Training advice for a scavenging dog

Started by Jakesmom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jakesmom

Ohio State CVM c/o 2015!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Help! I just adopted a 3 year old dog and she is a total scavenger. She was very underweight when I got her and I have the feeling that her previous owner rarely fed her and she had to resort to grabbing what she could off the counters. Not only does she put her paws up on the counter to see what's up there, but I've even caught her standing on top of the counter with all 4 paws! I've already made sure I keep everything in a cupboard, but does anyone have any advice to keep her off the counters? When I catch her up there, I always tell her "OFF!" but that's not really working.
 
Find a trainer and work on a really good "off" with her. Also work on "leave it" and a good recall ("come").

Also keep in mind that you said she is very underweight, which may be part of the problem. Talk to your vet about a proper diet to get her back up to a healthy weight. That may help some of the countersurfing.

Furthermore, it's important to realize that if she doesn't know what "off" means, your telling her to do it is like speaking in Russian, Japanese, or any other language to her. She doesn't know what you mean until you implement a training program designed to teach her what you want when you say "off". I love when clients tell their dog to "sit, sit, sit, sit, sit, sit." Your dog looks at you like you're crazy because they have no idea what you want them to do :laugh:

Bribing may also work in the short term (ooh, you have tasty treats that are much better than what I would get on the counter). But I wouldn't recommend it long-term. Keep an eye on her at all times. If you're not watching her, keep her in a crate or an isolated area where she can't get into trouble. This is only temporary, so don't worry in the short-term!

You could also just ignore it. You are giving her attention (albeit, in your opinion, negative) by telling her to get off and making a big deal out of it. A behavior that is not reinforced (either positively or negatively, punished or rewarded) will decrease in frequency. Of course, if it's a safety concern, then you should definitely do something about it.

If you're really looking for a short fix, then limit (or prohibit) her access to the problem area (ie, the kitchen). Only allow her in there with your supervision, and any sign of countersurfing will result in her being removed from the room. She'll get the picture pretty quickly.


Sorry this is so trite, I'm coming off of a bad organic chemsitry grade that I'm still livid about. Feel free to PM.


~NStarz

Credentials: Adoption counselor at a large private shelter, including behavior modification in "difficult-to-adopt" dogs
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd definitely crate her when you're not around to keep an eye on her. And do your best not to keep anything too tempting up there. My dog would definitely jump up on the counter, all four paws, when I first got her. I left her with the roommates one thanksgiving and they stepped out and she ate two pumpkin pies and a pan of brownies. With basic training not targeted specifically at that she became better all around and no longer jumps on the counter. Also, a bored dog will look for trouble. If I don't take my dog for walks, runs, go to the park, etc she will start misbehaving.
 
Great advice 🙂

Just want to add, that any time she finds anything desirable on that counter, it's positive reinforcement and will entice her (ie train her) to keep doing it. So make sure you're diligent about keeping the counters clear of anything, and I would put a gate up or in some other way restrict her from getting in the kitchen when you're not watching, as NStarz suggested 🙂

NStarz, if it's any consolation... I've forgotten all of Orgo and it's done me no harm 😉 Not that that helps with admissions but hopefully it offers some comfort!

ETA: (sorry, OT!) I just filled out a form today to start volunteering at the PSPCA, so excited! I wont be counseling, but I'm hoping to do some good exercising and behavior modification to help some get adopted...

Oh you can counsel too if you want! Non-crazy people that want to help out in adoptions are like gold.