Touro NY class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As of 6:22PM tonight, I was invited to join the inaugural class. Booyah! :banana::banana::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::boom:

Yeah, but now to figure out the logistics of getting there every morning at 8AM from Long Island, whether or not to get an apartment in the city, whether or not the buy a motorcycle.

Some people have told me it would be an epic douchebaggery move for me to reject this.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sparda:).

Members don't see this ad.

i hope we get this email soon cuz i have no idea how to send the $1500 deposit. I hope im not the only one...

I think you would have to call them to find out how to make the payment. I spoke to Reeshemah Brightley about this. She said if making a payment by credit card, you have to send them an email requesting the form for credit card payment before they can email it to you. Checks or money orders should be mailed. I would call to find out instead of just waiting. There's no time to waste.

Yup yup, I took one full year of the "science" or "pre-health" physics and have 2 quarter worth of credits for engineering physics in Mechanics and Electricity. I'm not sure what was needed.

As for the motorcycle, the city doesn't seem that bad. And you won't die if you get a ride it (from the NYC I've seen from my interview its all traffic congestion). My only concern with it is (if NY is anything like California) is that the thief rate is pretty high and I hated riding in the rain. And commuting to school wasn't so fun either since it cut down your study time.

Btw, I be in NY on the 14th if anyone wanna meets to up.
Hopefully I see everyone on the 22nd.

Random question, is there any good crawfish places in NY?

you can't really depend on driving a motorcycle everyday to class because the weather in NYC is variable by season.. Your better off getting an Apt not too far from the school. The best way to get around Manhattan is the subways unless your commuting not during rush hour

Members don't see this ad :)
for the people that got in did you have to take physics one and 2 ???

I took one year of physics with lab for health science majors. Physics was not required this time. According to their website, for next year, Physics with lab is preferred but optional.

As of 6:22PM tonight, I was invited to join the inaugural class. Booyah! :banana::banana::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::boom:

Yeah, but now to figure out the logistics of getting there every morning at 8AM from Long Island, whether or not to get an apartment in the city, whether or not the buy a motorcycle.

Some people have told me it would be an epic douchebaggery move for me to reject this.

Congrats, it seemed like an interesting process for you

Sparda, you need to go to Touro. No question, no matter what you need to do. I think take Long Island Railroad very early in the morning. If you really want this, you need to sacrifice whatever it takes.

Good luck!! and Congratulations!!

Sparda, you need to go to Touro. No question, no matter what you need to do. I think take Long Island Railroad very early in the morning. If you really want this, you need to sacrifice whatever it takes.

Good luck!! and Congratulations!!

I agree - Long Island Railroad is the best bet. No aggravation and much less dangerous than riding a motorcycle from Long Island to NYC.
I've lived in New York City my entire life, and would disagree with AsianMonk - the city is THAT BAD for motorcyclists and bicyclists. Aggressive automobile drivers and road rage lead to many accidents, especially in Manhattan. New Yorkers know that public transportation is the way to go (bicycle riding is best for exercise, not transportation - safer in the parks.) Motorcyclists in the city are thrill seekers/dare devils - they are aware of the high risk level and get a rush out of it. Save the helmet until after your get your pharmD:rolleyes:

I was going to go the the post office to post my deposit but decided to pay using my debit card instead. Someone mentioned that you could call the school and have a form emailed to you if you wanted to do your payment by phone. The problem is, the phones are always busy. Does anyone know the address we mail the deposit to?

What address did everyone use to post their deposit??

a little late but.... Congrats to everyone who got in!

Regarding the $1500 deposit, I mailed my check on Monday to the same address where I sent my application. I HOPE that was the right place...

Also on another note, has anyone used www.RDNY.com to look for a place?

I got on the alternative list now im waiting for a reply

I was going to go the the post office to post my deposit but decided to pay using my debit card instead. Someone mentioned that you could call the school and have a form emailed to you if you wanted to do your payment by phone. The problem is, the phones are always busy. Does anyone know the address we mail the deposit to?

