Touro NY Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a817

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey has anyone interviewed with Touro NY. I have an interview there. How was the school? Was the interview tensed or loose? Were the questions they asked general strength and weakness questions or specific to medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was tense and did involve difficult ethical questions.

did you get in? like what type of questions? were they like stuff i need to research before the interview or stuff like my stance on abortion?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd know about why DO...I'd know about healthcare issues in the united states. I think they're looking for people who plan to work with underserved populations in the future so be prepared to talk about how you want to do that. the interview is closed file so be ready to answer a lot of general style questions (what are your values?...look at interview feedback database on here for more specific questions).

The campus is very urban and the schools is very new so there's a lot kinks they're still working out...on my interview day it was freezing cold in the hallway of the building. Read the Tourocom-NY forum for more info.

I think it just depends on who's interviewing you. Mine was pretty intense, but other people I interviewed with had a relaxed day. I'd say just be prepared for anything! Overall, I loved the school though.

Agreed. I had a casual laidback conversation and ended up waistlisted. :confused:

I interviewed there and it was not layed back. There was definitely a good cop bad cop thing going on in that room, and and although it is close file the first question they asked was my mcat/gpa. I think the best way to prepare is to practice all the questions listed in the interview feedback section. Good luck, at least Obed is really nice!

thank you everyone for your response. I will look at all the questions given by former interviews.

Agreed. I had a casual laidback conversation and ended up waistlisted. :confused:

mine was probably the most intense interview I had, and I ended up getting in, go figure.

To tell you the truth, mine was really laid back. I had two DO's interviewing me (which I hear doesn't really happen often). When I went in, only one of the doctors was there, so I talked to him about golf for about 10 minutes until the other doctor came. They did ask one ethical question about giving a kidney transplant to a kid overseas rather than someone in the USA, but I just told them how I felt about it and they seemed fine. One thing I have always done in my interviews is when they ask you if you have any questions, don't just ask them about the school, ASK THEM ABOUT THEIR BACKGROUND; I cannot emphasize this enough. At every interview I went to, I asked them either why they went DO, where they went, and why they decided to teach there. For the MDs, I asked why they decided to teach at a DO institution. It seems like all of them love to talk about themselves, so the fact that you want to know about them may make you stand out in their minds. Heck, it' gotten me accepted to every school I applied to, so something had to be working. Also, don't get nervous (it's easy for me to say, since I'm not going to be there), and make sure that they know you mean business (not in a cocky way though). Finally, just enjoy the day; the students are very nice and willing to answer questions; so are the faculty and staff. All in all, my interview was a great experience. Best of luck!

...one of my interviewers got up and left in the middle of my interview. Then when he saw me in the hallway later in the day he didn't recognize me..that was awesome.

Then the other of the people who was interviewing me pulled me out of our wrap-up meeting to ask me more questions.

...all in all...a very strange day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey has anyone interviewed with Touro NY. I have an interview there. How was the school? Was the interview tensed or loose? Were the questions they asked general strength and weakness questions or specific to medicine.

When is your interview date?!

not sure yet, they said once they receive my secondary they will contact me to set the date. I asked the question to 3 diferent people in touro com, and they gave me the same response that if you get a secondary and your file is complete you are guaranteed an interview, they will probably receive everything today and hopefully i can set something up net week. So all i can do is wait...sigh

To lift your spirits a little, check the mainstream Touro-NY thread. According to a recent post, in February only 65/130 spots had been filled. They're looking to fill the rest with interviews through April and people from the :luck: waitlisttttt :luck:

hey long after the interview, did everyone find out their decision. My interview is on the 11th and i prefer finding out their decision before 18th which is when my LMU interview is. I would have to hop on a plane and rent a car and hotel in Tennessee for no reason if i got into touro.

hey long after the interview, did everyone find out their decision. My interview is on the 11th and i prefer finding out their decision before 18th which is when my LMU interview is. I would have to hop on a plane and rent a car and hotel in Tennessee for no reason if i got into touro.

I doubt they'll let you know in less than a week. It sounds like you'd rather die than interview at DCOM. :eek: Maybe you should be more open minded . . . you never know, you might really like it there.

