Training License/Certificate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any of you applying, were you able to obtain your license without your actual medical degree from your US MD school. My school gives out our degrees in June, but I’ve heard processing for a training license can take up to 4-6 weeks. Confused as to how this works and if I should start working on getting my license (application) now instead of later. I’m also waiting on a Step 2 CS result coming soon which is why I’ve been waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Talk directly to your program coordinator. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

The answer will be different for each state. That said, I can't imagine any state will give you a license unless you're a doctor, and you're not a doctor until you get a diploma. Processing of training licenses is usually much quicker than 4-6 weeks. But, it's state dependent, and the person who will know is the PC.

In some states, it isn't necessary to have the training license in hand to start residency. I didn't have my training license until September. The state where my residency was located \issued a letter stating that my application was received and that I could start working as an intern while they were processing my application.