TPR Hyperlearning Online Reviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Achilles575

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am currently debating whether I should self-study for the mcat or sign up for the Princeton Review Hyperlearning ONLINE course. The course is covers 105 hours of MCAT review and comes with a good amount of prep books. However, this course costs $1899.

Has anyone taken this course? If so, what are your thoughts? It is worth the money or should I just buy the TPR prep books and self-study??

Members don't see this ad.

If you did well in your pre-requisites, then you probably don't need to take a course. The TPR books are excellent, however you should also be sure to find the hyperlearning workbook, as it is vital to doing well if using TPR. You may also want to consider the berkeley review, which is very popular on SDN. Also, TPR's bio book is far too detailed. Most people on SDN recommend Examkrackers for biology.

You may also want to consider the berkeley review, which is very popular on SDN. Also, TPR's bio book is far too detailed. Most people on SDN recommend Examkrackers for biology.
Do these things. Forget your TPR, get TBR. And EK Bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it over the summer and found it to be pretty good. I'm surprised that they raised the price of the online class so high. It was roughly $200 cheaper that the classroom one, plus there was a $200 coupon I had, so it was a deal breaker

Basically, you download a blackboard program they provide and it just consists of a chatroom with a white screen where the instructor just writes. As they say, its live so you get immediate feedback when your stuck on something. (You can talk via headset, but everyone in our class just typed our questions in the chat window).

As far as the provided materials,you get exactly the materials that the classroom course gets (ie. hyperlearning books and online student center, identical lecture curriculum). However if you miss a class by any reason, they provide older pre-recorded lectures from other teachers on the student center website, not to mention that your instructors usually record every lecture they do, so they can email you a link for watching them (Only my bio instructor didn't send links, since he was teaching quite a bit of classes).

The instructors for each subject were very qualified, all had either PhD's or were grad students, and all had taken the mcat. Apparently the quality of the teachers is the thing that varies the most, but it seems this is also the case for the classroom courses.

With the exception to the variability of instructors, the only problem I can think of I had was the connection lag when asking questions, but even this was really minor and it only happened with our bio teacher

Another thing I didn't like was the verbal lectures, but that because I hated princeton's take on VR. Skipping passages was not a strategy i wanted to do. Again this is based on TPR's verbal method and not the online component

As the previous poster said, If you feel you can self-study the material and are focused enough, go that route. If you don't consider this. I decided to to both (wasteful in hindsight) since I had my whole summer free, and I wanted to alleviate any doubt about whether I'd do better with a prep company. They give you a good amount of work, so you probably shouldn't do another study plan concurrently like I did.

Shoot me any questions if you want/need to

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for feedback. I just had to ask this question because its like 50/50 for people who say you need the course and people who say its a waste of money.

I was looking at TPR because it looked like it had a lot of practice material. But I'm going to look into getting the TBR books.

I was considering paying the price for the course because I feel like i may need instruction when reviewing physics. Although I have done well in all of my pre-requisites, physics wasn't my favorite nor best subject to recall.

Thank you guys for feedback. I just had to ask this question because its like 50/50 for people who say you need the course and people who say its a waste of money.

I was looking at TPR because it looked like it had a lot of practice material. But I'm going to look into getting the TBR books.

I was considering paying the price for the course because I feel like i may need instruction when reviewing physics. Although I have done well in all of my pre-requisites, physics wasn't my favorite nor best subject to recall.

use internet videos ... they can be usually better than classroom teachers :rolleyes:

the good thing is, you can't really go wrong when choosing materials, self-studying, or using a prep company. The important thing is how you use what ever you've got.

If your worried about instruction in physics, khan academy, freelance teach, and chad's videos are pretty useful. I used khan for a couple physics topics I feel strongly with, and found them pretty useful

Though it's plastered all over the MCAT forums and you've probably seen it but, if you decide to self study using TBR, check out SN2ed's schedule. It uses TBR for the most part and it's fairly demanding. However it makes you revisit topics that you did in the begining of studies, something that i didn't really see when doing the TPR hyperlearning. Not to mention the hatrick thing was really helpful for integration of multiple topics

the good thing is, you can't really go wrong when choosing materials, self-studying, or using a prep company. The important thing is how you use what ever you've got.

If your worried about instruction in physics, khan academy, freelance teach, and chad's videos are pretty useful. I used khan for a couple physics topics I feel strongly with, and found them pretty useful

Though it's plastered all over the MCAT forums and you've probably seen it but, if you decide to self study using TBR, check out SN2ed's schedule. It uses TBR for the most part and it's fairly demanding. However it makes you revisit topics that you did in the begining of studies, something that i didn't really see when doing the TPR hyperlearning. Not to mention the hatrick thing was really helpful for integration of multiple topics
I'm here to confirm everything in this post. :thumbup: Nothing else to add, all has been said. Do the stuff listed above, hard work, but if you do it...you'll get results.