This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamagirl16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on how to handle quitting a vet assistant job I got at the beginning of November. The doctor that owns and manages the practice, knows the doctor that I also work for as a kennel technician.

Some information about what has been going on:

I originally reached out the clinic in hopes to get some more vet hours as an intern, and was offered a part time vet assistant job instead. I was hired at the end of the working interview, with her knowing very well that I was not as experienced with restraint and all of that as she wanted me to be. My first day, no one even acknowledged me when I walked in. I felt so unwelcomed. I started to hear from the other techs how they were looking for different clinics to work at. The doctor is moody all the time, she yells at us in front of clients, and pretty much acted like i should just know how things are done there.

Well two of the senior techs have decided they hate me. They lie to her and tell her I don’t want to do half of the work she wants done. I know this because I got my first performance review last week, and it was horrible. I was in tears after. She started out telling me she’s disappointed in my performance and she expected me to be way more advanced in cat restraint, which can be difficult when no one shows you how to properly do it! She also went on about how the two specific techs that hate me say that I tell them I only want to do what I want. And it gets even better, they told her I said I am better than them because I’m in college. (One didn’t go to school, and one has been struggling to get registered for 6 years). I didn’t judge either one, only time we talked about school was when they asked what I was studying. Apparently saying pre-vet was the wrong answer... well the doc went on to tell me that I absolutely am not better than the other techs and I need to learn to respect everyone. She also went on to tell me that I would probably not mak a good vet unless I learned to respect the people who have been in the field longer.

I’m pretty hurt by the comment she made trying to tell me I won’t be a vet. The stuff she had complaints about came from those two techs and I really feel like it should have been based more on her opinion.

Dilemma:

I am not going to continue working for her. Unfortunately she is out of town until Thursday and if I’m quitting with notice I need to get it into the clinic ASAP. Also, she gave me keys so I have to deal with that as well too. I really don’t want to finish December schedule out. But I’m afraid she’ll reach out to my current boss, who she knows. He knows I’ve been over there but he’s also aware that she’s not so great to her techs. I’m just really anxious cus I love my job at the one hospital and don’t know how to handle this situation. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

First off, have you tried to set up a meeting with the vet to talk to her about the situation ? If not, I think it would be a good idea to set up a meeting with her and explain that there must have been some miscommunication between you and the other techs and that you had wanted to learn all of these things.
I know that you dont want to continue working for her but it doesnt hurt to try to fix the issues so that she doesnt give you a bad recommendation assuming a future potential job somehow got her name.
I would definetly also give my notice at this time. Its not a healthy environment to be in and as long as you do it professionally (with notice) I think quitting is perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d put in my notice & GTFO. I’m all about leaving toxic environments.
Agreeeeeeeeee

Also check if your state is an at-will state, where you can walk out without any notice. I'm not saying you should do that right off the bat, but if after giving your two weeks notice they try to make your last two weeks there miserable, if you live in an at-will employment stats, you can walk out at any time without any advance notice and they can't do anything legally.

Reactions: 1 users
First off, have you tried to set up a meeting with the vet to talk to her about the situation ? If not, I think it would be a good idea to set up a meeting with her and explain that there must have been some miscommunication between you and the other techs and that you had wanted to learn all of these things.
I know that you dont want to continue working for her but it doesnt hurt to try to fix the issues so that she doesnt give you a bad recommendation assuming a future potential job somehow got her name.
I would definetly also give my notice at this time. Its not a healthy environment to be in and as long as you do it professionally (with notice) I think quitting is perfectly acceptable.

We actually talked during a performance review about this on Thursday and when she started to say that I’d never be able to make it as a vet, I decided I didn’t want to work for her anymore. Why would you want to discourage someone? Especially one of your employees. There’s another assistant there that feels the same as me, she’s been there for 6 months and the doctor has done stuff like gossip about her and not realize that she was standing right behind her. The techs that don’t like me are actually lying about stuff. I’m the fourth assistant she’s hired since October too. I just feel like a meeting would not benefit me at all, just stress me out. I haven’t been to work since Thursday because I have kidney disease and called out Friday, and of course they were rude about that. I work tomorrow but I was going to put my notice in her mailbox since she’s gone till Thursday.

