Touro or Midwestern CCP?????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've been accepted to Touro and Midwestern CCP but can't decide where to go. I really liked the professors at Touro, the 2 years of rotations, and the great weather, but Chicago also has great facilities and professors (plus it's fully accredited and cheaper). My fiance will need to find a job in electrical engineering wherever we move so we were thinking of looking for jobs in both places before we make a decision. It's hard for him to look for jobs right now though because he's writing his dissertation and preparing to defend.

Right now we're both leaning towards Touro, but I would like to get as many opinions as possible from you guys.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Stephie said:
So far I've been accepted to Touro and Midwestern CCP but can't decide where to go. I really liked the professors at Touro, the 2 years of rotations, and the great weather, but Chicago also has great facilities and professors (plus it's fully accredited and cheaper). My fiance will need to find a job in electrical engineering wherever we move so we were thinking of looking for jobs in both places before we make a decision. It's hard for him to look for jobs right now though because he's writing his dissertation and preparing to defend.

Right now we're both leaning towards Touro, but I would like to get as many opinions as possible from you guys.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!! :)

I've been accepted to Midwestern and I'm still waiting to hear from my second school. I can tell you that my fiance is a MECHANICAL engineer and there are tons and tons of job oppotunities here in the Chicagoland area.

Kind of ironic, two female pharmacists, two male engineers. Maybe we are dopplegangers!

Chris

P.S. - The weather here will definitley build some character. We have had some brutal winters in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am going to Midwestern in the fall...so I might be a little biased. But I know I wouldn't take the chance with a pharmacy school that is not accredited. Especially after what happened in Hawaii.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/11/news/story5.html

http://www.valuemd.com/pharmacy/39107-state-probes-hawaii-college-pharmacy.html

I was actually looking at that school a while ago before all this stuff happened, and they were pretty convincing that they were going to be accredited but I found it a little suspicious when they said "no pharmacy school that started the accreditation process wasn't accredited"...I figured why would they be selling it so much.

That situation probably won't happen again (they started off something like 240 students their first year which was unheard of...might be a reason they weren't accredited)...but I don't know if I would take the chance.

freshbeatschris said:
I've been accepted to Midwestern and I'm still waiting to hear from my second school. I can tell you that my fiance is a MECHANICAL engineer and there are tons and tons of job oppotunities here in the Chicagoland area.

Kind of ironic, two female pharmacists, two male engineers. Maybe we are dopplegangers!

Chris

P.S. - The weather here will definitley build some character. We have had some brutal winters in the past.

Thanks for the reply! It looks like there are more job opportunities for my fiance (electrical engineering) in the Bay area, so that makes us lean more towards Touro, but I'm still torn because Midwestern is fully accredited.

These decisions are so tough!!!

insipid1979 said:
Well I am going to Midwestern in the fall...so I might be a little biased. But I know I wouldn't take the chance with a pharmacy school that is not accredited. Especially after what happened in Hawaii.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/11/news/story5.html

http://www.valuemd.com/pharmacy/39107-state-probes-hawaii-college-pharmacy.html

I was actually looking at that school a while ago before all this stuff happened, and they were pretty convincing that they were going to be accredited but I found it a little suspicious when they said "no pharmacy school that started the accreditation process wasn't accredited"...I figured why would they be selling it so much.

That situation probably won't happen again (they started off something like 240 students their first year which was unheard of...might be a reason they weren't accredited)...but I don't know if I would take the chance.

I am a little nervous about Touro not being fully accreditted yet, but I really did like the school and it looks like they are going about the process the right way. One of the problems with HICP was that they skipped the pre-candidate step completely, among other things.

Thanks for your input!!!

i would probably choose midwestern over touro ... i also got into midwestern ... never interviewed for touro though, so i cannot really say much about that school, just the accredation thing that kinda lures me away.... i had a buddy that went to midwestern in chicago and graduated in three years ... some accelerated program there or something ... i don't know if that is still in place ... midwestern though is a nice feel, in the suburbs of chicago but yet you can still go to the city .... and is a very reputable school ... good luck on your choice

Stephie said:
I am a little nervous about Touro not being fully accreditted yet, but I really did like the school and it looks like they are going about the process the right way. One of the problems with HICP was that they skipped the pre-candidate step completely, among other things.