I mentioned that you have to send them an email requesting for the form before they can email it to you. You then have to fill it out and fax it to them.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Hey,

I am also on the alternate list.

I am still hoping and praying to hear from them that I got off the alternate list. I know it said we would hear by Monday but you never know... I guess....

Do you think we have a chance of getting pulled off the alternate list?

Good luck.

what were your grades and stats if you mind sharing that you got put on alternate list.. thanks and goodluck:thumbup:

Hi,
Congrats on you guys acceptance to Touro College of Pharmacy. I got in also!
See you guys soon!!:)

I'm sorry to be so annoying but Can the people who got in either pm me their stats or make a list.. I just want to see the average of what Touro expects its incoming students to have... Thanks and good luck with your pharmd education

Any of you accepted hot asian girls? I am looking for somebody to pimp :thumbup:

Hey,

I am also on the alternate list.

I am still hoping and praying to hear from them that I got off the alternate list. I know it said we would hear by Monday but you never know... I guess....

Do you think we have a chance of getting pulled off the alternate list?

Good luck.

Given that friday is the dateline for deposits to be made, more seats might become available incase not everyone who got admission is able to pay their deposit.

a little late but.... Congrats to everyone who got in!

Regarding the $1500 deposit, I mailed my check on Monday to the same address where I sent my application. I HOPE that was the right place...

Also on another note, has anyone used www.RDNY.com to look for a place?

I've never heard of it but thanks. Given that we have very limited time to find housing, I'm sure the website can help.

Any of you accepted hot asian girls? I am looking for somebody to pimp :thumbup:

Why not consider selling yourself , if you're HOT ENOUGH! New York City is very open, liberal, anything goes environment. Boy toys are always welcome! :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be so annoying but Can the people who got in either pm me their stats or make a list.. I just want to see the average of what Touro expects its incoming students to have... Thanks and good luck with your pharmd education

Well, this year's stats aren't going to be helpful for next year.

Next year, you definitely need a bachelor's degree, and you definitely need Biochemistry. I didn't have either one, but they were waived for this year alone since we only had like less than 2 months to get our stuff together.

But yeah, I have a 3.1 GPA, 73 Composite PCAT, 2+ Years of Pharm Experience, and an upward swing in my grades.

have any of you guys found a good cheap place to stay for a few nights? I just need to be there to take care of my apartment and the rates are outrageous!

try using orbitz.com

they tend to have some pretty fair rates.

I found a place to live . So I'm putting down some current contacts that I had,for those of you that are still looking for places to live:

140th Street at Frederick Douglass
646 912 1585
550.00 per unfurnished room . 2 roommates needed

624 West 207th Street
[email protected]
3 bdrm apt. no crd chk or fees
1495/mo

709 Saint Ouen St, Bronx, NY 10470
off E 241 st and Bronx river pkwy
939-579-2029
1500.00/Mo 3bdrm/3bath w/ 2 car garage no crchk

2054 Madison Avenue at 129th
550.00/Mo
roommate situation(share)

37 Seabury Court
bedroom / 2 fullbath W/ GARAGE
Masterbedroom with masterbath and 2 walk-in closets
Reina at 646-407-0918
1600/mo

2 bdrm/2bath
187 at Cabrini Blvd.
646-675-2549

W 190th St
New York, NY 10040
3 private rooms, kitchen, bathroom and a living room.2 females currently & looking for 1 more.The room is furnished, queen bed..2 dressers,mirror, and closet
call Jocey 9174050437

Websites:
www.rapidnyc.com
www.zerofeesnyc.com
www.craigslist.org
www.apartments.com
www.rdny.com

Hope this helps a few of you guys!!!

Lonk for Facebook group page for Touro College of Pharmacy 2012':
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27642367615

Pharmacy Class Thread on StudentDoctor.net:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=561656

Me (Uyen Le) and Travis Pham are thinking about getting an apartment near school and we're looking for 1-2 people to share the apartment with us. Here are some information regarding the apartment.