Agreeeeeeeeee

Also check if your state is an at-will state, where you can walk out without any notice. I'm not saying you should do that right off the bat, but if after giving your two weeks notice they try to make your last two weeks there miserable, if you live in an at-will employment stats, you can walk out at any time without any advance notice and they can't do anything legally.

Honestly, I was just going to call out the rest of the week and give my notice saying that I’m not working for her next month. I’m just worried since she knows the vet I work for and love working for, she may say something to him. But I also don’t think that’s legal?

Honestly, I was just going to call out the rest of the week and give my notice saying that I’m not working for her next month. I’m just worried since she knows the vet I work for and love working for, she may say something to him. But I also don’t think that’s legal?
If she does, that’s uncouth & unprofessional behavior. It’s a she said, she said scenario but let your well liked boss make his own call. If he believes her, would you really want to continue working for him either? Food for thought :)

Reactions: 2 users
She also went on to tell me that I would probably not mak a good vet unless I learned to respect the people who have been in the field longer.
I'm quoting this because you keep saying she's saying you won't be a vet. But that's not what this means.

I agree that the review sucked and that the other techs make it a toxic environment. However, saying that if you can't respect others in the field, you won't be a good vet is pretty true. You will have to rely on techs to get your job done and a certain amount of humility is required. I'm not saying that you said any of those things, however, the vet giving the review is going off of what she was told. The bigger issue is the other techs IMO.

I know it hurts to have a bad review. And I do think if those techs are making your life miserable you need to leave.

I'm quoting this because you keep saying she's saying you won't be a vet. But that's not what this means.

I agree that the review sucked and that the other techs make it a toxic environment. However, saying that if you can't respect others in the field, you won't be a good vet is pretty true. You will have to rely on techs to get your job done and a certain amount of humility is required. I'm not saying that you said any of those things, however, the vet giving the review is going off of what she was told. The bigger issue is the other techs IMO.

I know it hurts to have a bad review. And I do think if those techs are making your life miserable you need to leave.

If the bad review was warranted, I’d understand. It felt like it wasn’t even coming from her. One of the techs asked me how I did when my semester ended and rolled her eyes when I said my gpa. I absolutley understand that I can learn from these techs and I do not think I’m better than them. She also told me that her senior techs said I act like I’m scared of the animals, and I’m definitely not. They told her I only want to do what I want and not what we all have to do. Which again, was a lie. I do respect my coworkers, I’ve had no issues with this kind of stuff at my other job.

My major concern with quitting is that she’s out of town until Thursday. I’m scheduled to work tomorrow and Wednesday, outside of my availability, and I will not be going in. I’ve typed up a notice, but since she’s gone I was just going to leave it in her mailbox saying that unfortunately I will have to bring her the keys when she’s back in town. My mom really doesn’t want me working this week, because the extra stressed has caused my kidney problems to flare up and I’m miserable.

I genuinely am worried about her saying something to my other boss, no matter how I handle the situation.

I wouldn't worry too much about how this will impact your future.
First of all, you do not need to list her as a reference. If you choose to list it in your vet school apps, they will want to know why it was a short lived experience; just be honest about it. I worked at an emergency clinic for two weeks as an overnight kennel attendant and the job was way misrepresented to me, I tried to make it work, it didn't so I left w/o notice. Not saying I'm proud of it, but it is much more important to take care of yourself because that is way more likely to impact your future. And I have been honest about it, with vet schools and employers and no one has said anything to me about how I handled it once I explain the circumstances.

If it comes up naturally in a job or school interview, I would be willing to bet more likely than not you can explain the situation and they'll understand. No one expects you to work in a miserable environment, and they certainly shouldn't expect you to come trained. The joys of hiring someone that wants to be a vet, you get to mold, train, and watch them grow & succeed.

