do. I wish that schools had call centers for admissions to take phone calls 24/7.

Honestly, if I talk to them and find out that I can still get in some odd way, I'd drop all my courses at LIU and run there.

what if you have a bachelors degree and are missing most of the sciences classes :laugh:

what if you have a bachelors degree and are missing most of the sciences classes :laugh:

It says the students that have completed the classes will be given priority, and it says biochem is highly reccommended. So perhaps you can apply without having them and see what happens. No harm in trying.

my advisor told me to apply to this school last year...i had emailed them and i got a response saying that they are still trying to get accredited and approved by the national board and that i should email them sometime later. i was a little bummed but i am glad to hear that they are accepting applications for the fall 08 semester. since its a new school, it should be fairly easy to get into as long as you meet all the requirements. there probably isnt going to be a lot of competition since many students don't even know that it exists and a lot of people are also not willing to take the risk of applying at a new school...good luck to those who are applying. i hope you all get in...

I'm interested in applying for fall 2009 so I wanted to ask so I know for next year, for those that are interested in 2008: they require 3 letters of recommendation. At least one from a health care professional. Also they will be doing interviews! Everything is due but august 31st. So only 1 month. Decisions will be made by September 6th, School will start in October. And they are only taking 40 as opposed to 60. The PCAT score can be no older than jan 2008, but they will accept scores as late as june 2008. Seems they are requiring more then we initially thought, and with a very small time frame.

Actually the PCAT can not be more than 2yrs old

I have 101 credits.

His email also states......

Students with a minimum of 90+ semester hours will also be evaluated.

The only failure is those who don't try! Give it a try you never know it just may be your lucky day! :)

Yes, Touro will evaluate students with 90+ credits.

So, Sparda should definitely go for it - LOTS OF LUCK!:)

Well, they sent me the application. I'm definitely gonna go for it. Everything for PharmCAS or Med School is being put on hold until I get a decision from Touro.

By the way, for people wanting to know about how Touro is gonna manage all of this with so little time left.

There will be interviews. The application deadline is August 31, 2008. There will be interviews once you submit your application. They choose the students on September 6, 2008.

First day of classes is actually in the beginning of October.

i have 79 credits at the moment, and i still need to take orgo chemistry 1 and 2....
apart from that, my college doesn't offer courses in anatomy, or physiology, what should i do for that?
I've been working at a pharmacy for the last 2-3 months, as a paid employee....Currently I'm working over the counter, but my work does come in contact with patients... like taking their prescriptions, asking if they have any allergies, also handing over their medications...stuff like that...would this experience be a plus point to my application???
my pharmacists told me that he will let me work behind the counter as a pharmacy tech after a month or so....
please let me know what is the science requirements for this school? and is anatomy and physiology really important to take? i would love to attend this school, as my cousin is also going there for the school of medicine....

did u guys gather the transcript yet?? if so, is it SIGNED and SEALED on the back?? my school wont sign it....the signature is inside the sealed envelope. will Touro still accept it if its not signed? or neither ?

Well, they sent me the application. I'm definitely gonna go for it. Everything for PharmCAS or Med School is being put on hold until I get a decision from Touro.

By the way, for people wanting to know about how Touro is gonna manage all of this with so little time left.

There will be interviews. The application deadline is August 31, 2008. There will be interviews once you submit your application. They choose the students on September 6, 2008.

First day of classes is actually in the beginning of October.

YEAH Sparda, I'm glad you decided to go for it :D Keep us posted on how it works out for you because I know you want this really bad! Good luck!

my advisor told me to apply to this school last year...i had emailed them and i got a response saying that they are still trying to get accredited and approved by the national board and that i should email them sometime later. i was a little bummed but i am glad to hear that they are accepting applications for the fall 08 semester. since its a new school, it should be fairly easy to get into as long as you meet all the requirements. there probably isnt going to be a lot of competition since many students don't even know that it exists and a lot of people are also not willing to take the risk of applying at a new school...good luck to those who are applying. i hope you all get in...

Fairly easy???? I doubt it. Even though they are asking for applications so late I think many pple will still apply. I called there and spoke to the administrative assistant and she said she has sent out over 200 applications. Their application dateline is August 31st so I'm sure more pple will be requesting applications. And remember that there are only 40 seats available.

