Medical Track Your Secondary Application Progress with a Spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After you have submitted your primary application, the real fun begins! Depending on how many schools you are applying to and the number of school systems, it can be challenging to keep track of all of your secondary applications and deadlines. To help you get organized, I’m sharing a spreadsheet I’ve created for you so that you won’t miss anything!

Download your own secondary application spreadsheet
We’ve created the spreadsheet in three formats, so you can choose your favorite:

To use them and edit them, just download to your computer or share to your online drive.

You’ll notice that on this spreadsheet, I’ve included space for multiple application systems. In a glance, you’ll be able to see the bigger picture and track your overall progress in each one. It’s easy to get caught up in the details of secondary application essays and lose sight of the prize.

How to use the spreadsheet
For each school system, I’ve included space for you to list the name of all the schools where you are applying. After that, I’ve included a place for you to list the date that you visited the school or you can use this space to plan a visit. Visiting the school is one of the best ways that you can prepare for secondary essays because you will have much more unique and interesting things to say it if you’ve been there. Visiting also demonstrates genuine interest in their program. You can list then the date you submitted the primary.

Now onward and upwards to the secondaries. Include the date you received the secondary. Return all secondaries within TWO WEEKS to increase your chances of receiving an interview invitation. You can color code the dates in the column to track the ones you returned the fastest. You will see that the sooner you return the secondary, the more likely you are to receive an interview.

In this spreadsheet, you can also track the date you received the interview and the date your interview is scheduled. Be sure to send thank you emails within a week after your interview. Hand written notes are best, but emails will suffice.

You can also track your application status for all the schools. It’s often helpful to color code this column. List the date you have sent any update emails to the school. By the end of each school’s application process, you can list your final status. Don’t give up hope! I’ve had students receive acceptances weeks, even days, before school begins.

Don’t underestimate the importance of staying organized!
I hope this spreadsheet will keep you motivated and on track.

For one-on-one advice and editing for your crucial secondary essays, please see Accepted’s Med School Admissions Consulting and Editing catalog.

Alicia McNease Nimonkar worked for 5 years as the Student Advisor & Director at the UC Davis School of Medicine's postbac program where she both evaluated applications and advised students applying successfully to med school and other health professional programs. She has served Accepted's clients since 2012 with roughly a 90% success rate. She has a Master of Arts in Composition and Rhetoric as well as Literature. Want Alicia to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

How to Create Successful Secondary Applications, a free webinar
Successful Medical School Secondary Application Strategies
Secondary Application Tips: The Experts Speak

This article was originally posted on blog.accepted.com.

Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away. Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.