If the bad review was warranted, I’d understand. It felt like it wasn’t even coming from her. One of the techs asked me how I did when my semester ended and rolled her eyes when I said my gpa. I absolutley understand that I can learn from these techs and I do not think I’m better than them. She also told me that her senior techs said I act like I’m scared of the animals, and I’m definitely not. They told her I only want to do what I want and not what we all have to do. Which again, was a lie. I do respect my coworkers, I’ve had no issues with this kind of stuff at my other job.

My major concern with quitting is that she’s out of town until Thursday. I’m scheduled to work tomorrow and Wednesday, outside of my availability, and I will not be going in. I’ve typed up a notice, but since she’s gone I was just going to leave it in her mailbox saying that unfortunately I will have to bring her the keys when she’s back in town. My mom really doesn’t want me working this week, because the extra stressed has caused my kidney problems to flare up and I’m miserable.

I genuinely am worried about her saying something to my other boss, no matter how I handle the situation.

Quitting in these circumstances is tough and I imagine that your brain waves are firing and your stomach is twisting. It's okay, you'll see after you do it that it's okay. If you have never had any problems at the kennel before, do you really think if the Dr said something to your boss it would change anything?
Business is a funny thing; business owners have to learn how to mediate problems and separate personal from professional. He probably wouldn't be very successful if he was bad at doing so, which he'd have to be in order for it to effect your status there.

Quitting in these circumstances is tough and I imagine that your brain waves are firing and your stomach is twisting. It's okay, you'll see after you do it that it's okay. If you have never had any problems at the kennel before, do you really think if the Dr said something to your boss it would change anything?
Business is a funny thing; business owners have to learn how to mediate problems and separate personal from professional. He probably wouldn't be very successful if he was bad at doing so, which he'd have to be in order for it to effect your status there.

That’s what I was thinking as well. He knows her, she used to work for him. He knows that she treats her techs crappy. He just asked me not to talk about our hospital with them while I was over there, which was fine with me. Since she’s out of town I guess I’ll just stop by tomorrow with a notice and put it in her mailbox and then make sure I hand her the keys personally. I feel bad, but I’m not about to work another holiday weekend with techs that hate me and for someone who is belittling. I really dread finishing this week out. I’m not going to do it, I could pick up more hours this week at the other hospital I work at.

There is no reason quitting one job on bad terms should impact your relationship with your other boss, providing you are a good employee at that job. They won't fire you because someone else didn't like having you work for them.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no reason quitting one job on bad terms should impact your relationship with your other boss, providing you are a good employee at that job. They won't fire you because someone else didn't like having you work for them.

I really want to just go drop my keys and notice off tomorrow but I’m afraid she’ll say she never received the keys.

I really want to just go drop my keys and notice off tomorrow but I’m afraid she’ll say she never received the keys.
Why would that worry you? If you put it in her box that should be sufficient.

Even if they were lost they're not hard to replace, but I doubt they'll get lost and there is no reason for her to pretend she didn't receive them

I'm glad this thread is here! For the past year, I have been working at a clinic where I did not feel comfortable at all. The doctor I work for is largely impatient and expects me to be very quick and know everything, and that pressure causes me to perform less than my best. She constantly put me down and made me feel like a complete idiot for asking any questions whatsoever (after being told at first that "no question is stupid" -__-) There were many employees that quit because of our doctor and I stayed because I did not want to overburden some of our other techs with too many hours. Just recently I came up with the courage to finally put in my notice and leave, after multiple urging from my friends and family.
I cannot be happier and am counting down the days til I'm gone!

Why would that worry you? If you put it in her box that should be sufficient.

Even if they were lost they're not hard to replace, but I doubt they'll get lost and there is no reason for her to pretend she didn't receive them

She made me sign a paper when I got them, and then at the bottom there’s a line to sign when you return them. I know I’m screwing them over this week, but I’m hurting so bad. I have kidney disease and the stress from that clinic caused it to flare up. The crappy way I’ve been treated by the other techs and the doctor makes me not care about screwing them over this week. Me not showing up (I called out) makes me think that she will claim she never received the keys.