• 2 Bed, 2 Bathroom apartment
  • 1 master bedroom is HUGE and comes with a private bathroom (two pill cabinets... one regular over the sink and the other is full size.) - two people can share the master bedroom or one person can have thewhole room to themselves.
  • The second room is moderate.
  • There's a detached bathroom.
  • Living room is HUGE and we're thinking about making half of it into a separate bedroom, aka, the den.
  • There's a separate dinning room
  • Located on the fourth floor
  • Basic amenities such as stainless steel refrigerator, washing machine, oven, and microwave.
  • Hardwood floors
  • Each room has its own heating and cooling units except for the third room.
  • A lot of closet space
  • Walls are thick to a reasonable standard and not lacking insulation
  • Non-furnished, but we can chip in and buy furniture like sofa, tv, tables, and etc...
  • The two separate rooms will share the detached bathroom
  • If two people share the master bedroom, then they'll share the master bathroom
External Figures

• There's a doorman!
  • Washer and Dryer and located in the hallway (next to the trash shoot)
  • The building has a gym on the third floor and patio on the rooftop.
Priced at 3350 (we'll see if we can talk that price down a bit)

We're not sure about the pricing at the moment, but we're thinking that the master bedroom will cost the most (but the price can be split between two people), the bedroom will be cheaper, and the den will be the cheapest. Once we get everyone together we'll discuss the rent and the rules of the house.

If you have any questions please don't hesistate to contact me ([email protected]) or Travis ([email protected]).

Looking forward to seeing all of you next Monday!!!

Actually, the LIRR method turned out to be the best way. It's a nice comfortable sleep to Penn Station. Just toss your bags on the seats around you and no one will sit next to you.

The A train from Penn Station/34th St to 125th St is about a 10-13 minute ride since the only stops between are 42nd and 59th St.

My parents aren't going to allow a motorcycle because I tend to speed and drive aggressively...a LOT, as most of you already know from when I got 3 speeding tickets within 3 hours in 3 different states. I mean, I'm getting 13 miles per gallon on my Honda Accord. Other than that, a crotch rocket can get pretty uncomfortable with all the potholes in NYC.

Actually, the LIRR method turned out to be the best way. It's a nice comfortable sleep to Penn Station. Just toss your bags on the seats around you and no one will sit next to you.

The A train from Penn Station/34th St to 125th St is about a 10-13 minute ride since the only stops between are 42nd and 59th St.

My parents aren't going to allow a motorcycle because I tend to speed and drive aggressively...a LOT, as most of you already know from when I got 3 speeding tickets within 3 hours in 3 different states. I mean, I'm getting 13 miles per gallon on my Honda Accord. Other than that, a crotch rocket can get pretty uncomfortable with all the potholes in NYC.

How long does your commute to school take?

For all those got into Touro NY
Can you post your STATs thanks

and does Touro require a supplemental
I can't find it nowhere:confused:
Thanks
:luck::love::luck:

3.14 Overall GPA
2.9 Math/Science
73 Composite PCAT with 80+ in Bio/Chem
2 Years Pharm Experience
PTCB Certified
First-Aid Certified

I'm not sure about the supplemental. The application for Class of 2012 was not on PharmCAS. You should call up Touro for info on the supplemental.

3.14 Overall GPA
2.9 Math/Science
2 Years Pharm Experience
PTCB Certified
First-Aid Certified

I'm not sure about the supplemental. The application for Class of 2012 was not on PharmCAS. You should call up Touro for info on the supplemental.
since u seem like a knowlegable person, i got few questions for u,

my GPA is bit better then yours.(3.3 overall, 3.3 pre-req, 2.9 science/math)
I bombed my August PCAT due to sickness and first try.
4 month pharm tech exp
5 month research exp
First Aid/CPR certified.
Will get Bachlers in Bio in May 09.
120+ credits. Does have Bio Chem.
I am taking PCAT on saturday. I am confident that I will do well in Bio,Chem, Math. Not so much in Verbal and reading due to English being second language.

