TOURO OMM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently visited TOURO and was impressed by the school. However, the student who showed us around was less than thrilled of the OMM part of the corriculum. Any thoughts from other current TOURO students?
Also, does TOURO have or plan to have an OMM Fellowship program?

[This message has been edited by sean (edited April 10, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know myself, but I don't want the above post to get buried. Any Touro students out there that can answer to the above?

Our OMM is pretty tough. The head instructor came from COMP as well as most of the table trainers. You get what you put in. We have some students who are OMM guru's and are doing the summer fryette course. We have a great cranial doc, and some great table trainers. Other students don't like that they have to treat another student for an entire semester when we haven't learned much yet. I think all schools have interested and non-interested students in OMM. I like it a lot and show up at lunch to learn more from the OMM doc during the student clinics at lunch.
Our 3rd and 4th years did great on the OMM section of the comlex so I guess they were well prepared.
There is no fellowship right now, though one was tried a year ago. I think it was too soon to figure out all the details. Because of CA history, there are still not a ton of DO's in SF.
I can't speak for the student who showed you around, but they may have an issue with the teacher , who knows? This is a good school, the prof's are great and the curriculum is tough. I don't know if any DO school can boast a better match (check the website for details. We have great rotations and I love the atmosphere here.

Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Moose

Members don't see this ad :)
Moose, thanks for your helpful reply. You are correct that students vary in interest with respect to OMM but it was more the school's focus that I was concerned with. I am glad to hear that there are extra avenues open to those who want to do more than complete their 250 hrs. I have over 500 hrs of different bodywork styles and am currently a part of a student trainer program and so this part of Osteopathy really appeals to me. Physical manipulation is very intimidating to most people and I can see why some students would feel lost.
From your post it sounded like the school tried to organize some internships with DO's but failed. However, the fellowship program that I was asking about was one where students stay an extra year and help to teach incoming students OMM. I believe that COMP have such a program. Does TUCOM have or intend to have such a program? Thanks. Sean.

thats the program that I was talking about, I just have no idea why it failed, cuz it was before my time.

moose