Good Luck :luck:

oh sorry... i didn't mean it like that. I would only chose touro over dcom because of family,gf reasons, nothing against the school. I might still end up at LMU, but i do have a preference to stay in NY. I am really sorry the way that it came out.

I'm interviewing on the 11th too!! :D I guess I will be seeing you there! :thumbup:

yea i will be the brown guy lol.. good luck

haha I will be the blonde one talking in this foreign language known as the Southern accent. :laugh:

haha I will be the blonde one talking in this foreign language known as the Southern accent. :laugh:

Yea luckily I get to be the person speaking in a foreign accent the week after in Tennessee at LMU.

i am also interviewing on the 11th, i hope the girl with the southern acc will give me a nice kiss when we meet:love: ohh wait, i am a girl to:eek:, humm

A lot! After asking some questions that my friends in medical school told me I should ask, I found out some things that really bother me. I asked students rather than the tourguides, because they are supposed to only tell you good things about the school, or at least neutral ones. So here's what concerns me: 1-They don't know what the cirriculum will be for next year. That worries me because med school is hard, and I want to know exactly how they're going to teach us. For this year, they are completely system based, which means they start out with a ''Fundamentals'' course, which according to the students was a MESS of whatever they felt you should know. There is only one exam per system, and then you have a re-test a week later. They said that 40 percent of the first year class failed the Fundamentals exam, and the same amount failed the neurology exam. That is a lot for me, and apparently the exam was not reflective of the material presented in class. It even contradicted some of it! To make that even more concerning, the students said that the only thing they're sure will change for next year is that they are getting rid of re-tests, so that means that you're dependent on one exam for 6 weeks of lecture. Doesn't seem fair. Especially if the exams aren't ''fair'' to begin with 2-The dean will only meet with students as a whole class in class meetings. There is no open dorr policy, and you can't make an apointment with him unless you are failing out. 3-They are supposed to post the slides on the internet for each lecture ahead of time, as well as have the printed handouts waiting for you in your mailbox, but unfortunately the students said that for the last system they haven't had the notes online or in the mailboxes until AFTER the lecture. It just seems like NYCOM makes a difficult experience even more difficult, as well as unorganized Also... the cost is insane!!

A lot! After asking some questions that my friends in medical school told me I should ask, I found out some things that really bother me. I asked students rather than the tourguides, because they are supposed to only tell you good things about the school, or at least neutral ones. So here's what concerns me: 1-They don't know what the cirriculum will be for next year. That worries me because med school is hard, and I want to know exactly how they're going to teach us. For this year, they are completely system based, which means they start out with a ''Fundamentals'' course, which according to the students was a MESS of whatever they felt you should know. There is only one exam per system, and then you have a re-test a week later. They said that 40 percent of the first year class failed the Fundamentals exam, and the same amount failed the neurology exam. That is a lot for me, and apparently the exam was not reflective of the material presented in class. It even contradicted some of it! To make that even more concerning, the students said that the only thing they're sure will change for next year is that they are getting rid of re-tests, so that means that you're dependent on one exam for 6 weeks of lecture. Doesn't seem fair. Especially if the exams aren't ''fair'' to begin with 2-The dean will only meet with students as a whole class in class meetings. There is no open dorr policy, and you can't make an apointment with him unless you are failing out. 3-They are supposed to post the slides on the internet for each lecture ahead of time, as well as have the printed handouts waiting for you in your mailbox, but unfortunately the students said that for the last system they haven't had the notes online or in the mailboxes until AFTER the lecture. It just seems like NYCOM makes a difficult experience even more difficult, as well as unorganized Also... the cost is insane!!

I think you meant to post this in a NYCOM discussion thread, all the people here are talking about Touro-NY.

the reason i posted it, i came to TC back in oct of 2007 for the open house, and met the admissions dir and our tour guide, and after discussing TC our guide compared TC to NYCOM and the students shared their experience with nycom with one another, the admissions dir was not there for the entire time, but our guide was and many of the things he said about nycom seem to be true, there are many good reason to ch TC over nycom, yet i cannot understand how a school with such a large class size and high attrition rates is so popular

You should consider abbreviating less and punctuating more when you write...but thanks for the input.

ok, dont understand what my english grammer has to do with this, but as long as u understand what my intention was