I'm glad this thread is here! For the past year, I have been working at a clinic where I did not feel comfortable at all. The doctor I work for is largely impatient and expects me to be very quick and know everything, and that pressure causes me to perform less than my best. She constantly put me down and made me feel like a complete idiot for asking any questions whatsoever (after being told at first that "no question is stupid" -__-) There were many employees that quit because of our doctor and I stayed because I did not want to overburden some of our other techs with too many hours. Just recently I came up with the courage to finally put in my notice and leave, after multiple urging from my friends and family.
I cannot be happier and am counting down the days til I'm gone!

I honestly am dropping a envelope off tomorrow with the keys and a notice saying I will not be in again. They’ve given me such a hard time calling out this week, knowing that I have serious kidney issues. I’m glad you told me this, I knew other clinics were bad like this one, but I don’t like screwing people over!

You could always use the excuse of your health when you put in your notice to avoid any more drama. The fact that they are giving you a hard time for your health is pretty BS in the first place.

I TOTALLY know how you feel. I was in a similar situation last year where I felt like crying every day because I wasn't getting trained adequately but kept getting in trouble for doing things the wrong way. On my first day of work the owner of the practice complained to me about one of the other assistants (red flag much?). When I decided to put in my notice, I brought it up to the other doctor of the practice first (who was also pretty new to the practice, and was the one who had hired me) and she encouraged me to talk to the owner first to see if there was anything they could do. And when I did that, it was so clear that I needed to leave - the owner turned my conversation about how I wasn't happy there to be about how she wasn't happy with my performance and she thought I wasn't motivated. Hello I'm trying to get into vet school and there is seriously something wrong with anyone who thinks I'm not motivated.

GTFO! Don't worry about your other boss. Your relationship with that boss/practice is entirely different than this horrible place, and the work they see you do there is much more valid and valuable info from them than some crappy doctoring who might complain about you. You could always bring it up to your other boss directly, and let him/her know you're leaving the other place. Them hearing it from you first should make that a better situation.

You could always use the excuse of your health when you put in your notice to avoid any more drama. The fact that they are giving you a hard time for your health is pretty BS in the first place.

I TOTALLY know how you feel. I was in a similar situation last year where I felt like crying every day because I wasn't getting trained adequately but kept getting in trouble for doing things the wrong way. On my first day of work the owner of the practice complained to me about one of the other assistants (red flag much?). When I decided to put in my notice, I brought it up to the other doctor of the practice first (who was also pretty new to the practice, and was the one who had hired me) and she encouraged me to talk to the owner first to see if there was anything they could do. And when I did that, it was so clear that I needed to leave - the owner turned my conversation about how I wasn't happy there to be about how she wasn't happy with my performance and she thought I wasn't motivated. Hello I'm trying to get into vet school and there is seriously something wrong with anyone who thinks I'm not motivated.

GTFO! Don't worry about your other boss. Your relationship with that boss/practice is entirely different than this horrible place, and the work they see you do there is much more valid and valuable info from them than some crappy doctoring who might complain about you. You could always bring it up to your other boss directly, and let him/her know you're leaving the other place. Them hearing it from you first should make that a better situation.

They were like “we need a doctors note that specified that this is kidney issues”. I’m pretty sure all they legally have to have is that I was seen by my physician, not my diagnosis. Well I didn’t even ask my doctor to give me a note because I decided I was done there when I saw her Friday. Well I also decided the other day that I’m typing up a notice, and putting my keys in the envelope and leaving them there. She has done nothing but be condescending to me. She also told me that I’m not motivated and as someone who wants to be a vet, I need to show more enthusiasm. I was like....how do you show enthusiasm in a workplace where your coworkers have decided they don’t like you already? They would not train me. She uses minimal restraint for cats, and that makes me anxious. Any cat has the potential to be fractious, I know you can do a lot with minimal restraint, but I’m gonna need my hands! Well then she told me I would lose my job as a vet being scared of cats like that. It’s not that I’m scared of the cat, I’m comfortable restraining them. Just not minimally. So I got yelled at for that. Just so discouraging.