Fairly easy???? I doubt it. Even though they are asking for applications so late I think many pple will still apply. I called there and spoke to the administrative assistant and she said she has sent out over 200 applications. Their application dateline is August 31st so I'm sure more pple will be requesting applications. And remember that there are only 40 seats available.

Yes, but there are probably many people who requested the application but will not submit it for various reasons (like myself, who will not have all science prerequisites met.)
If you're serious about attending, you should apply ASAP, as admissions for this year will probably be similar to the rolling admissions process.
In this way, I'm sure you'll have a very good chance at Touro considering the fact that there are a few downsides such as it being a new program in Harlem. Harlem has come a long way, but it still has a way to go before being considered relatively safe.

Does anyone know how this will work out for those applicants who are still waiting to take the August PCAT? I am in that situation. Wondering if I should still apply.

The main deterrent to this school is Biochemistry, however they have said that they are willing to waive this requirement.

Hi Sparda! How do you know they will waive it? did you talk to someone ? will they only waive this class or others??
thanks!

Does anyone know how this will work out for those applicants who are still waiting to take the August PCAT? I am in that situation. Wondering if I should still apply.

Then you cannot apply. You need a PCAT score, at latest June 2008 (for this year only).

Last edited:
I emailed the school about accepting the Aug 23 2008 PCAT for the 2008 entering class. They emailed me back stating that "The latest scores we will accept for admission to the class entering in 2008 is 23 August 2008."
I will definitely give it a shot, who knows. I have a Bachelors degree in Business with a 3.56 GPA, all the prerequisites except Biochemistry which is 'only' prefered, some volunteer work (meals on wheels since March of this year, although I don't know if about 14 hours is good enough :scared:). I am also trying to get a volunteer position at a hospital. I know my stats aren't stellar, but I'll take my chances.

I emailed the school about accepting the Aug 23 2008 PCAT for the 2008 entering class. They emailed me back stating that "The latest scores we will accept for admission to the class entering in 2008 is 23 August 2008."
I will definitely give it a shot, who knows. I have a Bachelors degree in Business with a 3.56 GPA, all the prerequisites except Biochemistry which is 'only' prefered, some volunteer work (meals on wheels since March of this year, although I don't know if about 14 hours is good enough :scared:). I am also trying to get a volunteer position at a hospital. I know my stats aren't stellar, but I'll take my chances.

They won't even receive those scores until mid october, AFTER school starts. This is sounding like a total slap job. There is basically no requirements because it seems everyone is missing "requirements" but they don't care. I think they are just trying to get as many application fees as possible :laugh: You have good stats! I don't see why you're worried. Honestly if i were you i would apply for next fall to a couple different schools. You will then have experience and I think you could get into an already well established school. If you're in a hurry, apply to a 3 year program.

Hey thanks for the information, I am a long-time lurker and usually do not post, but this is very useful information. I have been chasing this dream for about 2 years now and Touro in NY might be my answer.

same here

Last edited:
has anyone sent their application.....how do u guyz feel about the area in terms of safety?

I'm probably going to send out my application later today.(Post office closes at 7.)

As for the area, it is not as bad as it once was. That can be said for all of NYC. Harlem has really cleaned up as a neighborhood and there are much worse areas. Ever since Bill Clinton came in, it has been getting better.

LIU has a much worse neighborhood(Downtown Brooklyn) than Touro.

Besides that, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be purchasing a handgun regardless of where I'm going to school.

The only problem with Touro for me is that it is further away from my house than LIU. Driving to Touro would be a lot harder. I'll probably have to invest in a motorcycle for Touro.

I don't know why they cannot open a pharmacy school in Nassau or Suffolk County.

Just came across this thread and the school...

I have 91 hours of course work completed. However, I am missing Biochemistry, which is not a big blow since it is only recommended. I do meet all of the prereqs except for Anatomy and Physiology. I have taken A&P I, but not A&P II.

Do you think there is any chance they would excuse A&P II given their attempt to quickly put together an inaugural class rather quickly and their potential small applicant pool?

probably not....b/c anatomy and physiology(1 whole year) is a requirement....

theyll only waive biochem at this point........

Last edited:
Their website has been updated

does everyone have their pre-reqs completed? Anyone gotten interviews?

does everyone have their pre-reqs completed? Anyone gotten interviews?

just got an interview august 14 2008 9am......:cool:

I think its short notice but I'm going for it....

Last edited: