Traffic rules - Multiple Acceptance Report questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostra_damus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I had some questions about the MAR for the 2018-2019 cycle.

• When you accept an offer from a school, you are essentially holding your spot at the school, correct? This isn't binding in any way?
  • When you accept this offer, what can other schools see? Can they see that you just have X acceptance or can they see where you've been accepted?
  • How does the MAR affect offers once it is released (also, when is it released? February?)? Is it possible that schools may look at the MAR and see that somebody has already been accepted by another school and decide not to give an offer to that candidate? I ask because many schools that I applied to are non-rolling and I recently got accepted to a rolling school but would like to wait on the other schools before deciding where I would like to be.

Thanks for any and all help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that the medical admission report is no longer a thing. Which is why a ton of people will be waitlisted and sooner or later we will likely have to deal with increased prices to reserve a seat.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that the medical admission report is no longer a thing. Which is why a ton of people will be waitlisted and sooner or later we will likely have to deal with increased prices to reserve a seat.
Upon further research, this is what I am getting too. So, there is no downside to accepting an offer of acceptance if you are given one? Hopefully somebody more familiar with the process might be able to chime in?

Members don't see this ad :)
For MD, there is no longer the multiple or national acceptance report. Instead, these are the new guidelines: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...c-amcas-tool-choosing-your-medical-school.pdf

You don't have to commit to a school until April 30th at the earliest, and other schools don't see your acceptances until the cycle closes (in the following fall).

Thanks! And just so I am clear, schools also don't see *how many* acceptances you hold at any point in time until April 30? Essentially, they won't know anything about a particular applicant until April 30. And prior to that, after February 19, they will only have numbers on who has selected them as a "Plan to Enroll" school?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! And just so I am clear, schools also don't see *how many* acceptances you hold at any point in time until April 30? Essentially, they won't know anything about a particular applicant until April 30. And prior to that, after February 19, they will only have numbers on who has selected them as a "Plan to Enroll" school?

This is not difficult. Hold on to as many acceptances as you want. By April 30 choose the one you wish to keep and withdraw from the others. Done.

Reactions: 8 users
According to those AAMC guidelines, you can hold onto as many acceptances as you want until April 15th, when you need to choose 3 (but can keep all the waitlists). And yes, that's what it reads like for me, that after Feb 19th they will only have aggregate numbers of who is planning (not committing) to enroll vs another school (but not the name). After April 30th it looks like they can see if you've actually chosen to commit to their school or another school (but again not the name). They won't know what you've chosen until the fall (after matriculation).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not so fast everybody. It is absolutely true that there is no longer any acceptance reports. It is also true that the AAMC guidelines call for schools to adhere to a suggested timeline. However, since these “regulations” are now clearly only guidelines and are specifically nonbinding, until the schools themselves have these suggested steps as part of their formal policy, there is nothing to prevent a school from requiring say a $1000 nonrefundable deposit within two weeks in order to hold your acceptance. While it is highly unlikely that schools will suddenly start moving from previous procedures, the AAMC is now rolling out tools where students can put in acceptance info, and the AAMC is recommending that school adopt policies that require applicants to do so, so effectively by next February, schools will have have the same info as the previous acceptance reports provided.
Can confirm. Had to shell out $1000 in a non refundable deposit for an MD lol

Reactions: 2 users
When I think about the deposit money I lost holding seats to DO schools I get sick to my stomach.

1) It's insurance money
2) You'll make a lot more back as a doctor

They call it "investing in your future." I call it taking out an immediate loan with a high APR.

Reactions: 2 users