Training or unrestricted license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kash_711

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot moonlight for the first 2 years, but should I get an unrestricted license / DEA for fellows clinic, for prescribing opiods for continuity clinic or will I be fine without it ?

thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot moonlight for the first 2 years, but should I get an unrestricted license / DEA for fellows clinic, for prescribing opiods for continuity clinic or will I be fine without it ?

thank you !
You will be fine. How did it work for your residency? Same deal here.

Also, this kind of question is so program and state specific that it’s best answered by the PC.

Also, not sure what state you’re going to, but 2 months to get an unrestricted license is somewhere between ballsy and impossible.

Part of the decision will also entail how frequently you will need to renew the training license vs. a full unrestricted license. In the state that I will be going to, the training license requires renewal more frequently, and in the long run it was more worth it to get the full license.

Yeah and I agree with ^ that you gotta get on it ASAP. I'm surprised your PC hasn't chewed you out about getting a license already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies

I have my training license just was wondering if I should go for the upgrade now or in 2 years when I can moonlight

You should check with your program to see what they recommend. If they require you to get a full license, then you don't really have a choice. If it's super important to you, you should also see how it affects moonlighting in your program or state (many programs don't let you moonlight outside their own hospital anyway).

Having said that, I got an unrestricted license during fellowship and it basically didn't do anything for me other than cost me more money upfront and for renewals