Transcript Exception

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xuannguyen0722

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I was a student from Vietnamese University of Medicine and Pharmacy (2013-2014), and my major was Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (GPA 3.38 after evaluation). When I immigrated to the US, I started going to community college (GPA right now 3.94, sGPA 4.0). All credits from VN was not transferred or used for anything when I studied in the US, but it is reported in my academic record. I am wondering if I can request a transcript exception for those credits from Vietnamese medical school or not because my Vietnamese university has no connection to any US institution. I also very worry if it will be calculated as my overall GPA.
Thank you,
Xuan Nguyen.

I'm pretty sure you need to report classes taken over seas. You can call AMCAS, they gave me a transcript exception pretty easily, but in your case I don't think you can omit your past coursework even if it was overseas (technically speaking).

Reactions: 1 user
I am fine with reporting those grades. As what you mean, those coursework will be calculated along my US coursework, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am fine with reporting those grades. As what you mean, those coursework will be calculated along my US coursework, right?

Unfortunately I'm not sure! I just distinctly remember being asked when filling out my AMCAS app if I had taken coursework over seas or not. I would imagine that they would include this in your GPA calculation, but that schools would evaluate you more on your gpa earned here in the US.

Call AMCAS. They were super helpful to me.

I was a student from Vietnamese University of Medicine and Pharmacy (2013-2014), and my major was Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (GPA 3.38 after evaluation). When I immigrated to the US, I started going to community college (GPA right now 3.94, sGPA 4.0). All credits from VN was not transferred or used for anything when I studied in the US, but it is reported in my academic record. I am wondering if I can request a transcript exception for those credits from Vietnamese medical school or not because my Vietnamese university has no connection to any US institution. I also very worry if it will be calculated as my overall GPA.
If you did not transfer the Vietnamese credits to your current school, why are they "reported in your academic record"?

You are not obliged to list foreign credits on your AMCAS application. Foreign credits will not be verified by AMCAS. And foreign grades are not included in the calculation of your med school application GPA by AMCAS. If you decide to list the foreign courses, then you would request a transcript exemption.

From page 50 of the 2018 AMCAS Instruction Manual:

Independent Attendance, Credits Not Transferred
Courses (other than MD coursework) attempted independently at a foreign institution are
not required to be listed if credit has not been transferred to a U.S. or Canadian institution,
except to meet medical school prerequisites unduplicated by other listed coursework. This
category includes coursework taken in a foreign country before formally enrolling in a
U.S. or Canadian institution as well as coursework taken independently after enrolling in a
U.S. or Canadian institution.

You are not required to list these courses in your AMCAS application, but you may do so
if you would like to make medical schools aware of the courses taken. The coursework
will not be verified by AMCAS and will not be included in your AMCAS GPAs.

If you include this coursework on your application:
 Include the foreign institution in Schools Attended and request a transcript
exception for this school, choose the reason “Foreign Institution—No Credits
transferred.” Do not send foreign transcripts or certificates to AMCAS.
 Provide all required course data except credit hours attempted and grades under the
foreign institution.

If you did not transfer the Vietnamese credits to your current school, why are they "reported in your academic record"?

You are not obliged to list foreign credits on your AMCAS application. Foreign credits will not be verified by AMCAS. And foreign grades are not included in the calculation of your med school application GPA by AMCAS. If you decide to list the foreign courses, then you would request a transcript exemption.

From page 50 of the 2018 AMCAS Instruction Manual:

Independent Attendance, Credits Not Transferred
Courses (other than MD coursework) attempted independently at a foreign institution are
not required to be listed if credit has not been transferred to a U.S. or Canadian institution,
except to meet medical school prerequisites unduplicated by other listed coursework. This
category includes coursework taken in a foreign country before formally enrolling in a
U.S. or Canadian institution as well as coursework taken independently after enrolling in a
U.S. or Canadian institution.

You are not required to list these courses in your AMCAS application, but you may do so
if you would like to make medical schools aware of the courses taken. The coursework
will not be verified by AMCAS and will not be included in your AMCAS GPAs.

If you include this coursework on your application:
 Include the foreign institution in Schools Attended and request a transcript
exception for this school, choose the reason “Foreign Institution—No Credits
transferred.” Do not send foreign transcripts or certificates to AMCAS.
 Provide all required course data except credit hours attempted and grades under the
foreign institution.
Hi there,
All my credits were in my academic record because when I applied HOPE scholarship (GA scholarship), they required me to provide my transcript. I didn't know why, but I had to do it. If they did not send my transcript, I could have trouble with financial aid and HOPE scholarship.
As what you said, I can request a transcript exception for all those credits from Vietnamese university, right?
Thank you so much!!

All my credits were in my academic record because when I applied HOPE scholarship (GA scholarship), they required me to provide my transcript. I didn't know why, but I had to do it. If they did not send my transcript, I could have trouble with financial aid and HOPE scholarship.
As what you said, I can request a transcript exception for all those credits from Vietnamese university, right?
Yes, to the bolded question.

Do the names, grades, and/or hours from the Vietnamese classes appear on the official transcript of your US college?

Yes, to the bolded question.

Do the names, grades, and/or hours from the Vietnamese classes appear on the official transcript of your US college?
Nope. I only submitted it as they said, but they did not count any credits from Vietnam.
Thank you!!!

Send AMCAS an email or call to ask. I asked them about my situation and they said I can get an exception for my foreign transcripts and they aren't going to be calculated into my GPA. Some of my classes were credited to my university btw

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile