TPR MCAT In-class Compedium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope48

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to buy this book from a friend. Is this book good practice for the real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say no. It does cover a lot of material, but all the passages/questions are WAY harder than the real MCAT. But it's good if you're looking for a challenge.

I was going to buy this book from a friend. Is this book good practice for the real MCAT?

If you're going to spend money, in my opinion there are much more useful materials out there. I found the compendium to be sort of a waste of time, and not indicative of the actual test.

I have the compendium and I've stopped using it. To me, it's almost detrimental because the passages are so difficult and obscure that I feel demoralized at the end of each one. It might be a good tool if you're scoring over 10 in each section and you want to kick it up a notch, but not a great basic book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet would probably be to buy our friend the science workbook. Just my 2/100 of a dollar. :D

Booji

Don't buy it.

The passages are out dated and beyond the difficulty of the MCAT. You'll just want to slit your wrists with the pages after you do a few.

Yes the science workbook is better practice for the MCAT.

Yes the science workbook is better practice for the MCAT.

I don't find the science workbook all that helpful, because each passage specifically deals with one corresponding chapter in the book, possibly two. This in my opinion makes it a poor way to practice for a test that consists of being able to incorporate knowledge from many chapters for any given passage. I myself have been doing a lot better on the science workbook passages than I have been on the actual full length diagnostics or even aamc tests. :confused: Just my 2 pennies

I'm goig to disagree with the majority of the people on here. I think the In class compendium is really great at getting you to think about the passages rather then just doing passages that are really simple. The problem with the ICC is that many people don't have the solutions to it unless they were part of the course and the teacher gave them the solutions, are a professor for the tpr and hence have the solutions, or found some other means to get the solutions. They have the answers just not the explanations since the ICC is meant as a teaching tool for the instructors teaching the actual TPR course.

I personally found the ICC to be a good practice tool for teh sciences.

I also found the workbook to be extremely helpful.
that said what I think is the downside of both is it is not in the form of a practice test like Kaplan topicals are which means it is only good as a teaching tool in terms of using it to drill in concepts whereas Kaplan's topical and subject tests are written like an actual test so you can use them for strategical practice as well in that you can time them as if you were taking an actual section of the test.