Trach Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many will consider this topic of micro importance but what securing devices/techniques are used in training programs around the country for tracheostomy.

Most everyone I know sutures the trach flanges to the skin of the neck but then others use a trach tie while some use a velcrow strap. What do you all do/use and why? Has anyone seen a complication directly tied to tracheostomy securing technique?

Members don't see this ad.

esclavo said:
I know many will consider this topic of micro importance but what securing devices/techniques are used in training programs around the country for tracheostomy.

Most everyone I know sutures the trach flanges to the skin of the neck but then others use a trach tie while some use a velcrow strap. What do you all do/use and why? Has anyone seen a complication directly tied to tracheostomy securing technique?
We usually suture the flanges and place a velcro strap when we do them for chronic respiratory failure patients. We take the sutures out after a week.

When we do our free flap reconstructions after RND, we cut off the flanges, then suture the remaining part of the Shiley to the neck. We cut the flanges to discourage an overzealous nurse from putting on a necktie. We remove the sutures to change to a cuffless Shiley between 5-7 days post-op, and we'll usually start allowing neck ties on the free flap patients after that. Occasionally, we've changed the Shiley to a cuffless, and then re-sutured the collar on free flap patients to avoid the necktie for a little longer.

OMFSCardsFan said:
We usually suture the flanges and place a velcro strap when we do them for chronic respiratory failure patients. We take the sutures out after a week.

When we do our free flap reconstructions after RND, we cut off the flanges, then suture the remaining part of the Shiley to the neck. We cut the flanges to discourage an overzealous nurse from putting on a necktie. We remove the sutures to change to a cuffless Shiley between 5-7 days post-op, and we'll usually start allowing neck ties on the free flap patients after that. Occasionally, we've changed the Shiley to a cuffless, and then re-sutured the collar on free flap patients to avoid the necktie for a little longer.

So do you use neck ties or vecrow when you finally remove sutures on free flaps? I'm interested in some ENT resident input...

Members don't see this ad :)
esclavo said:
So do you use neck ties or vecrow when you finally remove sutures on free flaps? I'm interested in some ENT resident input...
Oh...usually a necktie, but only because it's what comes in the box...

Hi there,
When I was doing trachs at the VA hospital, I would suture the flanges. Outside of the VA, I just use trach ties for the first three days (with blue OR towels underneath) and then the Velcro holders after that. (We leave the ties in place for the first three days). I don't think that it really makes much difference as long as everything is secure.
njbmd :)

Respiratory failure:
*Shiley/Portex/Bivona
*Sutured flange to neck
*umbilical tie
*trach change 5-7 days, Velcro tie

OSA:
*Shiley
*Velcro or umbilical tie

Flaps:
*Shiley/Bivona
*Suture flange to skin
*No ties

Cric:
*Whatever tube is there
*suture to skin
*umbilical tape
*duct tape
*superglue
*hand restraints

Personally, I don't have a preference with respect to trach manufactures. Well, I probably like Portex the least. The whole inner cannula v. no inner cannula debate I find to be rather droll. It makes no difference if you have an appropriately sized tracheostomy relative to trachea size. I usually have 2 or 3 different trachs available before I decide on one. I usually suture an inferior flap in adults (you can argue against that if you're a big tracheal stenosis person). I'm fairly against cutting out windows or not doing any type of flap in adults -- it's just a bad idea. I'm not a big fan of cutting the flange either in any event. If I were there watching the patient all day, maybe I wouldn't have a problem with it...

OMFSCardsFan said:
When we do our free flap reconstructions after RND, we cut off the flanges, then suture the remaining part of the Shiley to the neck.

You guys still do radical necks???

OMFSCardsFan said:
More MRNDs...

Usually MRND, but RND when you have uberinvasive N3 dz.

As far as trachs go, we pretty much do what npboy listed above, except we usu use jackson trachs after after the first change on a nonventilated patient.

TheThroat said:
Usually MRND, but RND when you have uberinvasive N3 dz.

As far as trachs go, we pretty much do what npboy listed above, except we usu use jackson trachs after after the first change on a nonventilated patient.

