Transcription service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have an agency they like to use for transcribing qualitative interviews? The one my group uses appears to be closing its doors, so need to find another. Some in the past have been of absolutely atrocious quality (convinced they just put a mic next to the speaker and ran it through Dragon), so soliciting recommendations. Drafting a grant for basically a pilot study so the budget is kind of tight, but should have enough wiggle room for most things semi-reasonable (one of the few upsides of embarrassingly small samples!).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have access to RAs? My lab has free transcription software and a manual for coding, and we just get the RAs to do it. Takes a little longer than an actual service, but they do a pretty good job (grad students supervise) and it's cheap/free!!! (You know how to contact me if you want more info).

Medical center so RAs are not as easy to come by as I would like. To be clear...we're not THAT tight on budget. I can swing even a couple thousand dollars for this without issue. Tighter on study duration and available person-effort so it needs to be done quickly with minimal effort on our part. Just want to make sure if I do send it out I'm able to find someone who transcribes well and that can comply with the various IRB/security issues.

Last edited:
Medical center so RAs are not as easy to come by as I would like. To be clear...we're not THAT tight on budget. I can swing even a couple thousand dollars for this without issue. Tighter on study duration and available person-effort so it needs to be done quickly with minimal effort on our part. Just want to make sure if I do send it out I'm able to find someone who transcribes well and that can comply with the various IRB/security issues.
I really would suggest looking into court reporting agencies. They're very familiar with confidentiality stuff, quick, and accurate.