I haven't applied in yet b.c i still haven't gotten familiar w/ the system.
Should I apply ASAP for 2009-2010 class? Will they be cool if I send the PCAT scores later on?

Thanks in advance.

3.14 Overall GPA
2.9 Math/Science
2 Years Pharm Experience
PTCB Certified
First-Aid Certified

Thank you Sparda29!
Do you have a degree?
How do you like Touro so far?
And, are they well prepared?

Thanks again:luck:

Your stats look good enough to qualify for an interview. It's just that its on PharmCAS now and that makes the applicant pool bigger. I'd apply ASAP and just set the option on PharmCAS that you're taking the PCAT in October 2008.

I do not have a degree and I like Touro a lot. The professors are really nice and knowledgeable. The method they have in place here is quite a bit better from other schools. I'm guessing that most schools are about didactic lectures. Touro has about 60% didactic lectures, and then there are online assignments (Blackboard) and projects that help out a lot.

Oh yeah, the building is really technologically advanced.

I still haven't received any confirmation for my application nor do I see a supplemental application on Touro College's website. For people who already got accepted, please give some insights. Did you even have to complete a supplemental for Fall 2009 entrance??? :confused:

I still haven't received any confirmation for my application nor do I see a supplemental application on Touro College's website. For people who already got accepted, please give some insights. Did you even have to complete a supplemental for Fall 2009 entrance??? :confused:

From my own experience with Touro NY school of pharmacy, I already have a poor first impression of the school.

I was given two specific dates when the supplemental application would appear on their website. In both cases, promises were not kept.

According to PharmCAS, they do have a supplemental application that is scheduled to be due on Feb 2nd. So how can we complete our application on time if supplemental application is not even available right now?!

Hypothetically, if Touro does post their supplemental in beginning of December, we have about a little over 2 months to complete it.

Sparda!? Can you help us out here? Talk to your people in Admissions for us.

Either push back the Feb 2nd due date or post the supplemental now!

thanks.

From my own experience with Touro NY school of pharmacy, I already have a poor first impression of the school.

I was given two specific dates when the supplemental application would appear on their website. In both cases, promises were not kept.

According to PharmCAS, they do have a supplemental application that is scheduled to be due on Feb 2nd. So how can we complete our application on time if supplemental application is not even available right now?!

Hypothetically, if Touro does post their supplemental in beginning of December, we have about a little over 2 months to complete it.

Sparda!? Can you help us out here? Talk to your people in Admissions for us.

Either push back the Feb 2nd due date or post the supplemental now!

thanks.

I had submitted your concerns to our Assistant Dean to see if help some you guys out. Here is her response with further information that she would like you guys to know. So hopefully supplementals will be release to you guys soon. Good Luck everyone!

1. The confirmation of receipt of documents goes through PharmCAS. The student has the ability to check his/her own status of documents submitted.
  2. We are not a rolling admissions program. Therefore, all applications will be evaluated together. The 2 February deadline is adequate for completion of the soon-to-be-released supplemental application. The document is in process to our webmaster now. As soon as it finishes the approval stage, it will be posted.
  3. The application process for 2008 was entirely manual. The process for 2009 is on PharmCAS. The one thing that is the same for both years is that we do not practice a rolling admissions policy.
Dr. G-P
Assistant Dean, Student Affairs
Associate Professor

For those that are current Touro students or that are familiar with the area, where can I find good facts and comparisons on crime in that area? Were most of you able to find descent places to live? How do you like the school/location? I am from Arizona so I am very unfamiliar with the East coast.

There are a few of my classmates who have rented out apartments together in Manhattan. I believe Azianmunk is one of them.

