Traditional year (AOA internship) --> PGY2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BullsDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a decent match week. This year was brutal for psych...had 10 + ACGME places ranked, but didn't get in. I scrambled into a AOA traditional year. I assume my best bet is to try to get a pgy2 spot next year at AOA psych program (guessing AOA traditional year won't transfer over to ACGME program).

I'm wondering if any DOs did this in the past. NMS (AOA match system) opens in August so my application will basically be the same with a slightly different PS explaining my traditional year decision.
1) How do you even apply for a pgy2 spot? I'm guessing it's not advertised.
2) And do people go through the match system for the pgy2 spot? If so, do you rank PGY2 spots higher than PGY1 spots in the ROL to preferably match into a pgy2 spot?
3) Do you recommend taking the COMLEX Level 3 during the traditional year? Personally, I don't see much benefit. It seems more risk free to take it after matching next year without worrying about forgetting material.

Thanks and congrats to everyone who matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump.
Wondering if any DOs are in the same boat at the moment?

Bump, and any advice on the COMLEX level 3 timeline on when it should be taken? Thanks