Touro/Technion joint program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swdespd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just stumbled onto this website and probably spent a good part of my day reading different posts. I must say the I picked up a wealth of information regarding a foreign medical education from each and every one of you posting. Thank you and keep them coming!

I was just curious, is the Touro College/Technion medical school in Israel hard to get into? From what I understand, if you receive a's and b's in the classes offered at Touro, you move onto Technion. More or less....do or die. Please correct me if I am wrong......

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The Touro/Technion program is actually not an easy program to get into. you have to go through 2 interviews. The first one is with Touro and if they like you, they invite you to interview with the Technion in NY. The Technion is pretty strict and doesn't want students with less than a B in any undergrad science class or less than an 8 on any section of the MCAT. If you got a B- or a C in one class, it's not gonna kill you. they do look at volunteering and your background as a whole. The education is top notch. The big pro to this program is that you spend the first year in the US and only 3 years in Israel. The reason the program is 5 years is because you get licensed in the US and in Israel and you spend like 3 months of the 5th year doing a mini residency in Israel. You only pay tuition for 4 years and the tuition is only like 20,000 a year, which is so much less than any US med school. The people who have graduated from this program (which BTW has existed for over 20 years) have all gotten really amazing residencies, even in competitive fields such as ENT and surgery, bec they do really well on the boards.

So, you get accepted into the Technion before you begin at Touro, but it's contingent on you getting above a B in all your classes at Touro, which shouldn't be too hard. If all you want to do is pass in med school, you're probably not going to succeed. the goal is to learn the material so that you can be a good doctor and if you study, there's no reason for you not to do well. Some students can also choose to just do the MS and then try to get into the technion in the spring of your first year at touro. If you didn't get into med school this year and don't want to just waste a year, I would highly recommend doing this program. Also, if you like Israel and want to go to a great school (The Technion won the noble prize this year!!!) this is it. The MS year is really the first year of med school and the profs are supposed to be amazing. The Technion has a hospital right next door, so you get great clinical exposure.

I have my final interview with the Technion at the American Technion Society tomorrow morning and I'm beginning to feel some anxiety. I'm wondering what will be different in this final interview than my first interview (I'm guessing the first was to determine if I would succeed in the program, and the final is to see if I would adjust well in Israel). Could you shed some light on what I should expect?

thanks

The interview with the Technion deciedes your admission. Like with all med school interviews, don't BS them, show confidence in your answers and you will be fine. Good luck...
Rob
2nd year