I have a hard time finding good studies if ties or vecrow straps are superior when one is already suturing in the trach for the first 5-7 days. I guess that is my survey. Tie? Strap? Does it really matter if you are sewing it in anyways? Thanks to all who have responded. I wish more ENTs would chime in and tell which one they are using and why.

esclavo said:
I have a hard time finding good studies if ties or vecrow straps are superior when one is already suturing in the trach for the first 5-7 days. I guess that is my survey. Tie? Strap? Does it really matter if you are sewing it in anyways? Thanks to all who have responded. I wish more ENTs would chime in and tell which one they are using and why.

I'm having a hard time seeing why you are putting so much thought into this. We use the velcro strap primarily for confort and convienence. I put it on the trach after suturing and then when the suture come out, you don't have to hunt down a strap.

If I had to put a little thought behind it I would say the velcro would be superior at securing the trach since you can easily tighten it as it becomes loose.

esclavo said:

This is not a very important issue in the trach world.

Many head and neck surgeons have a "belt and suspenders" philosophy regarding trachs: They want to make the trach as secure as possible. Some people feel that if you tie the trach around the neck, the nurses won't be compelled to change it when it gets bloody or won't stretch if the patient is moved while on the vent. The drawback of ties is that if the patient gets edematous, they can dig into the neck. They also can get firm and crusty. And let's be honest, if the nurse wants to cut it he or she's going to cut it and replace it with a Velcro tie.

Members don't see this ad :)
neutropeniaboy said:
This is not a very important issue in the trach world.

Many head and neck surgeons have a "belt and suspenders" philosophy regarding trachs: They want to make the trach as secure as possible. Some people feel that if you tie the trach around the neck, the nurses won't be compelled to change it when it gets bloody or won't stretch if the patient is moved while on the vent. The drawback of ties is that if the patient gets edematous, they can dig into the neck. They also can get firm and crusty. And let's be honest, if the nurse wants to cut it he or she's going to cut it and replace it with a Velcro tie.

Thank you for your input. I agree that it can't be that important or clear if there is no clear evidence out there on the issue. I personally believe that if you are suturing that bad boy in then that becomes the real meat of your security. I've always felt the tie/strap is just secondary to the suturing... I just wanted to hear others opinion from others doing trachs to get an idea of national practice and justification for that practice. I appreciate all who have chimed in....

A couple of other tracheostomy tidbits...

As a general surgery resident I have done around 30 or so trachs with 5 different attendings. Depending on the attending, I'll either make a cruciate incision in the trachea, or cut a box-shaped piece of trachea to make access for the tube. Although I've asked and read about the difference between these two maneuvers with respect to outcome/wound healing (eventually the tube will come out in most of our patients) I've found no really satisfying answers. Any comments on this?

Additionally, one surgeon insists on stay sutures (usually 0-prolene) on each side of the tracheostomy. Is this common practice for ENT training, or no?

And finally, do you guys place betadine soaked gauze around the tube when you are done?

Celiac Plexus said:

As a general surgery resident I have done around 30 or so trachs with 5 different attendings. Depending on the attending, I'll either make a cruciate incision in the trachea, or cut a box-shaped piece of trachea to make access for the tube. Although I've asked and read about the difference between these two maneuvers with respect to outcome/wound healing (eventually the tube will come out in most of our patients) I've found no really satisfying answers. Any comments on this?

Additionally, one surgeon insists on stay sutures (usually 0-prolene) on each side of the tracheostomy. Is this common practice for ENT training, or no?

And finally, do you guys place betadine soaked gauze around the tube when you are done?

Our access or entry into the trachea is via a "Bjork Flap" which is a window access which remains attached on the inferior horizontal aspect. This is then sutured to the skin and steristripped to the chest. When we do the first change at one week, we remove this stitch. I've done the window technique, a single horizontal slit technique, the cruciate technique and the "T" technique. I still like the Bjork Flap the best especially in thick, fat, short necks where the trach is diving inferior and posterior. It makes for an easier trach change at one week. Especially when the patient is still on vent support with a ton of PEEP and that change has to be fast and error free. We don't place any betadine guaze around the trach at the end but if we had to plow through the thyroid and the patient is just kind of oozy, we'll pack surgicel around the trach.

esclavo said:
Our access or entry into the trachea is via a "Bjork Flap" which is a window access which remains attached on the inferior horizontal aspect.
Ditto here. That flap makes a nice little "ramp" for trach change-outs, accidental decannulation, etc.

