-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
TPR FL - how are they really?
Started by dartmed
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
10s on the TPR sciences is pretty solid, especially PS. The verbal is strange. I've gotten 10, 10, 7, 7, 12, 11 on TPR verbals and so far on AAMCs 3-8 i've gotten an 11 on every single one.
They're good for practice and learning but don't put too much stock in your scores.
They're good for practice and learning but don't put too much stock in your scores.
10s on the TPR sciences is pretty solid, especially PS. The verbal is strange. I've gotten 10, 10, 7, 7, 12, 11 on TPR verbals and so far on AAMCs 3-8 i've gotten an 11 on every single one.
They're good for practice and learning but don't put too much stock in your scores.
Ok, cool. I might cover my weaknesses and do two more FLs before doing AAMCs 8-11. 3 more weeks! Ahh!
Ok, for those who have used these tests, how hard are these tests? I have been scoring around 10/11s on the sciences and 5/6s on verbal. This scares me. I took the test once and I got an 8 in verbal on the actual thing. I hope I am not getting stupider.
Anyone comparing their TPR scores to their AAMC scores?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, I wouldn't. TPR science is more of what-you-know while AAMC seems to be a bit more "apply this info".
I took AAMC 3 in June and got a 29. The two TPRs I took before and after I got 21 and 25.
If you're hitting 10s in TPR science, you are doing pretty well. Verbal can be strange but I would honestly just say to compare AAMC to AAMC in that sense.
I took AAMC 3 in June and got a 29. The two TPRs I took before and after I got 21 and 25.
If you're hitting 10s in TPR science, you are doing pretty well. Verbal can be strange but I would honestly just say to compare AAMC to AAMC in that sense.
ps and bs tpr expect you to know details, whereas aamc tests seem to give you info in the passage or question stem (as someone earlier said, aamc is more application). in some ways, tpr is good for drilling in those details, because it could come in handy and save you time.
no comment on vr because i think it's difficult on both tpr and aamc (i don't normally do well in this section).
no comment on vr because i think it's difficult on both tpr and aamc (i don't normally do well in this section).
Did you already take the MCAT? If yes...How would you compare the MCAT with TPR FL? My last TPR(4) FL score was (10PS, 5VR, 10BS)...Can I expect to get a 27+ on the actual test?I thought the TPR FLs were great tests. I felt that even the verbal was great on those tests. I did tests 1-5
12 in VR on TPR...TPR VR is weird...Anyway, your TPR score seems to be in line with AAMC average except for PS, which I think is more difficult than AAMC PS IMO.From what i've heard, TPR tests are not very representative of the real MCAT but are good practice especially in the science sections.
FWIW I got an 8/12/11 on TPR 4 and now I am averaging 10.5/11/10.75 over AAMCs 4-8.
Pretty much.12 in VR on TPR...TPR VR is weird...Anyway, your TPR score seems to be in line with AAMC average except for PS, which I think is more difficult than AAMC PS IMO.
My TPR verbal scores in order went: 10 10 7 7 12 11
My AAMC is pretty consistent so it's pretty clear that once you get used to the AAMC verbal it should stay around the same.
The TPR PS was absolutely way harder than AAMC PS....however the TPR BS is about the same. It can be easier if you know the topics but AAMC requires a bit more thinking compared to TPR's regurgitation.
Did you already take the MCAT? If yes...How would you compare the MCAT with TPR FL? My last TPR(4) FL score was (10PS, 5VR, 10BS)...Can I expect to get a 27+ on the actual test?
I took the 8/10 test. The real mcat has longer passages in vr but I felt like Tpr accurately represented the tests in the same way the aamc tests do. My ps score fluctuated the most but by the time I sat for the test my aamc average and Tpr averages were the same. I might be a weirdo though...
How you think you did in the actual test?I took the 8/10 test. The real mcat has longer passages in vr but I felt like Tpr accurately represented the tests in the same way the aamc tests do. My ps score fluctuated the most but by the time I sat for the test my aamc average and Tpr averages were the same. I might be a weirdo though...
How you think you did in the actual test?
I always feel like I did terribly after each test so I can't say. I do know that my nerves got the better of me though
My highest on both sciences so far is 13, but my lowest was 9 for PS. For verbal I fluctuate from 6-8.
TBH, I feel like the bio is mostly memorization and POE is really easy on it. PS is memorization with calculation. Verbal is just full of boring, monotonous passages, the science type passages are interesting but tricky since they can trick you into thinking something not implied in the passage.
TBH, I feel like the bio is mostly memorization and POE is really easy on it. PS is memorization with calculation. Verbal is just full of boring, monotonous passages, the science type passages are interesting but tricky since they can trick you into thinking something not implied in the passage.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad