Tracking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VAgirl

UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of schools that track? The idea of tracking? I'm specifically interested in VA-MD, but any experience with a school that tracks is fine. I've been reading through the VMRCVM curriculum, and in addition to wondering how all that sorts out (do you pick which courses you want to take that are listed as track courses, or are they assigned to you based off of the track you pick?), I'm wondering what people think of tracking in general. Is it great because you get to hone in on an area you love? Bad because you're too focused?

Let's hear what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally don't like the idea of tracking. I am one of those people who has a very curious mind, and tracking seems as though it would inhibit the possibility to let my mind wander. I am pretty sure what I want to do as far as specialty, but that doesn't mean I am not curious to learn about the other aspects of vet med. For me, it is limiting, just my opinion though. :)

Yea, that's what I was thinking, Rex, and then I started reading about it and now I'm not so sure. Anyone with experience in a program like this? What are the pluses? Minuses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a first year, I have not dealt much with the tracking system, but CSU does track. In your third year you have your choices of large, small, or general... In my mind it is sort of nice... if you are sure of what you want to do, you can get a lot of extra experience... if you are not sure or plan on doing mixed you can track general which is a decent mix of both large and small.

Here is a blurb from CSU's FAQ page http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/cvmbs/tip.htm:

1. Does CSU's veterinary program have tracking? What is tracking all about?
    CSU does have a tracking system. The Senior Practicum training includes three major tracks, large animal practice, small animal practice, and general practice. Students choosing the small animal practice track have the option to use elective choices and free time to expand their education to include food animal medicine and surgery or equine medicine and surgery lecture courses. They may also allocate some of their elective time in the 4th year to rotations in areas outside small animal practice. Within the large animal practice track, students may elect to place greater emphasis on food animal medicine and surgery or equine medicine and surgery through selection of specific laboratories and clinical rotations. Students in the large animal practice track may also add small animal medicine and surgery courses and clinical rotations as electives to their program of study to obtain a broader education. The general track provides a balance of instruction and clinical experience in all areas, but requires greater individual creativity in designing elective rotations for increased focus and proficiency within specialty or species-specific practice areas.

Here, there are three sets of courses, core, track, and elective. As the years go by, you take less and less core and more electives and track courses.

Everyone takes core. Then, you usually have a choice of ~2 out of 3 or 4 track classes per semester, except second year when you usually only have one track course per sem - they ease you into it. Electives are open for everyone, though! You can be small animal track and take a goat/sheep elective, for example.

You can also take some "other track" courses as "electives", unless there is an enrollment cap. I know someone who is Public/Corporate tracking with me here at VMRCVM and they are taking Food Animal Therio (a Food Animal track class) So there is still tons of leeway, for those of you with curious minds!:D

The core courses keep me more than up to speed on everything I would need to be a competent clinical vet, but I enjoy the detail I am able to study in my chosen field with track courses.

WhtsThFrequency--does it end up saying which track you did on your diploma? Are there certain rotations/experiences only open to people in a particular track? Can you explain more about what the Public/Corporate track is? I'm very interested in infectious diseases/biodefense/public health, but I'm particularly interested in the food animal medicine application of it. Would there be a way to get both the public health side of things with a heavy food animal focus? (Think agroterrorism, FMD, AI, etc.)

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to be down at VMRCVM to interview this week (Thursday) but I'm not sure how much I'll get to ask students/faculty/administration about this stuff when I'm there. I want to start getting my facts straight now. :)

Thanks for all the info!

I'll be there Thursday too! SOOO excited. Good luck with your interview VAGirl!

does it end up saying which track you did on your diploma?

Nope, not to my knowledge. They tell us that many people end up doing something entirely different than what they track, so if you feel, in the middle of fourth year, that you have "chosen the wrong track" - it isn't a big deal at all, you are still perfectly well equipped to do anything.

Are there certain rotations/experiences only open to people in a particular track?

There are some track classes that have enrollment caps on them. In terms of fourth year clerkships, I really don't know - that would be a good question for the adcoms!

Can you explain more about what the Public/Corporate track is? I'm very interested in infectious diseases/biodefense/public health, but I'm particularly interested in the food animal medicine application of it. Would there be a way to get both the public health side of things with a heavy food animal focus?

Public corporate is basically everything from infectious disease, research, exotics, international vetmed, wildlife, food safety, legislature, biodefense and public health, USDA stuff, herd health management (if you're into that, we have SO many great large animal faculty. Dee Whittier runs a Bovine Repro Symposium every other year that is great. He is a fun guy! Dr's Swecker, Pleasant, and Thatcher are all really nice too - Swecker especially, he cracks me up) and everything in between.

If that's what you wanted to do, I'd say track Food Animal track and take PC tracks as electives, or take PC-related free elective (or the other way around, track PC and take FA related electives and try to sneak in some of their track courses as electives for you, which you can probly do because they do not get too full). Have you seen our little course catalog thingie? It has a pretty good list of electives and things on it. It's on the website. Again I would ask adcoms for their input to - they are really pushing their P/C track. There are only maybe 8-10 PCers in my class of 90. Boo hoo! We are lonely!

One of the best things about the PC track is that we have so much freedom fourth years. Instead of having a bunch of rotations we have to choose from, we have a lot of "independent study" or "research" rotations, where basically you can pick whatever you want to do, wherever you wan tto do it. Want to go work for the USDA for a few weeks? Great. Want to work in a lab for a few weeks? Sure. Want to do more field LA work? Go for it. We still have to take the core rotations, however.

My and my friends usually come in between classes to say hi and chat with the people waiting for interviews when they come...if you are interviewing on the hour (like 10, 11, or so) we will probly see ya. The first years and us (the 2nds, that is) are pooling some class funds to get you all cookies too - no stressful interview should be without cookies!

You're also more than welcome to sit in on class or two if you want. Just PM me and I'll double check it with the profs. We've done it before, should be fine. Thursday we have Virology, Clin-Path, CardioRespiratory Med, and Musculoskeletal.

Good luck to you, too, UVA Wahoo!

WTF--thanks for all the great info. And I will definitely be hitting you up for more info, never fear. :D Thanks for being such a great resource!

One of the things I like about the tracking is that I feel like hopefully I will get enough "extra" in one area to go straight out of school to practice. I am too old and will be too poor to mess with residency and whatnot, I want to get to work, and I think tracking may make me feel more confident right out of the gate. Plus I have a good idea what I want to do so I don't mind going in that direction from an early point in my education.