TPR science workbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uthopeful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what you guys thought about the tpr science workbook. I have doing some of the passages and they seem pretty simple compared to the stuff I have from kaplan. For those of you that used it and have already taken the MCAT what is your take?

Members don't see this ad.

For those that think it is easy.. that's a bunch of bull. The independent passages are pretty chill, but the passages are pretty hard if you ask me, especially in Gchem and physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not a bunch of bull, if you go over the chapter prior to doing the workbook, and do the in-chapter problems and then tackle the workbook it is not hard. I found the real MCAT much more difficult conceptually than TPR workbook. The workbook has more calculations (much easier IMHO) than the real MCAT. Different strokes for different folks.

I've taken the MCAT too and I thought they were right on target, if anything a little longer than the real MCAT passages. TPR seems to be in to giving a lot of information. I'm glad it was easy for you.. but then again, I'm retaking it for a reason.

Even doing all the reading, and in class problems, I find myself struggling with it.

I never said they were easy, i said they were simple. I am taking kaplan and there passages are very complex. Both tpr and kaplan are testing the same concepts but it seems like the tpr workbook presents it in a very straighforward manner where as kaplan makes the passages complicated.

For me, I get all caught up with complicated details, even though I know its not very relevant to the questions. The tpr workbook seems to shoot you straight, and thats why I think it much simpler.

Since I have not taken the mcat I don't know how complicated there passages are, I am assuming its probably in between the two. I think if your shaky on some concepts tpr science workbook would be good to understand the concepts but if you know the concepts cold i think more complicated passages like kaplans topiclas or ek's passages would better practice. What do you guys think.

Originally posted by efex101
Hmmm, what exactly are you struggling with? is it a specific subject, reading com, calc? if it is calc I can PM you some tips that may save you some time...

Hi efex101,

I'm in desperate need of some time saving tips. Could you care to share with me as well? Thanks :)

The TPR workbook is definately a good foundation review of your basic sciences. It presents basic science concepts in a variety of ways, which is great to make sure you know your stuff. Kaplan Topicals are to be tackled only after you have a good grasp on the material. The topicals are difficult and are used to hone your critical thinking skills. IMHO, they are in not to be used for learning your sciences.

In short, TPR is good for learning your stuff - Kaplan topicals assume that you know your stuff and test how you can apply it.

I find that the TPR books have a broad range of difficulty-some passages are more difficult than others even though they may deal with the same subject.

efex101, I would love some time saving tips too! Thanks!