Traffic Rules After the 30th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProjectDocument

Reaction score
I was recently accepted off of a medical school WL after the 30th and I immediately PTE'd. However, I am still on several other WLs. Am I allowed to remain on these WL's? If I get pulled off the WL to another school, how long can I hold both acceptances before deciding? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants

If you should get even more WL offers, read each one carefully to see how long they are giving you to respond.
You might temporarily have 2 schools in hand, but not more than that. If you decide to change schools to a new one, you need to write to both schools to inform them.
If you get a new WL offer and decide to turn it down, you need to tell the "offering" school.

Reactions: 1 users
Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants

If you should get even more WL offers, read each one carefully to see how long they are giving you to respond.
You might temporarily have 2 schools in hand, but not more than that. If you decide to change schools to a new one, you need to write to both schools to inform them.
If you get a new WL offer and decide to turn it down, you need to tell the "offering" school.
?????? Why do you say this? My understanding is that, after 4/30, you can have as many as you receive, with absolutely no limit at all, for as long as each new school gives you to decide. Where is the limit of 2 coming from?

• Okay...
Members don't see this ad :)
?????? Why do you say this? My understanding is that, after 4/30, you can have as many as you receive, with absolutely no limit at all, for as long as each new school gives you to decide. Where is the limit of 2 coming from?
not a "rule" KnightDoc just common sense and honor system

• Hmm
not a "rule" KnightDoc just common sense and honor system
I didn't mean to be dense, fully realize that you are very knowledgeable and experienced, and was not intending to advocate for gaming the system. It never occurred to me, given that a LOT of the expected WL movement will be occurring over the next few weeks, that common sense or honor would dictate that holding 2 As would be permissible, but not more, if, for example, you had one PTE on 5/1 and received 3 As off WLs in the following week, where each school gave you a week or two to decide.

I want to do the right thing myself, and wanted to know what the requirements are for when I advise anyone who asks. I have always been led to believe that it is perfectly acceptable to hold all As received in the two weeks prior to 4/30, as well as any time thereafter, as long as the issuing schools allow, with absolutely no ethical qualms or violations of common sense or honor. Why would, or should, anyone feel compelled to act before a school requires, merely because they are blessed with more than two choices, and common sense and honor dictate that they reduce to two immediately in order to expedite by a few days the next call someone will receive when excess As are dropped?

I honestly had never heard this before, and was truly wondering if I missed something. Now that you have explained, I just have to say, as someone who might be in this position next year, that I respectfully disagree with your logic, but now understand where you are coming from. :)

I didn't mean to be dense, fully realize that you are very knowledgeable and experienced, and was not intending to advocate for gaming the system. It never occurred to me, given that a LOT of the expected WL movement will be occurring over the next few weeks, that common sense or honor would dictate that holding 2 As would be permissible, but not more, if, for example, you had one PTE on 5/1 and received 3 As off WLs in the following week, where each school gave you a week or two to decide.

I want to do the right thing myself, and wanted to know what the requirements are for when I advise anyone who asks. I have always been led to believe that it is perfectly acceptable to hold all As received in the two weeks prior to 4/30, as well as any time thereafter, as long as the issuing schools allow, with absolutely no ethical qualms or violations of common sense or honor. Why would, or should, anyone feel compelled to act before a school requires, merely because they are blessed with more than two choices, and common sense and honor dictate that they reduce to two immediately in order to expedite by a few days the next call someone will receive when excess As are dropped?

I honestly had never heard this before, and was truly wondering if I missed something. Now that you have explained, I just have to say, as someone who might be in this position next year, that I respectfully disagree with your logic, but now understand where you are coming from. :)
I try to state advice as simply as possible and leave off all the "what if this and what if that?" variations. People can ask for clarification if needed.

A more complete answer to @ProjectDocument 's question would have been that selecting PTE on the AMCAS CYMS tool DOES allow you to remain on wait lists.

Reactions: 1 user
I was under the same impression as @KnightDoc. As long as we're following each school's rules, I'm not sure why we shouldn't take the time given us to consider our options as they become available. Obviously this assumes that we immediately drop any schools we're not interested in, and don't draw the decision-making out unnecessarily.

the effective rule here is the shortest time frame that any of the accepting schools give you.
Yes, but only for that school! Nothing in the so-called "rules" implies that any school has veto power over any consideration, deadline, extension, exception, or anything else granted by any other school. That would be a form of acting in concert, or collusion. I don't need School A's consent to hold an A from School B, without selecting PTE, if School B allows it, for whatever reason (they are giving me more time to wait for fin aid, they're nice guys, they don't require the use of PTE, whatever).

I absolutely DO NOT have to drop all As but one by the shortest deadline established by any school. I only have to decide whether to PTE or drop THAT school by the deadline. No rule, or anything else, stops me from PTEing that school and still holding all the others until their respective deadlines.

why do you go off and look at things backwards:
1) The question was about getting multiple A off WL at same time. In that situation, the effective rule would be whatever school has the shortest time to take action.
2) There is nothing in the rules that says any school has any veto power because each school sets their own policy and timeframe and dont consider another school's policy. By that reality the school with the shortest time frame in fact does have veto power by forcing to take action. If you dont take action you lose it.
3) Most schools dont care about any potential collusion or collaboration. Only AMCAS cared and most schools are still pissed off about CYMS.
I agree with you, and I think we are saying the same thing. Yes, each school sets their own policy, and we, as applicants, have to abide by each of them.

If I hold 5 As today, one of which was PTE on 4/30, one which has a 5/10 deadline, one 5/13, and two 5/17, I can hold all 5 until 5/10, 4 until 5/13, and 3 until 5/17, at which time I have to reduce to one, agreed?

If so, all I was doing was clarifying your original comment that "the effective rule here is the shortest time frame that any of the accepting schools give you." That's true, but only with respect to that one school. I think you agree, no? Your original comment implied I would have to reduce to one by the earliest deadline, but that's clearly not the case, correct?

I agree with you but that wasnt the question. The situation asked is the situation answered. It is limiting reagent in a chemical reaction. remove a reagent you have a different reaction and situation
You are, as usual, 1,000% correct! :) For the record, though, I was reacting to a reagent change introduced by a participant other than the OP, in order to clarify things for myself as well as anyone else reading later! :)