Quantcast

2nd year resident switching to psych (PGY1 vs PGY2 position)

Build Your Dream Psychiatry Practice Free Training
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know this is last minute but any advice/input will be much appreciated.

I am in 2nd year of residency and wish to switch to psych.
I currently have a couple of programs that are willing to offer me a PGY1 psych position through the Match (rank list is due tomorrow- February 26), and need to let them know if I'll accept this as soon as possible. My preference though is for a second year position for the 2020-2021 academic year, and I have interviewed with a few programs that are considering me for the PGY2 position. The thing is, these programs have not given me any assurances and will make their final decisions in a couple of weeks.
I'm quite confused and don't know exactly what to do.
I'd personally like to continue pursuing the PGY2 positions but I don't want to lose the PGY1 position and not have any position at all.
Any input/advice as previously stated will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Hold the gain"
You'll submit your rank list and start as PGY-I, because the risk and gamble to get the better deal as a PGY-II just isn't worth the gamble.
You want to be a Psychiatrist, seize the apple within reach not the one out of reach.

Reactions: 1 user

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Even if you are PGY-2 by definition, I doubt you have enough psych rotations to technically qualify for that rank so in effect you would be a PGY-1 anyway. We start folks as 1st year and then if they have enough credits halfway in they jump to PGY-2

Reactions: 1 user