Touro-ny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Em

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I know there was a thread a week ago asking how many people have gotten secondaries from Touro yet, but I'm wondering if there are still a bunch of you waiting to hear? I sent in my designation the morning it opened and still haven't heard!

Anyone else? I'm in CO!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I'm STILL waiting. I'm in the Dallas area of TX.

There are still those of us waiting. You are definitely not alone. Have you tried calling them? I always get the voicemail.

Just FYI, I don't know if you guys already know all this, but
I actually spoke to someone in the admissions office today about the secondary to see if I could go ahead and send it in since its posted on the website. He said he would recommend getting it ready to send in, but not to send it in yet because they are doing a pre-screening (gpa >3.0, mcat around 24) before they send them out. He said they don't want students sending them in and wasting money if they didn't meet the pre-screen requirements. I thought that was very nice of them. Good luck to everyone applying there. It looks like its going to be a good school. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So, less than 24 mcat doesn't get a secondary? I'll definitely have to call them.

Sorry I wasn't clear before. He said that 24 is not the cutoff, just the general score they are looking for. Mine is actually lower than a 24 and he was still positive. He said they will look at the whole package and you can offset a low mcat score with a higher gpa. (he said around 3.5, mine is 3.44 and he said that was close enough).

So, you are getting a secondary then? Man, that means I may still have hope!

Hi All!

I know there was a thread a week ago asking how many people have gotten secondaries from Touro yet, but I'm wondering if there are still a bunch of you waiting to hear? I sent in my designation the morning it opened and still haven't heard!

Anyone else? I'm in CO!

I am new to this whole...pursuit of medical school thing. What is a secondary?

And is there any advice on where I can find general information dealing with the whole application journey?

If you're interested in DO schools, go to aacom.org. For MD schools, go to aamc.org.

haha, that would be comical if Touro-NY screened for 24+ MCAT scores ... on the other hand, maybe it means there would actually be "smart" people being admitted ... hmmm.

Ok. I just spoke with the admissions director. He did confirm that the only ones getting secondaries are those with 3.0 gpa and higher and those with 24and higher MCAT. Everyone else will be getting a letter, but not a rejection (at least not yet).
They would save themselves a lot of time if they would just post that on their website. :laugh:

Ok. I just spoke with the admissions director. He did confirm that the only ones getting secondaries are those with 3.0 gpa and higher and those with 24and higher MCAT. Everyone else will be getting a letter, but not a rejection (at least not yet).
They would save themselves a lot of time if they would just post that on their website. :laugh:

damn, id apply if i had $200 to shelve away ... they really need to make that just a $50 secondary!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:confused: Wow! I didn't think they would be so picky after having started so late. The 3.0 is reasonable, but a 24+?!?! To ask people to come up with $200and meet those requirements seems a bit much at this point in the application cycle. I would think that most of the people with a 24+ MCAT would already have acceptances elsewhere.:rolleyes: :smuggrin: Well, good luck to anyone brave enough to fork over the $200.:luck:

Yeah, I think that's why they aren't sending rejections yet, only letters. They are going to find out the hard way that expecting 24+ this late in the cycle will get them nowhere. If I had a 24, I'd be accepted somewhere by now. But, right now, they aren't budging on that MCAT score, not even with a higher gpa. Mine is 3.6+ and I still will not be getting a secondary. If they lowered the sec. fee, maybe they would get some of the people that have been accepted elsewhere, but $200 is a lot of money! Oh well, I'll just concentrate on acing my AZCOM interview. Too bad. NY will just have to wait until residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, I thought the application fee was waived for this cycle? :confused:

I got the secondary last week but I don't know about it. They're basically asking for another personal statement (less than 2 pages) with all the information from your primary in essay form. I found it to be pretty ridiculous and have not written it yet.

I've recieved a secondary with a 23

check the AAMC and AACOM websites as suggested. Read the FAQ and stickies in the premed allopathic and osteopathic forums.

I am new to this whole...pursuit of medical school thing. What is a secondary?

And is there any advice on where I can find general information dealing with the whole application journey?

I've recieved a secondary with a 23

Apparently, you were lucky then. He told me it had to be 24. Nice to see that there is already a discrepancy in information. Not a good sign.

Anybody know how big of a class size they are filling?

i also called yesterday, and i was told that the first batch of secondaries they sent out were those that were above the cut off point (>24MCAT and >3.0GPA). Once those are out, they will go through those applicants who have a solid one but not the other, and they'll look through the entire primary application to see if they should send them secondaries. I agree, the guy on the phone was very cordial and im sure they're crazy busy, but he helped me out as much as he could.