I live in Long Island, and due to the epic cheap gas prices, I am driving in everyday. On a bad day, it'll take me 1 1/2 hours to get here, on a normal day, 45 minutes-1hour, and on a great day 30 minutes.

A combination of a great day and an aggressive driver = 15 minutes.

Crime wise, its pretty nice there during the day. There is a huge police presence there and a precinct near the school. Actually, I was stopped by a police officer who asked me for ID because I was walking around with my hoodie up, my palestinian scarf tightly covering my nose and face area, and sunglasses. Basically, I looked like I was about to rob a bank, but it was just COLD.

However, I have heard about an Osteopathic Student who was robbed at gunpoint at night. The guy took his cell phone then pistol whipped him. Then again, this guy was basically begging for trouble by talking on his phone in public.

I've never really been in the area at night but there was an Osteopathy student who was mugged at gunpoint 2 months ago.

Crime
Overall, crime is relatively low (compare to south LA). And there's noticeable police presence everywhere. Its really dependent on what you're use to.

Furthermore, after the whole incident with one of the Medical students, the school step up measures and sure we were looked after when we go home at night through the use of escorts. (The building is 24 hrs, yea we study a lot) I tried finding information on crime statistics for you but I wasn't too successful.

But basically, its like what they say in the army, stay alert stay alive! Stick to major streets with lots of foot traffic. But if you have to stray of into a residential, then, keep an eye out for someone that may be following. Often attackers won't do anything if you can see their face (allows you to profile them later). Lastly, walk in groups and don't hold things out in the open like a cell phone. Most of the crimes occur from after 4 PM up till 2 AM.

Places to Live
Unfortunately there are no dorms so you will have to resort to looking for an apartment by yourself. Finding a good apartment for a good price could be very difficult and very hit and miss. With the bad economy now, I suspect that rent and better apartments maybe easier to find now (so therefore, some of my advice maybe a bit dated). Rent in New York is higher compare to other cities, for example my apt cost 2.5k for 3 bdrm/2bathrm.

So basically, give yourself some time to search. (Usually atleast 2-3 weeks to month or so, you won't find anything in a week.) You might be able to stay over at current student's apt if they're generous enough. If you want a school-like environment, there are non-school-specific graduate dorms (such as the international house - very expensive).

Apartments usually aren't walk-up friendly. So often, you may need to resort to a broker (usually the easiest option). To avoid the broker fees, there are RDNY, craiglists, and free apt listing online.

School/ Location
The school is a commuter school. Hence, no dorms. The program here is design to be a 2+2, which means two years of heavy coursework and two years of practical experience. So yea, its tough, but many of the teachers reasonable in their expectations and basically have all-day office hours. (I swear they're always in their office... o_O). Location wise, its in a culturally rich neighborhood. If it helps your imagination, we're right across the street from Apollo Theater. And of course, its NYC - the city that never sleeps.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info Sparda29 & AZIANMunk, Compared to being able to find info for Crime Stats for other locations, this one proved to be the hardest. I guess its just because their cities run together way more than others.... Not sure what to do, I'm a little paranoid more times than not so I don't know how well I would do in a city that is full of Crime.... I don't think Arizona has half as bad of crime as condensed & largely poplulated areas such as NYC. I'm able to walk down the street and to my car while talking on my cell without constantly watching my back! My biggest fear is being attacked, but I've never let fear hold me back......
Another question, I am retaking O-Chem II to improve my score and I asked the school if they recommend putting the class as in progress or just add the completed course and grade. They said its up to me but if I looked under Completed Course information I might get a better idea of what to do.... Do they only Invite those how have all courses completed to interviews? or if the majority is complete will they still invite you for an interview? I also will not be finishing my B.B.S. degree until May, do you know if that will be a problem?

Last edited:
Why apply to a school that has recently been found to sell degrees and grades. Why spend four years going through pharmacy school and come out and find that you cant find a job cause you went to touro?

