TPR Review Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orgophilic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I take the MCAT in August and I've been a long time SDN follower but this is my first post...anyways, I have the TPR review books for physics, chemistry, and biology (not the Hyperlearning set, just the normal content review books) and I was wondering how the difficulty of the "end of chapter passage/questions" stack up to the real thing. I have a strong background in physics and chemistry, but I find the chapter review questions to be quite challenging. Is this normal? I know TPR tends to make their review materials and questions a little harder than the real thing, but I was just wondering what you all thought. Any input would be great, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are the books you're talking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Revie...7953/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1309553569&sr=8-7

If it is, the content review portion of the book is the same as that provided for TPRH. I think, but I don't know for sure, that the passages are the same as those in TPRH Workbooks. For the workbooks, there generally aren't complaints about it being overly difficult compared to the current MCAT. You probably just need some more work in the areas you find challenging.

I haven't taken the actual MCAT, so I can't say for sure, but I also found the questions at the end of the chapters in those books to be challenging. They were definitely harder than the TPRH workbook passages.

i agree. i am currently using those books for content review and i also find the end of chapter questions a bit challenging.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I take the MCAT in August and I've been a long time SDN follower but this is my first post...anyways, I have the TPR review books for physics, chemistry, and biology (not the Hyperlearning set, just the normal content review books) and I was wondering how the difficulty of the "end of chapter passage/questions" stack up to the real thing. I have a strong background in physics and chemistry, but I find the chapter review questions to be quite challenging. Is this normal? I know TPR tends to make their review materials and questions a little harder than the real thing, but I was just wondering what you all thought. Any input would be great, thanks!

Hey, I recently took my MCAT and I was THRILLED with my science scores (14 BS, 12 PS), but unfortunately I bombed verbal so hard that it warranted a retake. To be honest, the reason why I scored high was very much thanks to TPR. I also used EK but I preferred TPR a lot more.

Speaking from my first MCAT experience, TPR physics and chem were definitely much much harder. Biology and Orgo are par.

The harder the better. Trust me. Also try getting the Hyperlearning Science Workbook. Worked wonders. A month not studying, and I remember 90% of my material. I'm scheduled for a retake soon. I hate verbal!

I had the same issue. Now i have taken the MCAT and got good enough score to get in my advice is as follows:

Do not do the physics or biology problems. Stick to Exam krackers or berkely for passages. The chemistry problems especially acid/base, solubility etc very relevant.

Focus on the AAMC practice tests especially 11. Know molecular biology and genetics. Verbal just practice. For me it just suddenly clicked although no idea why, eventually you can tell when its the wrong answer.

hope this helps!

I'm also using TPR Review materials (while taking the course) and the TPRH Science Workbook... although I havn't taken the MCAT yet I also find the end of the chapter freestanding questions and passages to be difficult but I feel that they're great at helping with tough concepts...

Does anyone know how helpful the TPRH Science Workbook is? I've been doing a good amount of the homework for my course in the science workbook along with using TPR review books for content review and I wonder how well these materials will prepare me for my August MCAT.