I love the other practice I work at. The doctors that own the practice can be moody, but not like the one where I’m quitting at. Just astonishes me that she told me I need to learn to respect other techs and work like a team, yet she does nothing but belittle us. I’m just so done. I’m glad I’m not the only one that has experienced this. I don’t want her to taint my resume but I can always just not put her on. I haven’t even been there 3 months yet.

Last edited:
They were like “we need a doctors note that specified that this is kidney issues”. I’m pretty sure all they legally have to have is that I was seen by my physician, not my diagnosis. Well I didn’t even ask my doctor to give me a note because I decided I was done there when I saw her Friday. Well I also decided the other day that I’m typing up a notice, and putting my keys in the envelope and leaving them there. She has done nothing but be condescending to me. She also told me that I’m not motivated and as someone who wants to be a vet, I need to show more enthusiasm. I was like....how do you show enthusiasm in a workplace where your coworkers have decided they don’t like you already? They would not train me. She uses minimal restraint for cats, and that makes me anxious. Any cat has the potential to be fractious, I know you can do a lot with minimal restraint, but I’m gonna need my hands! Well then she told me I would lose my job as a vet being scared of cats like that. It’s not that I’m scared of the cat, I’m comfortable restraining them. Just not minimally. So I got yelled at for that. Just so discouraging.

I love the other practice I work at. The doctors that own the practice can be moody, but not like the one where I’m quitting at. Just astonishes me that she told me I need to learn to respect other techs and work like a team, yet she does nothing but belittle us. I’m just so done. I’m glad I’m not the only one that has experienced this. I don’t want her to taint my resume but I can always just not put her on. I haven’t even been there 3 months yet.

IMO, that's enough reason to up and quit right there. If she doesn't value your safety (or her own, apparently), or respect when you know what amount of restraint is appropriate, it no longer becomes an acceptable situation. If she wants to minimally restrain cats, then she & her techs can get bit/scratched. You GTFO as fast as you can. Nothing is worth the physical trauma of a cat bite, or a scratch going bad.

IMO, that's enough reason to up and quit right there. If she doesn't value your safety (or her own, apparently), or respect when you know what amount of restraint is appropriate, it no longer becomes an acceptable situation. If she wants to minimally restrain cats, then she & her techs can get bit/scratched. You GTFO as fast as you can. Nothing is worth the physical trauma of a cat bite, or a scratch going bad.

You might want to start doing some research because minimal restraint and fear free practice is becoming a huge thing in veterinary medicine. And, no, you're not any more likely to get bit or scratched doing it that way. If you don't feel comfortable with it, you learn it, just like you did with scuffing cats and more "hands on" restraint.

Reactions: 11 users
Be an adult and give two weeks notice. If the vet isn’t in the office, they have an email.

“I appreciate the opportunity but need to inform you officially that I will be resigning as of x/x/x. If you need to transition ealier I can accomote that as well. Keys will be returned on my last day as agreed or earlier if instructed.

Thank you,
X”

They would not train me. She uses minimal restraint for cats, and that makes me anxious. Any cat has the potential to be fractious, I know you can do a lot with minimal restraint, but I’m gonna need my hands! Well then she told me I would lose my job as a vet being scared of cats like that. It’s not that I’m scared of the cat, I’m comfortable restraining them. Just not minimally. So I got yelled at for that. Just so discouraging.

If they are not training you to properly use these techniques then that is unacceptable. Nor should they expect you to be an expert in a short period of time.

That being said, low stress handling/minimal restraint/fear free is important (and something I’m very passionate about lol) and something I highly suggest you open your mind to because it will likely be the standard of care as time progresses (arguably it is now). Lots of people aren’t comfortable with cats early on, and that’s okay, just realize that restraining every cat to the fullest extent for everything is definitely trending out of favor, for good reasons.