Its healthy to have a little paranoia. :) When my father was here with me, he was really scared the first time we roam the streets with our broker finding apts. But after 2 days, he was more comfortable walking up and down the streets - even more than me! So if you get invited for an interview, I highly suggest to tour the area and talk to the current students. See if this is a school that you want to attend.

To be honest, I cannot speak about how this school admits students. (Because I don't know.) Anything they said to you has more power over mine.

Just speaking out of my experiences, I've been to a few interviews before I had receive my BS. So yes, it is possible to receive an interview without all your requirements being completed. When I was doing research on how some schools qualify you for interviews process was through a point-process.

On a scale of 100:
Pharmacy Prereqs GPA [majority of the points]
Overall GPA [large but smaller portion of the points]
PCAT [same as previous]
Everything else is just worth a point:

• Extracurricular (depends on what the focus is of the school, some will give you points for research others may be looking for leadership qualities)
  • Did you recieve your BS yet (another point)
  • Did you complete all your Pharmacy Prereqs (point!)
  • Are you a Pharmacy tech? (point)
  • Have you work in a pharmacy for mor than two years (point!)
  • and so forth...
If all your points add up to minium requirements = Interview

I hope that helps, it really depends on the school and how they want to adjust the scale. But like always, every little thing helps. Hopefully if you know how the scale works, it ease your worrying. Just do what you have to, don't worry about getting an interview. You're already applied, everything is already in motion for you, just do your best in your classes and be patient. Good luck, I hope to see you in the fall!

Why apply to a school that has recently been found to sell degrees and grades. Why spend four years going through pharmacy school and come out and find that you cant find a job cause you went to touro?

That's not true. The incident you're talking occurred in another branch of school. Graduate school education, simply can't be fake, especially pharmacy. When you graduate, you will have to sit through through multiple exams afterward - the NAPLEX and other state board exams. If you were to purchase your degree, it be useless and wouldn't help you one bit in getting your license. There's no way you can bride your way through that! The pharmacy school is no joke, like every similar school, its under extreme scrutiny by the accreditation board. APCE tightly monitors the students and faculty's progress. Not only that, but we're in the business of health and prevention. You graduate here not knowing your stuff, you may wound up killing someone. There is no second chances, you can't mess up.

And if it helps, I'm already been offer a job. So whatever happened in the other programs surely hasn't affected the pharmacy reputation.

Last edited:
As for the whole crime thing, I also carry a pocket knife. I haven't had to pull it out yet though.

At LIU, I was mugged within 2 months of starting there back in 2005. And like 5 attempted muggings after that.

The second encounter I had, I resorted to martial arts to get away.

I had a knife on me for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th attempted muggings, once I pulled it out they walked away. I guess I am lucky that none of the muggers were armed. I also had pepper spray on me for those encounters but I didn't use it because of the wind factor (it would be an epic fail if the wind blows the pepper spray right back at you).

Some advice for anyone driving to Touro.

Fastest way from Queens is to take the Grand Central Parkway to the Triboro Bridge (I will call it the Triboro bridge till the day I die, I refuse to call it the RFK Bridge).

Once you cross the bridge into Manhattan, follow the signs and get onto 125th St (easiest route but not fastest route). Just take that straight until you hit Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd.

Parking, there are a few options.

#1 - Pretty good parking lot on 126th St between Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd and Frederick Douglas Blvd.

#2 - You can try and find street parking but make sure you park it in a safe area, avoid parking near parks.

#3 - There is parking right next to the building but the clowns running NYC decided to put 1 hour limits on the meters, so you'll have to go downstairs every hour to feed it. (Pretty much what I do every day for classes.)

Oh yeah, the pedestrians here have a lack of common sense and do not pay attention. And the place has plenty of cops, so don't speed too much, and refrain from doing burnouts, drifts, powerslides, donuts, etc. I mean just today I almost hit this guy who didn't even look before crossing the street and was looking down the whole time until I honked as I was approaching.