Touro-ny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the 2 page essay, what spacing did you guys use? 2 pages single or double or 1.5....

Members don't see this ad.

i did single spacing, but i just had too much to say. i'm sure either is fine.

i am interviewing on the 29th too! has anyone picked a hotel yet, or does anyone have any advice on picking one? i've never been to new york and don't want to get lost!!

If anyone needs suggestions on hotels in the city shoot me a PM. I live in manhattan and would be more than happy to help fellow sdn'ers.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know the names of the people working in the admissions office? I spoke to a really nice guy on the phone and for the life of me cannot remember his name. I need to call him again and dont want to look like an idiot. If anyone knows names of people they have been in contact with, please let me know to see if any of them ring a bell. Thanks!

anyone know the names of the people working in the admissions office? I spoke to a really nice guy on the phone and for the life of me cannot remember his name. I need to call him again and dont want to look like an idiot. If anyone knows names of people they have been in contact with, please let me know to see if any of them ring a bell. Thanks!

Hey i think you are talking about Mr.Obed Figeroa, he's a really nice guy. I am sure they are gettign bombarded with phone calls but he sitll manages to not only return your phone call but take the time to answer all your questions, its kinda nice.

Hey i think you are talking about Mr.Obed Figeroa, he's a really nice guy. I am sure they are gettign bombarded with phone calls but he sitll manages to not only return your phone call but take the time to answer all your questions, its kinda nice.

isn't he the director of admissions to whom we send out our supplemental application?!? wow, props to him to keep his calm through all the hectic applications and stressed out applicants

would anyone who had their interview already like to share their experience?

thanks in advance!

isn't he the director of admissions to whom we send out our supplemental application?!? wow, props to him to keep his calm through all the hectic applications and stressed out applicants

yeah he is the director and such a helpful guy, i guess tehy have to be considereing they are so late in the cycle . . .:laugh:

i know he asked me what my name was and said ill "look" for it in the applications so i recommend you guys def take the time and introduce yourself to him

oh my freaking god. I am having the hardest time writing this damn essay!!!! As if all my creativity was lost with my very last secondary I filled out three months ago. AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! :smuggrin:

oh my freaking god. I am having the hardest time writing this damn essay!!!! As if all my creativity was lost with my very last secondary I filled out three months ago. AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! :smuggrin:

i know what you mean. 2 pages are hella.

oh i know what you mean, it was incredibly obnoxious. i kept trying to tweek it, but finally i gave up and figured whatever i had down was okay and the sooner i got the app in the better. even when i was at the post office mailing it, i was really shaky about it.

Anyone know where they are going to be staying at? I am still trying to find a decent hotel that is somewhat close to the school for a reasonable price. Can anyone offer any advice?

After looking around, I thought the Radisson seemed the best deal. 129 w/o tax and about the same distance as the other hotels were from the school that they listed on their e-mail. It has pretty good rooms at a decent price since I had to book the room on such short notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the Belleclaire. I haven't booked yet. :)

Hey Guys. I designated to AACOM on 1/5 and they sent it out on 1/7 and I still haven't gotten a supplemental from Touro. I know they're a new program but I was definitely getting a little worried. So there is still hope to receive the secondary then?

Hey Guys. I designated to AACOM on 1/5 and they sent it out on 1/7 and I still haven't gotten a supplemental from Touro. I know they're a new program but I was definitely getting a little worried. So there is still hope to receive the secondary then?

I think you'll be okay. The last time I called they were in meetings planning out the upcoming events. I just think they might be very busy. Initially they were also pre-screening for applicants: GPA 3.0 and MCAT 24. These are ballpark numbers and others will be considered after they interview the higher stats. Good luck! :luck:

I was thinking the Belleclaire. I haven't booked yet. :)

The belleclaire isnt a bad choice..I've heard decent things from people who have stayed there. It is in a nice location because you can take the 1 train from the 79th/broadway station and switch to the 2 or 3 at 96th and take that to 125th street at which the station is near touro. The B/C trains stop at 81th/central park west(museum of natural history) and will also drop you by touro but it's a bit more of a hike from the hotel.You also have the M7 bus on amsterdam ave which would take you close as well. Cab ride from there should be around $8-12+tip depending on time of day and traffic. From the raddison it will take a bit longer because either you will have to grab the 4/5(express) or 6(local) to 125th/lex and either walk (about 6 somewhat long blocks) or transfer to the M60 bus. A cab from the radisson would probably run around $15+ not including tip. www.mta.info is the best place for all your nyc transit needs.
cheers
howie

I did not send my application there because of the secondary fee, but good luck to you guys :)

I talked to an admissions lady today and found out that each interview day will have about 9 people and they are going to have 3 interview days a week. I saw on the website that they are going to be interviewing till the first of July. Is that true? If so, that means they are going to be interviewing around 585 people or so. Do you guys think that is a likely number?

that number could be right. i know bradenton said they interviewed about 600 last year, so it doesn't seem too unlikely that a brand new school would have a lot of interviewers too.

hey everyone! i just got an email invite and the days they are currently filling are feb 7, 13, and 14...i'm trying to figure out which is the best day...good luck to those waiting!

hey everyone! i just got an email invite and the days they are currently filling are feb 7, 13, and 14...i'm trying to figure out which is the best day...good luck to those waiting!

