Trans Group resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Affectual

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm currently on internship and will be co-leading a group for transgender individuals. However, I have not been able to find any evidence-based group treatments for this population. Before I create my own in collaboration with my supervisor, I was wondering if anyone had any leads on some solid programming. Most of them are struggling with some degree of gender dysphoria (hate that phrase but going with it..) and minority stress/lack of social support (note: the part of the country I am in this year is not very affirming of lgbtq individuals). I am thinking of including psychoeducation (esp WRT to structural/interpersonal/individual stigma), CBT, and some existential/humanistic meaning-focused interventions. I will, of course, also provide some time for people to process and share their experiences but am cognizant of the potential for co-rumination.

This is a burgeoning area of interest for me and I'm totally open to suggestions! I have the most experience with CBT and DBT. Though I have a significant amount of group experience, most of it has been with adolescents (this will be an all adult group).

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
One idea could be to ask the group members for topics they'd like to cover during the group, and work in skills/interventions that relate to each topic.

Hi everyone!

I'm currently on internship and will be co-leading a group for transgender individuals. However, I have not been able to find any evidence-based group treatments for this population. Before I create my own in collaboration with my supervisor, I was wondering if anyone had any leads on some solid programming. Most of them are struggling with some degree of gender dysphoria (hate that phrase but going with it..) and minority stress/lack of social support (note: the part of the country I am in this year is not very affirming of lgbtq individuals). I am thinking of including psychoeducation (esp WRT to structural/interpersonal/individual stigma), CBT, and some existential/humanistic meaning-focused interventions. I will, of course, also provide some time for people to process and share their experiences but am cognizant of the potential for co-rumination.

This is a burgeoning area of interest for me and I'm totally open to suggestions! I have the most experience with CBT and DBT. Though I have a significant amount of group experience, most of it has been with adolescents (this will be an all adult group).

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about anything. But I suspect that they should be exposed to the humility that any human being naturally faces when their lives fail to turn out to their satisfaction. Maybe they could do something different.