The OP specifically said in her post that she doesn’t have much experience with restraint, so I think it’s fair to say that she doesn’t know what amount of restraint is necessarily appropriate for what animal. Low stress handling is a big deal, dare I say, especially for cats. Incorporating low stress techniques is not under-valuing the OP’s safety, on the contrary, less if often more with cats, and the doctor has a responsibility to her staff as well as her patient’s well-being.

You might want to start doing some research because minimal restraint and fear free practice is becoming a huge thing in veterinary medicine. And, no, you're not any more likely to get bit or scratched doing it that way. If you don't feel comfortable with it, you learn it, just like you did with scuffing cats and more "hands on" restraint.

1000% this.

Okay. I’ll step off my cat-loving soapbox;)

Reactions: 8 users
Ok, I suppose that’s all fair. I was coming off a day full of aggressive cats that all needed chemical restraint to even be touched, so maybe that was informing what I said. And, admittedly, I have only been a tech for a year, so I certainly have a lot to learn, even more so about fear-free practices and restraint techniques. But I worry about a vet or a senior tech that doesn’t take the time to explain WHY minimal restraint is used, and to explain how to do it. And I worry if a technician doesn’t feel safe handling something - that should be taken seriously, as it affects the ability of that technician to keep everyone safe. Certainly people are more nervous around cats to begin with, especially if they haven’t been around them enough. But when a technician isn’t trained how to properly restrain using whatever technique the vet prefers, that’s a problem that can affect everyone’s safety, including the Pet.

I don’t mean to say that minimal restraint and fear-free techniques aren’t wonderful and innovative and definitely the way of the future - I think they’re awesome, and use the ones I know as much as possible. But fractious pets of ANY species are not something to be trifled with, and technicians should be trained in a way that keeps EVERYONE safe.

Haven't read all the replies so sorry if mentioned already:

You could tell the boss that you like that you're planning to leave the other job and hopefully get more hours at the clinic you like. I really doubt the grouchy boss will try to sabotage your position at the other place and even if she did, I really doubt your other boss would care much :shrug:

If she wanted me minimally restraining cats, than they needed to train me to do it. I expressed multiple times I was not comfortable with it and wanted to be shown and trained how to do it. If you’re not going to train your employees how to do exactly what you want safely, then you can’t expect them to do it. The way she had me doing it, I had no control over the cats head. Everytime I asked what she wanted, she would make fun of me and say I’m just scared. And that was not the case.

If they are not training you to properly use these techniques then that is unacceptable. Nor should they expect you to be an expert in a short period of time.

That being said, low stress handling/minimal restraint/fear free is important (and something I’m very passionate about lol) and something I highly suggest you open your mind to because it will likely be the standard of care as time progresses (arguably it is now). Lots of people aren’t comfortable with cats early on, and that’s okay, just realize that restraining every cat to the fullest extent for everything is definitely trending out of favor, for good reasons.

The OP specifically said in her post that she doesn’t have much experience with restraint, so I think it’s fair to say that she doesn’t know what amount of restraint is necessarily appropriate for what animal. Low stress handling is a big deal, dare I say, especially for cats. Incorporating low stress techniques is not under-valuing the OP’s safety, on the contrary, less if often more with cats, and the doctor has a responsibility to her staff as well as her patient’s well-being.

1000% this.

Okay. I’ll step off my cat-loving soapbox;)

I get plenty of hands on cat restraint at the other hospital I work at. But she wants every.single.animal restrained her way. And it doesn’t work for all animals. She doesn’t want scruff touched at all, even on the most fractious of cats. If they’re being bad, she asks the owner if she’s can sedate. I’m not comfortable with minimal restraint. I told her this. I understand it’s less stressful on the cat, but you have to actually train your employees.

Im very open minded to minimal restraint, there is no need to pin a dog to the ground if it’s not going to flip out. I wasn’t bashing minimal restraint techniques. I was pointing out that I’m not comfortable, and she didn’t care. Thought it was funny. Told me I’m too scared to be a vet. Which is ridiculous because I’m not scared of the animals at all. Just such an irritating situation in general at that clinic.