Congrats on the interview...Maybe I'll see you on the 7th

I talked to an admissions lady today and found out that each interview day will have about 9 people and they are going to have 3 interview days a week. I saw on the website that they are going to be interviewing till the first of July. Is that true? If so, that means they are going to be interviewing around 585 people or so. Do you guys think that is a likely number?

Do you or anyone else by chance know what they meant by "panel" for the interview (meaning 2 people interviewing one person, or 2 people interviewing more than one person at a time)?

I guess I should just call haha:laugh:

from the email they sent, it seemed like one applicant was going to be interviewed by 2 people, one a basic science prof and the other a clinical faculty member. hope that answers your question

Just scheduled for the 7th...see you then! :)

Other than Paramba and me -- anyone else on the 6th??

finally sent out the secondary..whew! and now i do what i seem to be doing best....wait to hear back from them :oops:

Does anyone know how many students they are accepting for this cycle

If anyone needs suggestions on hotels in the city shoot me a PM. I live in manhattan and would be more than happy to help fellow sdn'ers.

What hotels would you recomomend?

d

NY1 did a feature on Touro-NY.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=8&aid=66219

* NY1 is a new york specific news channel on cable channel 1 :)

The article online is pretty short, but the actual TV bit was kind of neat.

from this article, it seems like they have a really strong emphasis on admitting a lot of underrepresented minorities. i know many other med schools are similar in this regard, but i don't know what that means for everyone else and whether we have a good shot at getting in here if that was one of their top reasons for opening this school.

did a feature on tonight's evening news. They also emphasized Touro's interest in minority candidates who would stay in the area and focus on underserved populations.

i just received the secondary today, pretty excited. in case anyone wondering about stats and if they will get a secondary, my stats aren't really that good: 3.39 overall, 3.35 non-science, 3.43 science and 23O MCAT but i received a secondary, so i'm happy.

hmmmmm I just registered on this site...

I got an interview at TOUROCOM and was hoping someone else has already gone there...but I guess I'm in the first batch...I got mine on January 29th...I'll try and post about the experience on here when I get back...finding a place to stay there is VERY hard though...stupid hotels are all sold out...and cabs are expensive...

Good luck to you on Monday

Got an interview on the 29th also. Anyone know how many people they are going to have per day?

Zeppelinmed & rbgirl,

Guess I will be seeing you two there! :)

Hi, I also reieved an interview for January 29th and I'm crazy nervous. For those of you not from NYC,... I've lived here for 4 years and I dont recommend taking the subway to get to the interview. No matter how well you know the train system, there's always the chance for delays and getting lost. Take a cab, it may cost you 10-15 depending on where you stay, but its worth avoiding the stress.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Anybody has an idea what this means for out of state resident and non-minority applicants?

Got an interview on the 29th also. Anyone know how many people they are going to have per day?

Zeppelinmed & rbgirl,

Guess I will be seeing you two there! :)

Hello guys,

Just wondering how your interview went today. I am in Cali right now about to head to Vallejo for tomorrow's interview. Hope all went well and can't wait to hear about your experiences.

:)

Hope everyone's interview went well today. Fill us in. :D :love:

yea let us know! :)

can someone please give me an idea of what they wrote for the supplemental application personal statement. any help would be great.

what's this deal with "panel" interviews?

is it 2 interviewers for acouple students OR is it 2 interviewers for every interviewee?

correct me if i am wrong but i am under the impression that it should be for every interviewer

NY1 did a feature on Touro-NY.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=8&aid=66219

* NY1 is a new york specific news channel on cable channel 1 :)

The article online is pretty short, but the actual TV bit was kind of neat.

Does this mean that Touro-Harlem will become similar to Meharry or Howard University in regards to the students they will be accepting? If I can't get into the school because of my racial background, why did I give them my $250? :( Did anyone else know of this prior to the news articles that were recently released? I may have entirely missed Tourocom's goal prior to applying.

I called when I was writing my essay, and Obed said to read the mission statement for osteopathy and TOUROCOM and write something about how you fulfill those requirements.

I hope that helps.

Anyone have any feeback on how the interview was? School location? School atmosphere/students?? Faculty? Thanks!

For anyone who interviewed today or yesterday any info of how it went?