Transcript and MCAT for AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medgrant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I was looking into a schools deadlines for this cycle. They mention that transcripts from all schools attended after highschool need to be verified via AMCAS by a specific date. I have about 12 hours of transfer credit from a dual enrollment program from highschool. These courses show up on my undergraduate transcript at my current university as verified and applied transfer credits with specific course details. Do I need to get an official transcript sent from the dual enrollment school as well, or just from my current university?

I assume I need both transcripts sent in.. These credits are verified and applied at my university through a state-university network agreement involving most entry level courses, so maybe it's not necessary?

2) Also, for financial reasons, I had to take a heavy course load this term to graduate and am starting to realize I can only put in a few hours every weekend into MCAT prep. to ensure I make a 4.0GPA for the term. I was intending on taking MCAT around the end of May, but I will be rushing myself if I do that. I spend 90% of my free time doing school work/studying, so I don't have much time to throw in serious MCAT prep. I'm in class most days from 8-12 and 1-530. For non-early decision applications, most schools I want to apply to have an AMCAS application deadline around early November and an MCAT score deadline around mid December. I know you can apply to a school without having your MCAT scores in.

I'm well aware that having everything completed and verified ahead of time is important, but I'd rather be 100% confident that I prepped enough. I want to do my "best" the first time around and not retake the MCAT. Is it fine if I have everything ready, but extend my MCAT date?

For example, taking the MCAT in early August still leaves me about 8 weeks after scores are released to figure out any MCAT/transcript issues and about 14 weeks to figure out other small issues. By most standards (especially SDN standards) this extension is pushing it. Even with a late test date, I feel that there is a decent amount of time for me to finalize my application. Thoughts?

TL;DR

1) I have dual enrollment credit from higschool. These credits were transferred, accepted, and applied on my transcript towards my degree. Do I need transcripts from both schools sent for my AMCAS application or just my actual undergrad. school?

2) I wanted to take the MCAT in late May for the regular application cycle. Life happened, and I wont be fully prepared to take it until August. Scores are released in mid September and schools have deadlines for verified MCAT scores around mid December. I will have every other major part of my application ready way before these dates. Can I extend my MCAT date from May to August to ensure I do my best for MCAT prep.?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I was looking into a schools deadlines for this cycle. They mention that transcripts from all schools attended after highschool need to be verified via AMCAS by a specific date. I have about 12 hours of transfer credit from a dual enrollment program from highschool. These courses show up on my undergraduate transcript at my current university as verified and applied transfer credits with specific course details. Do I need to get an official transcript sent from the dual enrollment school as well, or just from my current university?

I assume I need both transcripts sent in.. These credits are verified and applied at my university through a state-university network agreement involving most entry level courses, so maybe it's not necessary?

2) Also, for financial reasons, I had to take a heavy course load this term to graduate and am starting to realize I can only put in a few hours every weekend into MCAT prep. to ensure I make a 4.0GPA for the term. I was intending on taking MCAT around the end of May, but I will be rushing myself if I do that. I spend 90% of my free time doing school work/studying, so I don't have much time to throw in serious MCAT prep. I'm in class most days from 8-12 and 1-530. For non-early decision applications, most schools I want to apply to have an AMCAS application deadline around early November and an MCAT score deadline around mid December. I know you can apply to a school without having your MCAT scores in.

I'm well aware that having everything completed and verified ahead of time is important, but I'd rather be 100% confident that I prepped enough. I want to do my "best" the first time around and not retake the MCAT. Is it fine if I have everything ready, but extend my MCAT date?

For example, taking the MCAT in early August still leaves me about 8 weeks after scores are released to figure out any MCAT/transcript issues and about 14 weeks to figure out other small issues. By most standards (especially SDN standards) this extension is pushing it. Even with a late test date, I feel that there is a decent amount of time for me to finalize my application. Thoughts?

TL;DR

1) I have dual enrollment credit from higschool. These credits were transferred, accepted, and applied on my transcript towards my degree. Do I need transcripts from both schools sent for my AMCAS application or just my actual undergrad. school?

2) I wanted to take the MCAT in late May for the regular application cycle. Life happened, and I wont be fully prepared to take it until August. Scores are released in mid September and schools have deadlines for verified MCAT scores around mid December. I will have every other major part of my application ready way before these dates. Can I extend my MCAT date from May to August to ensure I do my best for MCAT prep.?

Thanks!
1. I'm pretty sure you need both transcripts, especially because you had credits transferred towards your degree. It would look weird to med schools if you just have something like "transfer" for your grade but don't have a second transcript.

2. September is decently late for applications. Not extremely late, but somewhat. Many schools have secondary deadlines in October I believe, so just keep that in mind if you don't do so well on your MCAT. Yes, you want to take the MCAT only when you are ready, but see how you do on a practice test in May. If you do pretty well (some people do without any studying. I was not one of those people), then you can think about taking it in June or July, which would help your application so much.