Ok, I suppose that’s all fair. I was coming off a day full of aggressive cats that all needed chemical restraint to even be touched, so maybe that was informing what I said. And, admittedly, I have only been a tech for a year, so I certainly have a lot to learn, even more so about fear-free practices and restraint techniques. But I worry about a vet or a senior tech that doesn’t take the time to explain WHY minimal restraint is used, and to explain how to do it. And I worry if a technician doesn’t feel safe handling something - that should be taken seriously, as it affects the ability of that technician to keep everyone safe. Certainly people are more nervous around cats to begin with, especially if they haven’t been around them enough. But when a technician isn’t trained how to properly restrain using whatever technique the vet prefers, that’s a problem that can affect everyone’s safety, including the Pet.

I don’t mean to say that minimal restraint and fear-free techniques aren’t wonderful and innovative and definitely the way of the future - I think they’re awesome, and use the ones I know as much as possible. But fractious pets of ANY species are not something to be trifled with, and technicians should be trained in a way that keeps EVERYONE safe.

My main frustration with the cat restraint, is that the senior tech in charge of training me on it could have cared less. I worked with her maybe 7 shifts, and she said maybe 5 words to me the whole time. It was so unwelcoming and the questions I asked got made fun of. That doesn’t happen to me at all at the other practice. The one doctor that owns it loves to teach. He will literally come and find me if he takes a rsdiograph that shows something interesting and explain it to me. When I talked to him about what was going on with the other job, he told me “you shouldn’t hire pre-vet and vet students if you do not want to answer their questions and explain what or why something is being done.” And I agree with him, I ask TONS ask tons of questions. So do all of our interns. We’re curious! I would’ve been comfortable with minimal restraint had I been trained on it. Simple as that.

Be an adult and give two weeks notice. If the vet isn’t in the office, they have an email.

“I appreciate the opportunity but need to inform you officially that I will be resigning as of x/x/x. If you need to transition ealier I can accomote that as well. Keys will be returned on my last day as agreed or earlier if instructed.

Thank you,
X”

I would easily do this but my doctors note put me out of work for the rest of the month, and I’m not working for her next month.

I would easily do this but my doctors note put me out of work for the rest of the month, and I’m not working for her next month.

I think this is the perfect time to send an email to her. I also think that email is a better way to submit a resignation letter - it's a paper trail. If these people are that mean, I wouldn't want to leave my keys and a note without physically handing it to the correct person. Just because you aren't scheduled doesn't mean you can't resign...send an email and set up a time to meet her to sign the keys back in.

To play devil's advocate and provide another perspective...we all get to a point in our training where in order to progress, you have to be put in a situation that makes you uncomfortable (sink or swim, right?). Regardless of what happens, you'll gain knowledge and be more prepared for your next uncomfortable situation. When people would train me this way, I wouldn't be told ahead of time that the situation was part of the training. Is this the only way to train people? No, certainly not. Being teachers, the staff should recognize this isn't working for you and adjust their methods. Unfortunately, teaching doesn't come easy to everyone.

Question for you all and I didn't want to make a new thread:

Idk if anyone remembers, but I left a horrific workplace right before vet school. Emotional and sometimes borderline physical abuse of employees, physical abuse of animals.

Well, someone who interviewed with them recently finally blasted them on social media with reports of what she witnessed and it already has 900 shares in less than 24hr. I have no doubt that all claims were true, as I witnessed the same stuff. Sounds like it's getting worse though. Can't say I would have taken it to social media, but I did go about my concerns in a more 'official' matter and was told I had no proof...

Anyways, would you guys take this clinic off your resume? Could being associated with this place (assuming this post really goes viral) affect me negatively?

Edit: Locally, the clinic already had a horrible reputation. When I interviewed for my summer job, the vet actually brought it up and kind of wanted to know if all the gossip was true. I handled it professionally, but if it was an issue locally before this FB post...

Idk if anyone remembers, but I left a horrific workplace right before vet school. Emotional and sometimes borderline physical abuse of employees, physical abuse of animals.