He didn't tell me they would go through them again later. I assumed they would since it doesn't sound like they will be sending rejections any time soon. I really hate that there are so many discrepancies in the information. We all seem to get different information. I guess that's just part of the process with a new school

Ok. So I won't write them off yet. I just won't anticipate receiving a secondary any time soon. I expect we will all get one once they have very few returned that meet their cut-offs.

I agree, the people are always really nice. That's a plus. Now if they would only send me a secondary! :laugh:

I talked to Mr. Obed today and he said they'll be conducting first round of interviews Jan 29, 30 and 31....They will mail out interview invites tomorrow.

I talked to Mr. Obed today and he said they'll be conducting first round of interviews Jan 29, 30 and 31....They will mail out interview invites tomorrow.

So does that mean they already decided on who to interview from secondaries that were submitted last week and not any from THIS week?

Wait, I thought the application fee was waived for this cycle? :confused:

I got the secondary last week but I don't know about it. They're basically asking for another personal statement (less than 2 pages) with all the information from your primary in essay form. I found it to be pretty ridiculous and have not written it yet.

only DCOM is free secondary, not Mesa or Touro-NY.

He didn't tell me they would go through them again later. I assumed they would since it doesn't sound like they will be sending rejections any time soon. I really hate that there are so many discrepancies in the information. We all seem to get different information. I guess that's just part of the process with a new school

Ok. So I won't write them off yet. I just won't anticipate receiving a secondary any time soon. I expect we will all get one once they have very few returned that meet their cut-offs.

I agree, the people are always really nice. That's a plus. Now if they would only send me a secondary! :laugh:

maybe theyre saving you the despair of losing $200 and getting a rejection.

maybe theyre saving you the despair of losing $200 and getting a rejection.

I definitely don't want to lose $200, that's for sure. I don't mind not getting the secondary if I don't meet their cut-offs and they know they will not accept my stats. It would just be nice if they had posted their cut-offs so I could have saved the $50 to designate them. I suspect I will end up getting a secondary after they have a low response from the 24+ crowd. He did tell me to keep them updated if I decide to retake the MCAT.

so what i'm hearing from folks here is that a 24+ is weighed heavier than a 3.0+. Is that it? I got a higher MCAT score, but my GPA is rather low (slightly below 3.0 to be exact) How would that fare in this situation? Any ideas?

so what i'm hearing from folks here is that a 24+ is weighed heavier than a 3.0+. Is that it? I got a higher MCAT score, but my GPA is rather low (slightly below 3.0 to be exact) How would that fare in this situation? Any ideas?

lol it's funny how you are hearing a scenario that goes with your situation. Sorry i dont mean to be an ass but i really think it's a combination of both, either could be your advantage but overall it's your application. So if i were you, i will try to improve my weaknesses, like for instance trying to raise your GPA and then prolly do some shadowing, research etc to boost the application. Always remember that medical school process is crap shoot....people with awesome mcat scores and gpas dont end up getting into schools they are sure of, so just dont take it for granted!

lol it's funny how you are hearing a scenario that goes with your situation. Sorry i dont mean to be an ass but i really think it's a combination of both, either could be your advantage but overall it's your application. So if i were you, i will try to improve my weaknesses, like for instance trying to raise your GPA and then prolly do some shadowing, research etc to boost the application. Always remember that medical school process is crap shoot....people with awesome mcat scores and gpas dont end up getting into schools they are sure of, so just dont take it for granted!

oh no worries. I was just wondering. And yes, I am currently involved in improving my crappy GPA and so far, so good. I'm just waiting on hearing back from schools. And yes, as far as I'm concerned, GPA might be more important than MCAT since i have yet to hear back from any school :(

I got my secondary earlier this week in the mail. I have an above average MCAT, with a slightly below 3.0 GPA, so don't get your hopes down! I also worked in a hospital for 2 years, and am doing research now. I am sending my precious $200 off tomorrow...

oh no worries. I was just wondering. And yes, I am currently involved in improving my crappy GPA and so far, so good. I'm just waiting on hearing back from schools. And yes, as far as I'm concerned, GPA might be more important than MCAT since i have yet to hear back from any school :(

awww dont worry you will def get in this year..take my word! What schools did you apply to? I recommend applying to DCOM as well..it's a great school. I absolutely love the school!