It depends also on how the rest of your application is. Do you have ample clinical experiences? Volunteering? How about research? If you're lacking in any (especially clinical experiences), then I would advise taking a gap year and then you don't have to worry about the MCAT timeframe.

EDIT: Personally, I would not apply to too many schools if any this cycle if you end up taking your MCAT in August and don't have amazing stats (for the schools you are applying to).

2. September is decently late for applications. Not extremely late, but somewhat. Many schools have secondary deadlines in October I believe, so just keep that in mind if you don't do so well on your MCAT. Yes, you want to take the MCAT only when you are ready, but see how you do on a practice test in May. If you do pretty well (some people do without any studying. I was not one of those people), then you can think about taking it in June or July, which would help your application so much.

I took a practice exam before starting any review and only scored a 499. Most questions I missed were biochemistry related (which I just got done taking), needed a formula, or was through lack of concentration on verbal passages. I may have to take another exam now, but I doubt my score would go up much past that unless I prepped for the exam.

It depends also on how the rest of your application is. Do you have ample clinical experiences? Volunteering? How about research? If you're lacking in any (especially clinical experiences), then I would advise taking a gap year and then you don't have to worry about the MCAT timeframe.

I do not have a seriously impressive application like some people on SDN; I am above average compared to matriculants at my state schools (when comparing myself to friends and classmates that have been accepted). I have a 3.91 cGPA, 3.98 sGPA. I have ~100 clinical hours from nursing, 150 shadowing hours, 50 volunteer hours at an assisted living facility, ~25 hours of volunteering at small town health drives (Simple examinations and preventable health issue education), and I have ~1.5 years of microbiology related research with one poster presentation at a state bio-medical research meeting (no papers published). Other than possibly needing more volunteering experience, I believe my application is sound. I believe this is especially true considering the quality of clinical experience I received from being a nursing student.

I have friends who are getting interviews at these state schools with minimal clinical experience, which I find to be a joke.. but, to each his own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in one of the better states/easier states to get into med school (TX, FL, VT, OR, etc.)? I don't know all of them but they're around here on sdn somewhere. If so that would be in your favor. You don't have impressive ECs, but I didn't really either when I applied. Though I stood out by doing a lot of different things that I enjoyed (clubs, hobbies in addition to my volunteering/shadowing). You have a great GPA, and if you can score well/really well on the MCATs, I think you'll have a great shot at getting in, even if you apply late in September.
I personally think you'll have a better shot of getting in by taking a gap year and improving your application with more clinical/volunteering hours (unless you are doing that right now). You have more than enough shadowing hours and respectable research. That is my recommendation. I took a gap year and it helped me a lot - especially seeing as my stress levels have subsided for a year. According to my friends (who only told me this now), I looked frazzled during my last two years at my university , and when I visited them this year (for my interview at my alma mater), they said I looked a lot healthier and happier.
People here always say apply broadly and apply once. I applied twice (though the first time was only to my in-state schools because I had a decently low MCAT - taken in May). That might have been a reason that I didn't get into one of my state schools, and am likely to get rejected/waitlisted by the other soon. How the adcoms decide to choose who to interview and accept med students is all an unknown.

As I said, my $.02 is to take a gap year, boost up your application and get a really good MCAT score, and get into a great med school next application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you in one of the better states/easier states to get into med school (TX, FL, VT, OR, etc.)? Though I stood out by doing a lot of different things that I enjoyed (clubs, hobbies in addition to my volunteering/shadowing).
Fortunately (unfortunately?), I am. I'm from LA. Another thing I have that may make me stand out as an applicant is that I'm an immigrant. I have been through a lot and have had experiences that most don't ever think about.

I personally think you'll have a better shot of getting in by taking a gap year

I switched majors from nursing to biology, which put me about two years behind in Chemistry and a year in Biology courses. About a year of my existing credits didn't go towards anything in biology. I was practically in Gen. Chemistry when I should have been taking the MCAT. I'll still be graduating on time, but a gap year was/is inevitable. I may just end up having to take two gap years. Either way, my ECs will still improve over time.

I took a gap year and it helped me a lot - especially seeing as my stress levels have subsided for a year.

I can seriously agree here! If I would have started school as a biology major I would have graduated in a little less than three years. That still wouldn't change the fact that I need a break from the school I attend/the town I live in. It's not even stress related, but this town has progressively degraded my quality of life. Everyone I knew transferred schools, I see why now :shifty:. I just need to move out of here.. Which will be happening soon!

5) Even if you have everything transmitted to the school by September, including MCAT, you will be at the bottom of the several thousand queued applications ahead of you.

