Traffic Misdemeanor Residency Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous2399

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a MS2 at an unranked medical school (MD program). I recently got a minor misdemeanor for marked lane violation/weaving. In most states this would not be a minor misdemeanor but in Ohio is it. All moving violations are minor misdemeanors in Ohio I got a flat tire and swerved into another lane, then I got pulled over by a cop who gave me the ticket and then I called triple A to replace the tire.

I have passed all my classes (1/3- high pass, 2/3- pass), am in the second quartile of my class, have 4 poster presentations from undergrad (currently working on 5th poster), have 2 research experiences in medical school, and I am studying for STEP 1. My MSPE will have no professional concerns on it. How much is this minor traffic violation going to affect my chances for neurology residency. I talked to my school and they said it was not a big deal.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't pay the ticket as this automatically admits you were guilty. Get yourself a lawyer, and get it removed from your records for insurance purposes, other than that I don't think there's any need to sweat it. If it's a misdemeanor category C, it is still a minor traffic violation that should not cause problem. I got a speeding ticket for going 15 over the speed limit on the interstate right before match. In my state this is also a misdemeanor category C. My background check has already been ran by my residency program, which actually is going to be in Ohio, and it was not brought up. I got myself a lawyer to deal with it so insurance doesn't kill me later, but it hasn't been erased yet.

Don't get a lawyer. Just go to your court date looking presentable with the evidence you need to support your case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, don't bother with the lawyer. Go to the court date, explain. If what you're saying is true, they should be able to offer a plea with a non-moving violation or drop the entire thing. Take evidence of the flat tire/tire replacement.

I already got a lawyer and he went instead. I paid the fine and have a misdeamnor C (moving violation). How bad is that? It’s just a minor traffic violation. I guess I should have done things differently in this situation

You'll might have to explain this on future medical licensing and hospital credentialing applications as they ask detailed questions about misdemeanor convictions. Fortunately I think this is not a big deal at all and if you have a saved an explanation with help from your lawyer I doubt it'll be a blockade to anything at all (even a high tier residency is unlikely to care). I won't worry about it -keep a paragraph in a saved file ready to go and be honest on applications about it. Nobody is going to care or think less of you once they read a good explanation, and it won't hold you back from anything.

I think the biggest issue is the stress that it has (and may continue to) caused you. It may be flagged on background checks, and could continue to need to "be explained" down the line (for credentialing, etc.). In the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure that it will have much impact, but it may be a nuisance to you. There's nothing you can do now, but in a situation like that in the future, I would try to do everything you can on the front-end to not have it listed as a misdemeanor.