Well, someone who interviewed with them recently finally blasted them on social media with reports of what she witnessed and it already has 900 shares in less than 24hr. I have no doubt that all claims were true, as I witnessed the same stuff. Sounds like it's getting worse though. Can't say I would have taken it to social media, but I did go about my concerns in a more 'official' matter and was told I had no proof...

Anyways, would you guys take this clinic off your resume? Could being associated with this place (assuming this post really goes viral) affect me negatively?

Edit: Locally, the clinic already had a horrible reputation. When I interviewed for my summer job, the vet actually brought it up and kind of wanted to know if all the gossip was true. I handled it professionally, but if it was an issue locally before this FB post...

I would leave it on your resume for now. It may not have been a good experience but it was relevant experience in the field that fills a gap in time. As you’ve already done, just speak honestly about your time there and why you’re no longer with them if asked. I don’t believe anyone would think less of you for having worked there in the past.

I would leave it on your resume for now. It may not have been a good experience but it was relevant experience in the field that fills a gap in time. As you’ve already done, just speak honestly about your time there and why you’re no longer with them if asked. I don’t believe anyone would think less of you for having worked there in the past.
That was my initial thought too. Based on the FB posts, there's just a lot of "I can't believe previous employees let this happen" as well as other accusations against employees. None specify our names but I had a panic moment for sure. You'd hope that anyone hiring me in the future wouldn't go use a vague FB post to determine whether I may or may not have treated animals poorly.

That was my initial thought too. Based on the FB posts, there's just a lot of "I can't believe previous employees let this happen" as well as other accusations against employees. None specify our names but I had a panic moment for sure. You'd hope that anyone hiring me in the future wouldn't go use a vague FB post to determine whether I may or may not have treated animals poorly.

That is stressful. I think if I were in your shoes, I would leave it on the resume for now. You have had other positions at reputable clinics/organizations/etc since leaving that clinic, and thus other opportunities to prove yourself as a responsible, non-toxic human to both your peers and respected vets.

I agree with Jess in that if you are asked about it in an interview for some reason, you can be professionally honest about why you left that clinic, and emphasize what you learned from that experience. If they for some reason decide to use a vague FB post to infer whether you may have treated animals poorly during your time at that clinic, it's probably not somewhere you would want to work anyway.

You aren't the first person to have worked in a toxic clinic situation and then moved on to better things. That is a tough situation - but I bet you'll be just fine. :)

I think it speaks volumes that you left. Just quitting a toxic job can take a lot of courage. It’s not realistic to expect every lower level employee to be comfortable whistleblowing. It’s a ****ty position to be put into, especially when you have lots to lose if people don’t believe you or even if people do believe you. If someone wants to judge you for not doing more, screw ‘em. Dollars to donuts, most of those people would have done nothing if they were actually in that situation. At least you tried.

What you can do now is be supportive of people who do come forward with complaints against that clinic.

Apparently animal control got wind of this and is compiling statements and plans on taking this to court? I didn't know animal control would be involved in that regard.

I would leave it on your resume regardless but obviously wouldn't list anyone there as a reference.

Definitely animal control, not the ASPCA??

I don't usually think of AC as taking on big cases like that. Weird.
Yep, the county's AC is doing it. I found it strange too. Most of my coworkers have called and given their statements but tbh I really don't want to be called into court over something I left in the past. idk if that makes me a bad person or not. Most of the stories I have to share have already been told, I know that much.

idk if that makes me a bad person or not.

It doesn't. Your life is your life and if you feel comfortable with staying out of it, then do that. My sister did the same with a major case she was involved in. There are others willing to go; they can go. If the prosecution feels they need you, they'll contact you.

So now the clinic has sent a cease and desist letter to the girl who blasted them on FB. What I can't understand is why you'd be willing to take her to court when you know she's not lying and you know 100% of your old staff is backing up this girl's claims.

So now the clinic has sent a cease and desist letter to the girl who blasted them on FB. What I can't understand is why you'd be willing to take her to court when you know she's not lying and you know 100% of your old staff is backing up this girl's claims.

It's like a train wreck you can't look away from.