Trad Internship versus Linked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Important question. I was always under the impression that if you didc any sort of DO residency that you could practice your specialty in all 50 states, even the 5 weird states requiring the DO internship. But what about linked specialty DO programs that combine the DO intern year and the PGY1 year altogether? Like in OBGYN, you can either enter a DO residency as a PGY1 a year after completing a traditional internship, adding up to a 5 year OBGYN residency. But what if you are accepted to the linked program that is a total of 4, and shaves internship down to 6 months and gives you PGY1 in 6 months? If you do the linked program, you are boarded by the AOA, but can you practice in those 5 strange states without the full traditional DO rotating intern year?

Members don't see this ad.

PACtoDOC said:
Important question. I was always under the impression that if you didc any sort of DO residency that you could practice your specialty in all 50 states, even the 5 weird states requiring the DO internship. But what about linked specialty DO programs that combine the DO intern year and the PGY1 year altogether? Like in OBGYN, you can either enter a DO residency as a PGY1 a year after completing a traditional internship, adding up to a 5 year OBGYN residency. But what if you are accepted to the linked program that is a total of 4, and shaves internship down to 6 months and gives you PGY1 in 6 months? If you do the linked program, you are boarded by the AOA, but can you practice in those 5 strange states without the full traditional DO rotating intern year?

hello!
i believe that for those 5 states, they require an AOA "approved" internship, not necessarily a AOA rotating internship.

so if you do any AOA residency (even fast track programs), you can practice in those 5 states.

applicant2002 said:
hello!
i believe that for those 5 states, they require an AOA "approved" internship, not necessarily a AOA rotating internship.

so if you do any AOA residency (even fast track programs), you can practice in those 5 states.

That is correct, for MI at least. If you do any AOA program you are set, you just have to be careful in how you set things up for an allopathic program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sort of the same topic, but different question...

How hard is it to transfer to an allopathic program (IM or something primary care-ish) after doing a traditional rotating internship at an AOA program? Do you go through the whole application and match process again?

sophiejane said:
Sort of the same topic, but different question...

How hard is it to transfer to an allopathic program (IM or something primary care-ish) after doing a traditional rotating internship at an AOA program? Do you go through the whole application and match process again?

Some allopathic programs will consider your trad internship the same as the allopathic transitional year and waive that year for you. Many of them here in MI do this in order to accomodate DO's who want to do an allopathic residency, but need that trad internship to get licensed. It depends on the program as to whether you can do this or not. I don't know much about it as I am 4 years away from that, but maybe someone else can comment further for you.

In PA many of the hospitals that offer an AOA internship year offer a fast track into their allopathic residency (primary care residencies - IM and FP). Many of the hospitals in PA (well, Pittsburgh at least) that offer an allopathic residency are in the process of becoming dually accredited. I am applying for family practice this year, and this is the case at all of the places I applied - they are either dually accredited or are in the process of becoming dually accredited.

So the answer is that as medic170 said, most primary care residencies (IM and FP, not OB/Gyn though) will consider the rotating internship as your PGY-1 year and you will not have to do an extra year of residency.

DOtobe said:
In PA many of the hospitals that offer an AOA internship year offer a fast track into their allopathic residency (primary care residencies - IM and FP). Many of the hospitals in PA (well, Pittsburgh at least) that offer an allopathic residency are in the process of becoming dually accredited. I am applying for family practice this year, and this is the case at all of the places I applied - they are either dually accredited or are in the process of becoming dually accredited.

So the answer is that as medic170 said, most primary care residencies (IM and FP, not OB/Gyn though) will consider the rotating internship as your PGY-1 year and you will not have to do an extra year of residency.

Thanks. My big concern is having to go through the match again. Does anyone know how that works once you have finished your internship year? Is there a separate application process or are you thrown in with all the 4th years?

When I applied this year, the applications for the places I applied to had a spot where I could check off that I was applying for the AOA internship with a fast track into the family practice residency.

So you are considered for both the internship and the residency at the same time - there is not another match after you finish your intern year.

DOtobe said:
When I applied this year, the applications for the places I applied to had a spot where I could check off that I was applying for the AOA internship with a fast track into the family practice residency.

So you are considered for both the internship and the residency at the same time - there is not another match after you finish your intern year.

If you do a Traditional Internship, you do in fact have to reapply for the match the next year if you did not also match into a program that is 2-4, 2-5 for instance. Like anesthesia, rads, ophtho etc... which don't have built in intern years. So if you enter a traditional internship hoping to figure out what it is that you really want to do, then you do in fact reapply to any program that will take you as a PGY2.

I don't think it will be a case of not knowing what I want to do...but like you were saying, Matt--I don't want to get stuck not being able to practice in one of the 5 magic states (I prefer that to "strange", thank you very much, since one of them holds my hometown! :) )

What a pain to have to go through the match again though.

I hear that the AOA is getting a lot more lenient on approving internship years, even ones that do not have dual accreditation. I hear it is a lot of paperwork but if you get all your ducks in a row they generally approve most allo programs, as long as you get your OMT in somehow.

They aren't really in a position to be turning their backs on any new D.O.'s at this point.

Who's Matt??????

Anyway, true, you don't have to apply for an AOA intern waiver if the program is already dually accredited. With Rads though for instance, you match for both your trad intern one place and your rads PGY1 all during MS4, but some people choose to do them at different places. Sent you a PM SJ but it was full.

oops...blew your cover...you just better not blow mine or my tires are gonna get slashed. better start walking to school. ;)

I'll clean out the PM folder.

What about IM? The thing is, I actually want to learn more OMT and be able to use it. I really would like to do an osteo internship but I don't want to have to reapply to get into an allo program for PGY 2 and 3.