Celiac Plexus said:

I don't like cruciate incisions because when you push the trach in, you push cartilaginous flaps into the airway, and if you get a chondritis, it can be a problem for the patient after decannulation in terms of stenosis.

I don't like cutting out windows because you have no security if the trach falls out later (i.e., the immediate post-op period before epithelialization). In addition to my own trachs, I've had to evaluate a lot of other trachs and be called to replace trachs that other services have placed. If you get a thick neck, all that tissue can collapse over the tracheotomy, and you can lose that little window you've made pretty easily. After you divide all the fascia and straps, you lose those tracheal attachments that draw the trachea anteriorly -- you can get a deep hole real fast. I just find that creating flaps -- whether Bjork, T-flaps, I-flaps, or whatever -- gives you more security.

Now there are some people that say Bjork flaps disrupt the blood supply to the midline since it's a circumferential blood supply, and that leads to A-frame stenosis of the trachea -- I don't see it, and I've done a lot of trachs and taken care of a lot of post ops. I won't hesitate to do a Bjork flap, except in a kid. Nevertheless, I still secure a pedi trach with stay sutures.

Always for me. But it's usually Tycron or Silk. Braided sutures are better in my opinion since they don't slide.

No. I don't see the point. It's a contaminated wound. You can't clean it, and I wouldn't want to get betadine in the trachea. Of all the trachs I've done, and my colleagues have done, we've had only a few cases of tracheitis or stomal infections.

Furthermore, unless there's some huge skin incision, which is rare, I don't close the skin either. Let's face it: If you need a trach, your concern isn't cosmesis.

Lastly: post-op CXRs? Never. Doesn't change your management. Pneumothorax -- very, very rare.

neutropeniaboy said:
I don't like cruciate incisions because when you push the trach in, you push cartilaginous flaps into the airway, and if you get a chondritis, it can be a problem for the patient after decannulation in terms of stenosis.

I don't like cutting out windows because you have no security if the trach falls out later (i.e., the immediate post-op period before epithelialization). In addition to my own trachs, I've had to evaluate a lot of other trachs and be called to replace trachs that other services have placed. If you get a thick neck, all that tissue can collapse over the tracheotomy, and you can lose that little window you've made pretty easily. After you divide all the fascia and straps, you lose those tracheal attachments that draw the trachea anteriorly -- you can get a deep hole real fast. I just find that creating flaps -- whether Bjork, T-flaps, I-flaps, or whatever -- gives you more security.

Now there are some people that say Bjork flaps disrupt the blood supply to the midline since it's a circumferential blood supply, and that leads to A-frame stenosis of the trachea -- I don't see it, and I've done a lot of trachs and taken care of a lot of post ops. I won't hesitate to do a Bjork flap, except in a kid. Nevertheless, I still secure a pedi trach with stay sutures.

Always for me. But it's usually Tycron or Silk. Braided sutures are better in my opinion since they don't slide.

No. I don't see the point. It's a contaminated wound. You can't clean it, and I wouldn't want to get betadine in the trachea. Of all the trachs I've done, and my colleagues have done, we've had only a few cases of tracheitis or stomal infections.

Furthermore, unless there's some huge skin incision, which is rare, I don't close the skin either. Let's face it: If you need a trach, your concern isn't cosmesis.

Lastly: post-op CXRs? Never. Doesn't change your management. Pneumothorax -- very, very rare.

This is a great post. I never thought of the circumferencial blood supply to the trachea itself. I guess an I flap would be superior then, but you'd need two sutures (stay sutures?) instead of one to stablize it to the skin of the stoma or do you just let your stay sutures float? Since we do 96% of the trachs in the hospital and the difference between my attendings isn't that great, I don't get exposed to some other techniques and methods... I'm going to try and get them to let me do an I flap... I've only seen one negative of our technique and it was a young girl who had her trach for a long time. She came back to the office 8 months after the trach (she had been in some long term ECF/Rehab) and she had completely healed her stoma site. The problem was when she swallowed the skin had attached to the trachea and it tugged and pulled as she swallowed. Had to do a revision procedure and put the strap muscles back together in the midline. Not that big of a deal I guess, better than stenosis procedures....

esclavo, npb, thanks for the replies.

