Training for the experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am an undergraduate at a 4-year university and I wish to take one year off before matriculating into medical school.

I once took a military sociology class and the professor used to encourage students to take time off and do some training before heading to graduate school. I cannot remember whether he said to take 1 year off, or more than 1 year.

Are there any options where I can train (for about a year) to get some valuable life skills and experience without an obligation to serve and be called for duty? I intend to go back to be a civilian and do not intend a career a military medicine or the military.

I know it's something that the military would not like to hear, but nonetheless, I would really like the life experience.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

blahman said:
Are there any options where I can train (for about a year) to get some valuable life skills and experience without an obligation to serve and be called for duty? I intend to go back to be a civilian and do not intend a career a military medicine or the military.
Why on earth would the military have any desire to train you for a year and then have you not be in the military? I guarantee you that any training the military provides you will come at a price of service owed.

blahman said:
I know it's something that the military would not like to hear, but nonetheless, I would really like the life experience.
I have a hunch you'd be a bit amazed at how little the military probably cares about your trying to build up "life experience."

Get out and get a job and work full time. You'll get plenty of life experience. If service interests you, look into AmeriCorps, which doesn't pay well, but lets you serve communities that very much need you and you get some scholarship money to boot.

i took a year off between undergrad and med school...

for six months, i worked in my undergrad research lab to continue doing the work i wsa doing as an undergrad...

the second six months of the year, i was a camp counselor at a ymca camp on an island in the state of WA...the best six months of my life, so far.

don't waste your time trying to find something with the military to 'do'...they will certainly find a way to 'DO' you when you're active duty...

**** the military!

TNS