Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

TPR G-CHEM Question

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by msw27, May 8, 2008.

1. msw27

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

On page 455, number 9-7 of the TPR physical sciences book (2007 version), would anyone mind helping me derive where the enthalpy values that they plugged into the equation came from? Thanks:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scottyT

scottyT Real Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    For those without the book the question is like this:

What is the dH for the following reaction under standard conditions?
    CH4(g) + 2O2(g) --> CO2(g) + 2H2O (l)

I have the 2005 edition and I think it's have the same example. I think they are using standard values from some unmentioned table. I remember that I had to look this sort of stuff up when I needed it in college. I don't believe you can figure out the enthalpy of formation for the substances in the equation without outside information like a table of enthalpies or some other equations that you could balance (except for O2, that's zero b/c it's a pure substance in it's natural state). Please someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

It's especially confusing because they have the enthalpy of formation for CO2 as -393kJ/mol in the problem and they have it as -394kJ/mol on the preceding page. I looked up that enthalpy on wikipedia and they have it as -393.5 kJ/mol.

4. msw27

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I ended up doing the same thing, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. I appreciate your help:)