Incidentally i did a couple of percutaneous tracheostomy placements this last week. Blue rhinos. Some of the ent attendings absolutely love these kits, and most of the general surgeons do not. I actually like the percutaneous approach. It was pretty fast, and there's no bovieing required. The tube fits snugly, and the whole thing is visualized via bronchoscopy. Whereas the average open tracheostomy takes 20-30 minutes to set up (takes a while to get the headlamps, and bovie machine set up in the ICU) and another 30-45 minutes to actually place (and leaning over the ICU beds are pretty hard on my lower back), and then another 5-10 minutes for cleanup, the percutaneous placements took about 10 minutes to set up, 10 minutes to do, and about 5 minutes to clean up. And plus, another resident gets a bronch out of it!

I felt a little uneasy bluntly stuffing the tube in, but I was able to have great visualization of what I was doing via bronchoscopy...

Are you guys placing many of these blue rhino kits? What's the general consensus from the ent camp as far as percutaneous placement of trachs. As I said, the ent department at my institution freakin' love these things.

Celiac Plexus said:
esclavo, npb, thanks for the replies.

Incidentally i did a couple of percutaneous tracheostomy placements this last week. Blue rhinos. Some of the ent attendings absolutely love these kits, and most of the general surgeons do not. I actually like the percutaneous approach. It was pretty fast, and there's no bovieing required. The tube fits snugly, and the whole thing is visualized via bronchoscopy. Whereas the average open tracheostomy takes 20-30 minutes to set up (takes a while to get the headlamps, and bovie machine set up in the ICU) and another 30-45 minutes to actually place (and leaning over the ICU beds are pretty hard on my lower back), and then another 5-10 minutes for cleanup, the percutaneous placements took about 10 minutes to set up, 10 minutes to do, and about 5 minutes to clean up. And plus, another resident gets a bronch out of it!

I felt a little uneasy bluntly stuffing the tube in, but I was able to have great visualization of what I was doing via bronchoscopy...

Are you guys placing many of these blue rhino kits? What's the general consensus from the ent camp as far as percutaneous placement of trachs. As I said, the ent department at my institution freakin' love these things.

Most of our staff don't like them, but for the thin, male patients (read: no huge thyroid isthmus to bugger up), a few of the staff will do a perc trach. Actually, the g-surg guys like them better than the otos. At the private hospital that we rotate at, the intensivist actually does them while the oto does the bronch. I swear it takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.

TheThroat said:
...Actually, the g-surg guys like them better than the otos. ...
Same here. But then again, there's a huge difference in how the traditional surgical trachs are done by these 2 services. I've never seen an ENT trach in the OR take more than 15 minutes from skin to inflating the trach balloon. Then I've sat through 3 general surgery trachs which took over an hour (one was 4 hours). But they are really quick with the blue rhinos....maybe this is why the general surgeons at my institution like the quick blue rhinos so much.

toofache32 said:
Same here. But then again, there's a huge difference in how the traditional surgical trachs are done by these 2 services. I've never seen an ENT trach in the OR take more than 15 minutes from skin to inflating the trach balloon. Then I've sat through 3 general surgery trachs which took over an hour (one was 4 hours). But they are really quick with the blue rhinos....maybe this is why the general surgeons at my institution like the quick blue rhinos so much.

That's interesting... Let me clarify... our general surgeons aren't doing trachs. The trauma/icu guys do though, and they/we do them in the ICU. I've never heard of one being done by our guys in the OR. It doesn't seem like an OR-worthy case to me.

A 4 hour trach you say... that's interesting. There isn't an attending at my institution who would put up with that. THe way we do it, is the senior resident on the service (pgy-3 or 4) takes the junior resident (pgy-1, or 2) through the case. The attending rarely scrubs.

Celiac Plexus said:
That's interesting... Let me clarify... our general surgeons aren't doing trachs. The trauma/icu guys do though, and they/we do them in the ICU. I've never heard of one being done by our guys in the OR. It doesn't seem like an OR-worthy case to me.

A 4 hour trach you say... that's interesting. There isn't an attending at my institution who would put up with that. THe way we do it, is the senior resident on the service (pgy-3 or 4) takes the junior resident (pgy-1, or 2) through the case. The attending rarely scrubs.
That's interesting to me also. All the general surgery trachs here are done in the OR (except the blue rhinos).

