transcript validity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vision15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated college in 2006.
I am wondering my transcript is still valid to apply to dental school.
I heard some schools do not accept old transcripts.
Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you mean by your "transcript", but if you're asking about the validity of your degree, then yes, it will always be unless your university revokes your degree for whatever reason. Although your degree is valid, your pre-requisites aren't because pre-reqs are only good for 5 years. If you want to apply to DS, it is likely that you'll need to retake all the pre-reqs.

School's give waivers for the 5 year expiration date for prereqs. I called multiple schools and all of them granted me a waiver for one of my prereqs

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean by your "transcript", but if you're asking about the validity of your degree, then yes, it will always be unless your university revokes your degree for whatever reason. Although your degree is valid, your pre-requisites aren't because pre-reqs are only good for 5 years. If you want to apply to DS, it is likely that you'll need to retake all the pre-reqs.

Where did you see that pre-requisites are only good for 5 years? Just about every school site that I've been to doesn't even mention it. And only a couple list anything about pre-reqs being good for so long in the ADEA guide.

I think the whole "prereqs are only good for X number of years" is a common misconception. Most schools don't have any verbiage regarding this on their websites.

Hi, I graduated college in 2006.
I am wondering my transcript is still valid to apply to dental school.
I heard some schools do not accept old transcripts.
Please let me know.

You heard it right.
Some schools do not accept old transcripts, some schools do.

Your best bet is to contact schools that you want to apply to.

Thanks for replying for my question.
yes, I think it would be better idea to contact schools that I want to apply to.

Thanks for replying for my question.
yes, I think it would be better idea to contact schools that I want to apply to.

I'd start by searching their websites, and then call if you are still unsure. :)

I've heard that schools that do have limits are more likely to take older pre-reqs if you've been working in a field where you use that knowledge to some extent.