TPR FL1 CP 5 How does gas expand without doing work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThujaOccidentalis

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The passage literally says "work done by the system [expansion] is positive", which is why I chose positive.

The question stem does mention ideal gas, but I still can't mentally grasp how gas magically expands without doing any work on the environment...I mean it is EXPANDING. Would someone please give me sort of a step by approach/reasoning?

EDIT: This is under adiabatic conditions. I understand that Q is zero, but still can't grasp how W is zero when the gas is physically expanding.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.36.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.36.04 PM.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 41
The passage literally says "work done by the system [expansion] is positive", which is why I chose positive.

The question stem does mention ideal gas, but I still can't mentally grasp how gas magically expands without doing any work on the environment...I mean it is EXPANDING. Would someone please give me sort of a step by approach/reasoning?

EDIT: This is under adiabatic conditions. I understand that Q is zero, but still can't grasp how W is zero when the gas is physically expanding.
Can you screenshot the last sentence of the passage, as indicated in the key?

Well, we don't have the passage but one way is expanding against a vacuum. Since W = P*delta V where P is the external pressure (i.e. the pressure against which the gas expands), when a gas expands against a vacuum, P(ext) = 0 and therefore W = 0. If that expansion is adiabatic as well, then the change in energy is 0 as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks aldol16, that makes sense. Also, here is the last sentence.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 10.31.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 10.31.26 AM.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 33