Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey everyone, I'm self studying for the 5/8 exam beginning at the new year and am considering what materials to use. My main question is what is the TPR hyperlearning books? Are they review books or just a bunch of practice problems/passages? Are they different than the regular TPR books? If they are different then what is the difference between the two? Thanks everyone for the help in trying to understand this!

Jjkwest1

5+ Year Member
May 4, 2010
Status
The hyperlearning books that are broken into different subjects (ie. bio, ochem, physics, gen chem) are basically reviews books that contain some practice problems at the end of every chapter. These review books that you receive when you take the TPR class are the same as the ones you buy in book stores. There's also a huge workbook that contains hundreds of practice problems with passages but you cannot buy them from the bookstore. Instead you either sign up for the class and they give them to you or you buy them from someone who has them (try ebay). If you're going to be mainly using the TPR book, then you need to get that huge science workbook, since practice is probably more important than pure content review.

OP
J
Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So do you only get the hyperlearning books when you sign up for a TPR class (other than finding one on eBay or amazon of course)? I'm just really confused as to what the difference is between the hyperlearning books and the typical TPR books that I find at Barnes and Noble.

Jjkwest1

5+ Year Member
May 4, 2010
Status
The TPR books (NOT the cracking the MCAT book) that you find in Barnes and Noble are the subject review books that are exactly the same as the ones that are provided when you take the course. But, for the TPR course you also get a verbal workbook filled with a good amount of passage problems and a big science workbook . these 2 books are what's highly recommended from TPR although the subjects books are also very good.

Reactions: shahcoco

turayza

5+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2012
Status
Medical Student
The TPR books (NOT the cracking the MCAT book) that you find in Barnes and Noble are the subject review books that are exactly the same as the ones that are provided when you take the course. But, for the TPR course you also get a verbal workbook filled with a good amount of passage problems and a big science workbook . these 2 books are what's highly recommended from TPR although the subjects books are also very good.
Do you know what the difference between the subject review books and the cracking the MCAT book is? Is Cracking just all the subject review books stuffed into one giant book?

Jjkwest1

5+ Year Member
May 4, 2010
Status
I never used the cracking MCAT book but some of my friends have and IIRC the cracking book contains all of the subjects for review but the information was of lesser quality than the individual subject books. the cracking book was very barebones while the individual subject books made sure to go into a little more detail (which I thought was the perfect amount of detail compared to other review books). Thus if I were you I would get the individual subject books over the cracking book.