I don't really see the fascination with doing trachs from skin to airway in blazing speed. If you are in a controlled setting, then take your time to do it correctly.

15 minutes for a trach is fine, so is an hour. It depends. I've done trachs on 500 pounders that have taken just as long as those on the 98 pound weakling. It depends on the situation. Some people have more fat than others; some people have more readily identifiable landmarks, straps; some people have really ossified cartilage; sometimes you pop a cuff; sometimes you misjudge the size or length a trach is going to be. Some people divide the thyroid; some people never divide the thyroid. That always takes more time. Sometimes you encounter big ass AJs and crossing vessels; sometimes you see an ima artery or vein. Lots of factors can modify the time a trach takes.

I have done a 3 hour trach, but it was epithelial-lined for the mega-obese, combined with a DL and Bronch.

Some of our attendings are very hands on and some are very hands off as far as resident observation is concerned. I think that, overall, trachs are junior-level cases.

Our way for trachs:

Always open in OR...never perc trachs.

Always horizontal incision with Bjork for adults with no stay suture outside wound but one is placed from flap to sub-Q (chromic).

Usually vertical incision with parallel stay sutures (Prolene) for kids.

Always sutured to skin and velcro ties.

Always post-op CXR, which I agree is probably unnecessary.

First trach change on POD 3-7 days depending on attending.

I have heard of the betadine soaked gauze around the wound before. This one guy wasn't doing it for sterility, he was doing it to prevent the page from the nurse 12 hours later about blood from wound...the betadine would hide the color of the blood.

Open in OR (usually about 30-45 mins)

Horizontal incision with no stay suture

One doc uses prolene from tube to trachea, otherwise no stitches

Velcro round the neck

No CXR, but drain sponge or two

Fah-Q said:
he was doing it to prevent the page from the nurse 12 hours later about blood from wound...the betadine wound hide the color of the blood.

Heh. Awesome... :)

neutropeniaboy said:
I don't really see the fascination with doing trachs from skin to airway in blazing speed. If you are in a controlled setting, then take your time to do it correctly.

15 minutes for a trach is fine, so is an hour. It depends. I've done trachs on 500 pounders that have taken just as long as those on the 98 pound weakling. It depends on the situation. Some people have more fat than others; some people have more readily identifiable landmarks, straps; some people have really ossified cartilage; sometimes you pop a cuff; sometimes you misjudge the size or length a trach is going to be. Some people divide the thyroid; some people never divide the thyroid. That always takes more time. Sometimes you encounter big ass AJs and crossing vessels; sometimes you see an ima artery or vein. Lots of factors can modify the time a trach takes.

The trachs taking the longest have been the 450-600 lbs bariatric patients. I am only 5'7" and my attending is even shorter. Its like "Mission Impossible" trach with both of us hanging from the ceiling in suspession harnesses just to see... the other tough trachs are the obese/short necked trauma patients with a frickin' halo on. My nightmare would be a bariatric patient falling out of bed with an unstable C1,C2 fracture and a halo needing a trach. Just give me the loaded pistol and a dark closet so I can go shoot myself now...

I haven't been sent on a "mission impossible" mission, but since I laughed at your post, I probably will sometime in the near future. Stupid karma.

esclavo said:
The trachs taking the longest have been the 450-600 lbs bariatric patients. I am only 5'7" and my attending is even shorter. Its like "Mission Impossible" trach with both of us hanging from the ceiling in suspession harnesses just to see... the other tough trachs are the obese/short necked trauma patients with a frickin' halo on. My nightmare would be a bariatric patient falling out of bed with an unstable C1,C2 fracture and a halo needing a trach. Just give me the loaded pistol and a dark closet so I can go shoot myself now...

My record is 700 pounds. Yes, thats right. 700. And no, we didn't try to move him to the OR table.

TheThroat said:
My record is 700 pounds. Yes, thats right. 700. And no, we didn't try to move him to the OR table.

700 lbs.?!?! This was a human patient? Or were you sleep walking and found yourself at the vet school trying to stick a garden hose in a cows neck? Wow, 700 lbs! You know what they say about those "corn fed Iowans".... I am transfering all patients over 300 lbs to Iowa City from now on.... :)