Of course! I just feel that I will still have an upper-hand on most wait-listed / active applicants in my state schools (assuming I do well on the MCAT). Sometimes, I'm disappointed with these schools' standards. That is just a top down perspective on an issue that needs to be fixed from the bottom up, though. I will have much lower chances of getting in so late into a rolling admissions cycle, but I think there's still hope when I consider what kind of applications most of my friends got into school with this, and past cycles.

Here is what I'm thinking right now. I could take the MCAT at this later date, apply to only state schools and see if I get in. If not, I'll be fully prepared to apply broadly next year. If I do get in, I will end up wondering "what if" I could have gotten into a better out of state program. In the end, I believe that I will be just as happy at a state school! Does this sound like a bad idea? Should I just apply broadly to begin with or play it by ear in regards to my MCAT score?

Thank you all for the advice!

Last edited:
CA is one of the most competitive instate schools. This is a disadvantage

If this wasnt California, I would say not a bad idea. But because its CA, it a risky idea as:
1) applying without MCAT
2) applying late
3) high risk of being reapplicant next year

Sorry for the miscommunication! I meant the state of LA, Louisiana.

Of course! I just feel that I will still have an upper-hand on most wait-listed / active applicants in my state schools (assuming I do well on the MCAT).

Here is what I'm thinking right now. I could take the MCAT at this later date, apply to only state schools and see if I get in. If not, I'll be fully prepared to apply broadly next year. If I do get in, I will end up wondering "what if" I could have gotten into a better out of state program. In the end, I believe that I will be just as happy at a state school! Does this sound like a bad idea? Should I just apply broadly to begin with or play it by ear in regards to my MCAT score?

While Louisiana is a very good state for MD Admisison(37% IS matriculation rate, 4th lowest MCAT average amongst matriculants of any state at 29.0) I still dont think this is a great idea

a) 90% of Louisiana applicants who get in will end up staying in state for medical school. The few who leave usually are the ones getting giant scholarships or getting into top 20 schools. Considering most people with a top GPA even wont hit that 97th+ esque MCAT score usually needed to have a chance at being this type of applicant, you cant go in assuming youll be that type without a score.

b) Never plan on being a reapplicant. Your best chance is always a well planned first app, not a reapp. IT's not as simple as "well i can just reapply if i get in no big deal at all". Reapplicants are looked at differently than first time applicants and it is a unfavorable position to be in. How much the reapplicant "stigma" exists can be debated and it will vary but we can all say it's never a positive to be a reapplicant.

c) So given all that, you in some ways kind of have to expect that if you matriculate at an MD school, it will be in-state. So having a plan where you could easily be a reapplicant by your own doing is not wise. Submitting an app before having an MCAT score puts you in the same spot: if you dont get the score you want and will have to retake for next cycle youll do so as a reapplicant to those in-state schools which as Louisina residents heavily rely on.

d) Nobody has an "upperhand" on a waitlist, there are quite a few years where a school either takes no one or very few off the WL. And even top applicants get hurt by having a completed app this late: you cant be assured youll have any "upper hand" even if you do well on the MCAT if it's not in until End of Sept.

Last edited:
If you do decide to apply this upcoming cycle, only choose 1 school to start out with until you get your MCAT scores. Then you should tailor your school choices. However, I am not a fan of submitting so late. So I would say if you are adamant about applying this upcoming cycle, then only choose your in-state schools and schools that interview late in the cycle (Jefferson, Rosy Franklin, MCW, NYMC, some others) because those would be your most likely choices. However, I still would say I am against this and think you would benefit from taking 2 gap years then.

@GrapesofRath is right that reapplicants are looked at differently, and likely more scrutinized than first timers. There is the case that you only have to say you're a reapplicant to the schools that you are reapplying to (and if it asks in the secondaries, which I have had), but nonetheless it's a lot of hassle for you this year and perhaps next year if you decide to reapply. You have to really show how you've improved as an applicant.

Could you shoot for an earlier date and see how you are doing a month out? In addition to studying you will need your PS to be done, you LORs ready, and secondaries prewritten starting the day after you finish the MCAT.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

However, I still would say I am against this and think you would benefit from taking 2 gap years then.

I may just have to do that. I'll have to think about it.

Could you shoot for an earlier date and see how you are doing a month out? In addition to studying you will need your PS to be done, you LORs ready, and secondaries prewritten

Maybe so, I need a little time to think about it. I already have written my PS and my school committee letter fill the LOR need. Is there a general understanding on what kind of questions secondaries ask so I could start putting something together? I haven't ran into many threads discussing secondaries.

I may just have to do that. I'll have to think about it.

Maybe so, I need a little time to think about it. I already have written my PS and my school committee letter fill the LOR need. Is there a general understanding on what kind of questions secondaries ask so I could start putting something together? I haven't ran into many threads discussing secondaries.

If you go look at the 2015-2016 school specific threads you can find the secondaries that were used this year. They tend to not change significantly from year to year so that is a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app