Hi all. Are you guys writing new essays from scratch for the secondary to Touro-Harlem or are you using the same one that you used for the primary?

Also, do you know till when the admissions committees will hold interviews? Will they stop in April like most schools or keep going till May/June/July?

Hope some of you know the answers to these questions on here.

Well, I did some research on the website and they are going to be interviewing until the first of July. Does anyone know how many interview days they will have per week and how many people they will interview per day?

Has anyone received interview invites yet???

I haven't yet but I am anticipating one soon. I'll be in Touro-MI on the 30th though so I'll prob interview later on.

I haven't yet but I am anticipating one soon. I'll be in Touro-MI on the 30th though so I'll prob interview later on.

is it true that the admissions are strict with the cut offs with applicants in order to get secondary application and interview invites?

I got my secondary from Touro today. THANK YOU ALL for helping me keep my hopes up. Gotta send this out as soon as possible and pray for better news :) BTW I want to repeat the question someone already asked. How are people going about the personal statement? I'm definitely considering including SOME important things from my primary, just because they're important in my decision to go into med school. Is that a bad idea?

Congrats Amathew!

If we both get accepted, maybe we'll be classmates next year!! :)

I got my secondary from Touro today. THANK YOU ALL for helping me keep my hopes up. Gotta send this out as soon as possible and pray for better news :) BTW I want to repeat the question someone already asked. How are people going about the personal statement? I'm definitely considering including SOME important things from my primary, just because they're important in my decision to go into med school. Is that a bad idea?

Hey amathew,

I completely redid a whole new personal statement. I need all the help I can get getting an interview and took up the entire 2 pages to write a personal statement. Unless your stats are just so great that you can cut and paste the AACOMAS personal statement, I'd write a new one...

Hey amathew,

I completely redid a whole new personal statement. I need all the help I can get getting an interview and took up the entire 2 pages to write a personal statement. Unless your stats are just so great that you can cut and paste the AACOMAS personal statement, I'd write a new one...

thanks! i'll take your advice, cuz the Lord knows my stats will not get me anywhere. And just when I thought I was done with writing essays *sigh*:oops:

thanks! i'll take your advice, cuz the Lord knows my stats will not get me anywhere. And just when I thought I was done with writing essays *sigh*:oops:

congrats peeps. i never re-wrote a personal essay unless needed to do so ... i.e. different prompt.

hey there,

did you apply to any other Touros or D.O. schools? I am just bringing this up because the essay prompt is pretty much the same question asked by many other D.O. schools so if you sent in some secondaries before then using those essays with or without revision should work well. So you shouldn't use your personal statement as they already have that but a essay for a secondary for another school would probably work well. Best of luck, I hope to see some of you at the interviews!

I :love: NYC (though not sure as much as vegas)

hey there,

did you apply to any other Touros or D.O. schools? I am just bringing this up because the essay prompt is pretty much the same question asked by many other D.O. schools so if you sent in some secondaries before then using those essays with or without revision should work well. So you shouldn't use your personal statement as they already have that but a essay for a secondary for another school would probably work well. Best of luck, I hope to see some of you at the interviews!

I :love: NYC (though not sure as much as vegas)

oops, i meant secondaries .. not personal statement. hah.

anyways, i love NYC too, but it'll have to wait ... :tears:

im working on it right now. I'm kind of getting ideas from my other secondaries along with why touro-ny seems right for me.

On a different note, I had a dream that I was living and attending a school in NY last night. It seemed so real. *sigh* I've always been looking for an excuse to be in NY before I turn really old. We'll see. If only, I could write that in my personal statement :oops:

hey for the people who have received secondaries, when did aacom send ur primary apps?

i designated touro on 12/13 and it was mailed out on 12/17...the secondary was postmarked on 12/29 and i think i got it on 1/4...i hope this helps and good luck!

i designated touro on 12/13 and it was mailed out on 12/17...the secondary was postmarked on 12/29 and i think i got it on 1/4...i hope this helps and good luck!

Same here

Anybody received the invite to interview yet?? Just wondering what it says. I checked the mailbox and mine was not in the mail today. :(

Anybody received the invite to interview yet?? Just wondering what it says. I checked the mailbox and mine was not in the mail today. :(

sigh, not yet. still waiting...

submitted 12/14
aacomas sent 12/17
received secondary 1/13
probably sending secondary this weekend...im stuck on the personal statement/essay