2nd year resident switching to psych (PGY1 vs PGY2 position)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know this is last minute but any advice/input will be much appreciated.

I am in 2nd year of residency and wish to switch to psych.
I currently have a couple of programs that are willing to offer me a PGY1 psych position through the Match (rank list is due tomorrow- February 26), and need to let them know if I'll accept this as soon as possible. My preference though is for a second year position for the 2020-2021 academic year, and I have interviewed with a few programs that are considering me for the PGY2 position. The thing is, these programs have not given me any assurances and will make their final decisions in a couple of weeks.
I'm quite confused and don't know exactly what to do.
I'd personally like to continue pursuing the PGY2 positions but I don't want to lose the PGY1 position and not have any position at all.
Any input/advice as previously stated will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

"Hold the gain"
You'll submit your rank list and start as PGY-I, because the risk and gamble to get the better deal as a PGY-II just isn't worth the gamble.
You want to be a Psychiatrist, seize the apple within reach not the one out of reach.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you are PGY-2 by definition, I doubt you have enough psych rotations to technically qualify for that rank so in effect you would be a PGY-1 anyway. We start folks as 1st year and then if they have enough credits halfway in they jump to PGY-2

Reactions: 1 user