touro or st georges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdubpower

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone, i was wondering your opinion

i really want to be an orthopedic surgeon, and i wondering, what would be a better choice to accomplish that goal, go the the island and get an md, or stay in usa and get a do. i am totally into the holistic philosophy of osteopathy,and belive omm is very usefull, and i am not worried about the DO stigma at all, but how limited is it to get an ortho residnecy as a do, than an island md.

Members don't see this ad.

Well the lesser of the two "evils" you describe would be to get a DO, but I wouldn't do it if I wasn't wholeheartedly in love with the osteopathic philosophy or else you're doing a disservice to yourself and the profession.

DOs have a really tiny shot at allopathic ortho residencies, but have osteopathic ortho residencies available. Island MDs only have allopathic ortho programs, but I think it's safe to say that practically NO Island MD gets an allopathic ortho residency.

Tim of New York City.

For more information about osteopathic orthopedic programs try contacting the American Osteopathic Board of Orthopeadic Surgery.
http://www.aobos.org/

I'm doing ortho this month and like it. I think that DO orthopods have a lot to offer patients both in the way of surgery and comprehensive, aggressive conservative care. If you do the right rotations at the right places, get the right letters of rec from people well known in the field, do some research, and score competitively on the USMLE I think that most MD programs would look at you closely. It is a very competitive field though and it is my impression that although DO ortho programs are smaller (some only take 1-2 residents a year) most are of very good quality. You can look at the results of the osteopathic orthopedic match at:
http://www.aoa-net.org/PostDoc/Match/orthmatch.htm

Botsford Hospital in Michigan has what is considered by many to be among the best osteopathic ortho programs in the nation. Check it out at:
http://www.botsfordhospital.org/

I think Tim is correct that the chances of someone from an off-shore school getting an ortho slot is slim.

Good luck,

David

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a student at Touro. If you want to go to school on an island, this is the place. I think that leaving the country is a bit extreme. When Touro is accredited next year it will be very hard to get in, we already have the 2nd highest GPA/MCAT in the country.

Originally posted by M00se:
When Touro is accredited next year it will be very hard to get in, we already have the 2nd highest GPA/MCAT in the country.

Hi, I was just wondering.. you mentioned Touro not getting accredited until next year.. I thought all 19 DO schools were accredited by the AOA...

To be fully accredited, a school must meet several criteria and one of them is that they must have graduated at least one class. This is the final step in full accreditation. If you have met all of the other criteria, you have a provisional accreditation. Touro and Pikeville will both be fully accredited at the moment of their graduation ceremonies this spring. I believe the Arizona school just got its full accreditation this past spring or the spring prior. At this point, it tis just a matter of waiting on graduation.

To respond to the original question, I believe your chances of becoming an orthopedic surgeon are much better if you attend a DO program as opposed to an offshore medical school.

The second highest GPA/MCAT in the country. Wow I'm very impressed with your statistics. Who made them up?
You know 95% of all statistics are made up... that's 50% true I'm almost sure of it.
Now that I'm done picking on your school spirit I have to say one would be making a huge mistake going out of the country to go to medical school just for the MD initials. After all I beleive you can buy them for a few hundred bucks in several magazines and the internet (from unaccredited schools of course).
Finally, you don't have to be in love with anything to be a DO. You just have to wanna be a doc. OMM is just another class like path or micro. You don't have be in love with those either.
Ummm, that's it. Happy New Year...