Thanks for your input!!!

From the outside looking in, I'd say go with CCP.

1) They are accredited.
2) Even though Downers Grove is well-to-do, I'm sure the cost of living is less expensive than Bay area, CA.
3) They have an accelerated PharmD if you are in the top 50 GPAs after the first year (I believe), and this option allows you to graduate in 3.5 years.

The only con for me would be the weather, but I'm sure you've had time to be accustomed to winter living in New Jersey (although there's nothing quite like a Chicago winter).

Chris

Haha, same here, my fiance is an electrical engineer too. He is working on his disertation now, and he is now in Chicago for shcool, so I really want to get into either one of the pharmacy school here is Chicago. Wish me the best luck/

And congradulations to both of you have been accepted.
:)

Just curious stephie... were you accepted to both schools at the same time or did you actually forked out the $2000deposit req' by touro? or whatever the price is for MCP CCP? before the other school made their decisions...

Hammrhage said:
Just curious stephie... were you accepted to both schools at the same time or did you actually forked out the $2000deposit req' by touro? or whatever the price is for MCP CCP? before the other school made their decisions...

Did you say $2,000 deposit?!?! :eek:

insipid1979 said:
Did you say $2,000 deposit?!?! :eek:

Unfortunately, Touro does charge a $2000 NON-refundable deposit to hold your spot. I did it and now I can't get it back after I found out I got into UOP.

xturquoise said:
Unfortunately, Touro does charge a $2000 NON-refundable deposit to hold your spot. I did it and now I can't get it back after I found out I got into UOP.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

xturquoise said:

Wow, that sounds ridiculous. This alone would probably make me not even consider the school if this is how they do things. Are you sure you can't get any of it back? I'm pretty sure I read that Midwestern gives you some amount for a refund if you let them know by a certain date that you no longer plan to go there...and their deposit was only $500.

edit: nevermind - I looked on the pharmcas school page for Touro and it said non-refundable. That really sucks...sorry that happened to you :thumbdown:

insipid1979 said:
Wow, that sounds ridiculous. This alone would probably make me not even consider the school if this is how they do things. Are you sure you can't get any of it back? I'm pretty sure I read that Midwestern gives you some amount for a refund if you let them know by a certain date that you no longer plan to go there...and their deposit was only $500.

edit: nevermind - I looked on the pharmcas school page for Touro and it said non-refundable. That really sucks...sorry that happened to you :thumbdown:

Midwestern gives you $100 back if you decide to cancel enrollment 30 days prior the orientation.

xturquoise said:

As my fiance has told me, it is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things to keep all of your options open. As long as you get into some pharmacy school somewhere initially and then find out that you got into YOUR school of choice later, you really can't allow yourself to feel regret over the deposit you paid to secure your future.

Chris

Yes, I actually found out that I got into Touro in November and didn't find out until this week that I was accepted to Midwestern, so I did pay the deposit for Touro. I don't regret it though because for me it was worth the money just to know that I would be going to pharmacy school for sure next year! As it turns out I am leaning more towards going to Touro anyway in the Fall so I guess it might work out after all.

Just consider the deposits as donation to the school :D

dragonet said:
Just consider the deposits as donation to the school :D

I wonder how much money a year these schools are getting in "donations." It's probably tens of thousands, right?

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
I wonder how much money a year these schools are getting in "donations." It's probably tens of thousands, right?

Chris

all that deposit money goes towards your tuition if you do decide to attend.

this eliminates a lot of people that is only using Touro as a back up. I'm sure tons of people are still doing that, but im sure the $2000 lowers that count quite a bit, and makes it easier for the school to decide how many acceptances they should offer.